Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Why no flowering/fruits?

Posted by LagoMar USDA 8B/AHS 7 (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 3, 12 at 20:29

I have an Ichang Lemon about 4 ft tall that gets morning shade and full afternoon sun, and a Satsuma Mandarin Orange about 6 feet tall that gets early morning shade, mid morning and early afternoon sun and late afternoon shade. Both are in their third year in the ground. Both had flowered the first year that I planted them, but the tiny fruits either fell off or were eaten by animals. This year, I had no flowers on either tree. I water fairly regularly, both on the leaves and around the roots. Any ideas why I am getting no flowers, and therefore no fruit? Do they need to be in the ground a certain number of years? BTW, I also have an apple that has not flowered and a plum that flowered but dropped almost all of it's fruits. The only things growing mad fruits are my fig trees. The soil is likely acidic due to many pine trees around. I live in a cutting in the woods.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Why no flowering/fruits?

Lemons love acid soil. You don't say anything about fertilizer. Citrus need to be fertilized 3-4 times per year with a good balanced citrus food applied at the dripline of the tree. Light is important; but the amount of direct sun is less important; I suspect your problem is lack of food. Another factor is rootstock; some require longer to produce fruit. Enlighten us, post fotos, tell us what you know about the trees. There's lots of help here if you give us something to go on

o

agree with John on the fert.

also, make sure you clear out and weeds/grass/other plants atleast 3-4 feet from the base of your citrus trees. use mulch if your area is very sunny and dry. it also helps to keep the weed seeds from growing.

o

What is a good citrus food? I've been using miracle gro all-purpose organic fertilizer about once a month. Should I fertilize year-round? The orange tree does have some ground cover near it so i'll get rid of that. The satsuma is from Stan McKenzie's citrus farm in SC. The lemon came from a local grower but i know that he gets some of his citrus from Stan as well. I will take pics and post today. Thank you for the help.

o

Ichang Lemon

Here is a link that might be useful: Virginia Beach Weather

o

Satsuma Orange

Here is a link that might be useful: Virginia Beach Weather

o

A good citrus food?? I like Vigoro Citrus and Avocado; also Citrus-Tone... there are lots of others; but I do not like anything Miracle Gro.... they sell to people who don't know any better and don't want to put the energy to learn. For my garden trees I also put a good foliar fert. every 15 days; I like Bayer Bayfolan Forte; but Foliage Pro and others here who use them are as good.

o

I guess when it comes to fertilizer I should have mentioned that it needs to be organic. That plus living in Virginia Beach may limit my options.

o

Espoma Citrus-Tone is organic; in fact it is the only organic fert. I use.

o

The Satsuma looks like it needs more sun. When a plant grows thin and stretched like that it is trying to reach and absorb as much sun as it can get. Even if it did make fruit I doubt the branches would be able to support it. At 3 years you should not have to support a tree with bamboo, at least a tree with no fruit. It could also be a sucker tree. That type of growth is usually a good indicator that you might have one or more suckers growing that you need to cut from below the graft.

If feeding doesnt help, try to see if there is a way to give them more sun and maybe less water. Citrus are semi drought tolerant and do not like wet feet. Citrus love sun all day, high heat with no humidity (less than %60), and a deep watering once every 3-5 days depending on how hot it is outside and dry the soil is. Citrus also love to eat when growing and do not like competition from other plants and root systems.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here