Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
meyermike_1micha

Bugs 3!

meyermike_1micha
9 years ago

Well guys and gal, give it up for Cory, the one who got to make post 150 on the last thread..lol

How are you doing??/ Let me see if I can remember what I read while I post..I am pretty bad about that, so if I have not remembered, please ask me agin))

Cory. Wowowowowowowowowowo..You have to be one of the most knowledgable people I know on orchids...I loe it. Yes, once you divide that one you offered me, please let me know and I will pay you)
Cory, if you could. could you let me know just the kind of orchids that can't tolerate under 65? I may have to put the space heater on very soon if I have any..
Yes, I will be careful..I use the ladder and just water on that...Let me tell you, are my plants responding to the much more sun..Like 10 hours of it! All of them are growing fast!
Hurry up and finish your greenhouse, the winter is coming and the night is well along...
Your are such a beautiful person with beautiful plants.

Maggy..What the heck did you say? lol Now I have to go back and see what you said..Hold on..

Yes, the fruit will continue to grow and ripen if you have lots of sun and warmth..If they are given less than that, they will just hand on and do nothing until conditions are ripe for growth again.
Jamaica? Man..I have a house in Puerto Rico and no time to go there..I use to go every year and I didn't have have much plants as I do now..Sheesh, I'll have to hire someone to live here and water for me.
I can't imagine oranges that cheap and that sweet..Yum.
I am so sorry you hear you had asthma that bad..My goodness. Please, be careful.
Last time I read, I heard you were suppose to have severe weather..Nothing like that here, thank god..Please, make sure the wind doesn't knock you tree down..They LOVE lightning though!

Ok, Now I am titred lol..Poor Brian..My eyes are starting to see blurry..

Brian, I promise I will be back to address you and do more catching up..Sp sorry I was away for a while..
Brian, I will be back..

Good night my wonderful forum friends!
By the way, Josh, greenman had an earthquake, but he is ok..

Mike

Comments (150)

• orangelime1
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Thanks Steve and Maggy my trees are OK , it is just my nerves that have been rattled but then again I am just a big baby .

Brian

• maggyby
    9 years ago

Brian, it is looking like it will be here soon.getting dark and the radar looks like it might be severe. My husband just moved the majority of the trees into the garage.70 miles/ hr winds will surely damage them. I am glad you and your parents are o.k. You are not a big baby. LOL! This storm is not the same one you had as it is coming from Chicago across Michigan . I just got out our emergency lantern as we might lose power. Although I love a good storm I don't like when it damages the environment or property. We have loads of tress so always worried about them hitting the house. Take care .Maggy

• orangelime1
    9 years ago

Stay safe Maggy if you get it I am sure it will be intense . Maggy the lightning was so intense , please do not run outside to fix something . Case and point I went to fix my variegated lemon all the earth came out of the pot , the sun was out and it had been 25 minutes since the storm had passed well didn't a lightning bolt I guess came sideways from that storm Maggy the flash and clap of thunder was at the same time . I can't remember if the scream came first or the jump , very scary stuff . Some very cool pictures on Ottawa news websites . Good idea to keep emergency lights and radio . Looks like round # 2 will be here in about an hour .Next time I will do the same .

Brian

• maggyby
    9 years ago

Brian. That is very scary. Please be careful.. I will take your advise and stay inside.. How is your dog? He must be terrified Be safe . Don't go outside. Again. Maggy

• cory (Zone 7a, NJ)
    9 years ago

Hello all, I never realized how many really bad storms you get in Canada. I hope you are all safe. Just when Maggy's family room is finally repaired from the flood another bad storms comes along. I better check our weather report here too as maybe those storms are on the way here too later. This hot weather has lulled us all into a false sense of security. I have not been keeping track of the hurricanes either. Take care. I hope you will be ok. Mike, maybe you should take your trees down. Do you think the storm is coming our way?

Cory

• orangelime1
    9 years ago

Hi Maggy the pup is very nervous again I guess round # 2 is very close and the radar is showing this line as very intense I hope it falls apart . My brother is helping a neighbor remove a tree from his car with a chain saw . Has it started in Windsor yet? Did you decide on your heater yet ?

Brian

• maggyby
    9 years ago

Cory, we get a lot is severe storms here in Ontario. Thank you for your concern. We are safe. The power has gone out briefly a few times. Thousands are without power across the river in Detroit. I hope you didn't get any bad weather.
    Brian, I saw the Ottawa pictures ,a lot of damage. . Hope round # 2 isn't too severe. It looks like we will get more storms tonight as well. My dog is hiding. He gets nervous too.
    Oh! Sorry I meant to tell you I am going to get the Delônghi tower heater . Thank you for looking and for the advise.
    Steve thank you for your earlier message. I appreciate your your openness and thank you for your answer to my question. I wish you luck with your trees. Grafted trees can be costly . It is indeed a challenge growing citrus in our climate
    Mike we are all hoping you don't get a bad storm. Please take care friends. Maggy

• orangelime1
    9 years ago

Maggy good choice , I might get one myself if I see one in Costco . Your poor pup and there is no way of reassuring them that they are safe . Cory we do get a lot of wicked storms here but this is really late in the season for this kind of stuff. It has been so hot and humid and now we have a cold front plowing into all this humid air . Where there is a cold front there are storms . Round 2 is very close the sky is lighting up like crazy now and I have to be up early . Tomorrow is going to be brutal . I think tomorrrow you guys will have to keep your eyes to the skies although I heard this system is supposed to weaken , I hope so for you guys . Thanks for your concern Cory .

Everyone have a great night .

Brian

• maggyby
    9 years ago

Hi Cory . Thank you for the information. I am not so concerned now about using the physan since it does not have too much scent. I am always cautious after some past experiences. The electrician called this morning while I was at rug hooking but spoke with my husband. Apparently he will be able to wire the greenhouse. I really appreciate all the advise you gave me about the electricity and I agree it is better to be safe and as Brian says have peace of mind and make it a fun experience. The trees spent the night in the garage. Although the storm didn't last long the winds were high and downed trees and wires in the city. We didn't have damage though.
    I understand what you are saying about repotting.i should have done it earlier but I will do it this week. I will barefoot them and I think they will be o.k. I do believe our temperatures are similar to yours . I think the first frost date in near the end of Oct Do I need to worry about frost? The trees are showing a lot of growth presently.
    This week is going to be in the 70's .
    Do you gradually expose your trees to less light before you put them inside the greenhouse? I found an electric heater at Costco. I am going to check tomorrow to see if it is available in the store. If not I will order it. Going to pick up a fan as well. Then have to order the solar cover and get that installed and we are set for the winter.
    Steve, I agree citrus are difficult to grow outside their domain but Cory, Mike and Brian have certainly been successful. As I am new to the process I have certainly learned a lot from my friends here and have the benifts of their experience.
    Brian hope you got your yard cleaned up and that there was minimal damage. I believe your storm was worse than ours. My dog Teddy was hiding under the pillows on the bed and he stayed there all night. He gets really scared like your dog. I imagine you are tired after your trip to Montreal this morning.
    Mike, Hope all is well. I believe you might be getting a storm . I have been thinking about you and those trees up on the roof. I am still in awe of your ponds and beauty you have created. You are very slanted.
    Have a nice Sat. And enjoy. Maggy

• orangelime1
    9 years ago

Hi Maggy wow it has been very busy for the last few weekends . Glad to be back home . We hit a few heavy downpours on the way to Montreal this morning and on the way back the weather was very nice . I am very glad that there was no damage to my trees . My Kishu almost got flattened . Huge mess in my parents neighborhood . Glad to hear there was no damaged done to your property .The heater looks very nice Maggy I think I will buy one to as a backup . Lots of work tomorrow , lots of trimming still to do and we have to finish the the GH floor that should not take long . I am glad you are getting the GH wired can you please take pictures when it's done because I think we will get the wiring done next year . Maggy after this upcoming week the weather is supposed to become very cool , there might even be frost here next weekend . Another bad sign the geese have started to fly south . You are very fortunate to be able to keep your trees out until the middle of October , that would be so nice .Your poor pup the whole night upset and there doesn't seem to be anyway we can comfort them . My pup was OK 30 minutes after the second storm . Has your Kishu started? With the heat and humidity it should have started . Mine the trunk is growing again and it looks like little buds are starting to form . Well Maggy have a great night I think we all will sleep much better tonight .

Have a nice night Cory and Mike I hope everything is well and I hope those nasty storms missed you guys .

Brian

• maggyby
    9 years ago

Hi Brian, Glad you got home safely. It has been busy for you the last two week- ends. It is always nice to be home isn't it. Surrounded by the things and people we care about. We were very lucky that we did not sustain damage but there was damage close to us. Detroit has 300,000 still without power.Putting the trees in the garage was a good idea.
    Wiring the greenhouse will be the best option for me. I will take pictures for you Brian. It is getting expensive to get everything done but there should be little to do next year. We have painted the house,had the flood and have decided we cannot do the trip to Jamaica this year. I think my husband us disappointed but we have three weeks in Portugal in May.
    It is good that your trees did not get damaged and your Kishu is doing well.
    Mine still has not grown but the trunk is definitely bigger. Maybe it is adjusting to the 5-1-1 mix. It looks healthy but no growth on it or the kaffir lime.
    I think the heater looks good. I will drive to Costco tomorrow to see if they have it. If not I will order it. The shipping is included in the price.
    We are fortunate to be able to keep the trees out later. But the frost could come earlier. I want to be prepared.
    I just had to laugh . I am upstairs watching tv ( my husband is watching football in the family room) my dog just saw himself in the mirror and thinks it is another dog. Silly boy he is.
    Have a great relaxing evening. Maggy

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hey my friends! Been out of town, in New Hampshire and was worried about my plants all weekend...Not fun, not when you have tornado warnings all day and can't be home to secure your plants! We had lightning strikes and lots of damage, all the pots but one stood their ground! Yahoo.

Brian, I wanted to say I am so sorry you got all that damage..yikes..Your almost poor Kishu tree..I think it's time to stop bragging about it, right? lol

I will be back later everyone..I have to finish up cleaning the branches in the yard but I will be back to post more.

Love you all

MIke

• maggyby
    9 years ago

Good afternoon friends,Well this morning I finally got the Meyer lemon,key lime,Washington orange and moro orange repotted in 5-1-1. I realize it is late in the season but the soil was just staying too wet. I bare rooted them and the roots were very healthy. Hoping I didn't do damage by repotting at this late date. I have a satsuma mandarin that is in a huge pot and what appears to be a sandy soil. I can't lift it as it is too heavy. I would like your expert opinion as to whether I should leave it in that mix until spring. It is very fast draining. I have been thinking about why some of my trees are not growing. I repotted them in big pots so it would seem that the roots would have to grow first to fill the pot before the canopy grows. I think that is the case with the Kishu and kaffir lime. Brian, I think I see the start of some new leaves on the Kishu today. Is it better to put the trees in smaller pots as opposed to really big ones? I was surprised to see how hot the roots of the trees in black pots were.I think they will be o.k. for winter but may have to change them for summer.
    Mike glad you got away. Hope it was for fun and that you went in your convertible with the top down. I can imagine you were concerned about your trees.I think your area had some rain and storms. We love you too Mike.
    Brian I bet you have been finishing your greenhouse floor. Hope you got a chance to relax.
    Cory just waiting for the physan to arrive. I think I will do as you did and wash
    it with dish soap. Do you spray with the physan and leave it or rinse it off?
    Steve how is the weather in your area? Are your trees inside or outside? I know you overwinter yours differently than we do.
    Hope everyone is having a good day. Maggy

• orangelime1
    9 years ago

Good day good day friends . What a lovely day . Mike so glad your trees were safe , that was a crazy line of thunderstorms . Glad to here you're New Hampshire trip was good . We all need a break once in a while . Maggy ya Hooo the floor is finished looks amazing the trees are trimmed all I need to do is wash them on Wednesday and bring them in and I am all done . I cut my Valencia probably by a quarter you should see the fruit I trimmed off, going to squeeze some orange juice tonight . Ya Hoo your Kishu has started good news . It was 43 degrees this morning and I heard Calgary is in for there first snow storm of the season tomorrow just thought I would cheer you up . We'll back outside , everyone enjoy the sun . Here is a picture of my Valencia after haircut .

Brian

• orangelime1
    9 years ago

Its been a Wonderful day the GH is ready for the trees . I fertilized for the last time now i have to let the trees dry out a bit so I can lift them into the GH on Wednesday . What a relief . You guys have a nice night and here is a picture of my Page what a gorgeous tree and I am not bragging OK maybe just a little bit . I just want to show people it can be done no matter where you live except maybe the artic , who knows maybe there to . You guys have a great night

Brian

• maggyby
    9 years ago

Brian,Your trees are beautiful. Can't believe it is time for you to bring them into the greenhouse. How often will you water once they are inside?
    You must be happy to have everything ready. Good for you. I don't Blame you for wanting to show them. If my trees ever look that good I would be so happy. Have a great evening. Maggy

• orangelime1
    9 years ago

Hi Maggy can you tell I am happy . I have been really worried that the GH would not be ready on time . This year I was really procrastinating did not have the energy and it didn't help the last few weekends have been so busy with this and that . Now I can breathe and relax except for this Wednesday , lots of lifting . Once their in there it is a piece of cake I will only water once every two weeks , it will be so nice . Maggy here is a picture of my lazy Moro blood orange . I trimmed it by half maybe that will get it to flower . I bought it last year at Home Depot . Maggy your trees will be just as large and beautiful in a couple of years and maybe sooner .Have a great restful night Maggy

Brian

• maggyby
    9 years ago

Hi Brian, I can tell you are happy. That tree is also beautiful. Is that picture after you trimmed it. I have a question about watering in the greenhouse. Do you use warm water in winter? Also do you water deeply or just a bit.? I think I read somewhere that some people water lightly in the winter but can't remember. This is the week I will get my greenhouse cleaned ,order the solar cover and start to get ready for the big freeze. What is the lowest temperature the trees can tolerate outside?
    Have a very relaxing evening.Maggy

• orangelime1
    9 years ago

Hi Maggy it is a picture after I trimmed it . It had a lot of crazy sideway growth and lots of lower growth I couldn't even see the trunk there was that much vegetation . It is so nice to be able to see the trunk . I like to try to shape them when they are younger and it doesn't hurt them at all . Actually for me after a good trim the trees usually flower or put out a flush . I trimmed my lime in half about 3 weeks ago , it would have taken up a quarter of the GH if I hadn't . You should see all the new growth on it now it's crazy , I will take a picture before it goes into the GH. Maggy I water deeply because I only water once every two weeks and I water with Luke warm water . I think the people that water lightly are the people that grow their trees inside their homes . You have yourself a nice night .

Brian

• cory (Zone 7a, NJ)
    9 years ago

Wow! Brian your trees are so beautiful and so big! They are amazing especially growing so far north. You should be proud of them and show them off. I hope mine will look as good some day. I am away at the beach this weekend too. The ocean was wonderful for swimming. Hard to believe you are speaking of the first snow in Calgary already. Saturday was so hot (95°F) and humid here that when my sister invited us to visit we jumped at it. It is a bit cooler today (80s) and not so humid but still an excellent beach day. The ocean water is very warm today like the Caribbean; no need to get used to it before diving in. We did get several thunder storms last night but they were mostly in the distance. I hope the storms were not near my trees. I am still at the beach. Maggy, I sprayed the Physan solution and left it on. It dries clear and will keep the algae at bay for a while. It is probably good you transplanted your trees into the better mix. They wiil do fine. There is still time for them to acclimatize. I wondered if mine got too hot in their black plastic pots this summer and thus did not grow as much as I had expected. Maybe I will paint the pots white next spring unless they will need larger pots by then. I am never quite sure how big a pot I should grow them in also. Usually a little tight is better than too large to help avoid root rot, especially in the winter. Some people in this forum do seem to put their trees in larger pots than mine are in though but they seem too big for the size of my trees root balls. Maybe they live in warmer climates. Mike, hope you had a nice weekend in NH. Hello to Steve and Veggie Girl if you are reading.

Cory

• cory (Zone 7a, NJ)
    9 years ago

Brian, I meant to ask you, what size pots are your large trees in?

Cory

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    9 years ago

Hi all

My weather temps took a nose dive after Friday nights cold front. Real nice temperatures right now. My kumquats are growing well as is one sweetlee tangerine tree. My 2 other sweetlee's and 2 Meyer lemons are between growth spurts. I have done a bend graft between my nagami and poncirus this after noon.

The PT trunk is to the left and the Nagami is to the right leaning to where the trunk died and a branch grew up. I skinned the bark to the cambium to where the 2 trunks meet.

I like those beautiful trees. Brian.

Steve

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Cory,

how did your trees fare? By now I think you might be home? Mine on the roof did ok..I was excited to see they held up, especially the ones on the roof....I think this is the end of the thunderstorms until next year, since fall is setting in already, but its the cold winds that now will be an issue..Mother natures sure has a way of re arranging the furniture..From Hot summer to cooler fall just like that.
    I think next week is even going to be colder..40's at night.
    I will have to get that space heater hooked up for sure.
    My trees would be ok if I leave them out and that is always a debate with me inside myself.

I could either leave them outside even during colder nights and risk the chance of leaf drop and almost non existent growth, or keep them actively growing bringing them in? Every year it's the same ole same ole and too quickly.
    I too leave the Physan as is..It does keep the algae at bay for a while.
    I hope your trees made it ok and thank you for everything.

Maggy,

I hope yours did ok too...Sheesh, I think the more we leave them exposed to keep them in full sun, the more we risk of having them topple over..

As for pot size and watering?

Roots don't have to fill up a pot in order for it to grow on top. Think of trees in the ground. There is no limit to size and yet the roots run free.
    What does limit size or growth is leaving the roots to get tight in pots...having to wait for roots to fill a pot before you see good growth on top is an ole wives tale.
    If they are damaged, or disturbed, then yes in can take time for good top growth.
    Too, the only reason why I would leave roots to grow in in a small confined pot is because I am using a mix that needs to dry out fast or if I want to stunt plant growth for a reason.

Another advantage of growing in very porous mixes is that you can encourage lots of top growth because it allows you to put your trees in much bigger pots for root growth as compared to mixes that stay wet too long any more than an inch or so bigger than the root ball.

Also if you water in sips or just barely in the winter, you always run the risk of soluble salts by winters end damaging your roots along with uneven moisture retention. It's always good to water with lukewarm water until it drains freely from the bottom, even if pots are indoors.

Hope this cleared things up for you a bit))

I am excited you will be getting electricity in there. Finally. Talk about a close call..It's getting cold very fast and it won't catch you of guard.
    I can't wait to see your set up too..
    I think I will take some photos this a.m and share them with everyone here)

Brian...

That tree is amazing!! You do such a wonderful job with growing them in pots up north! I love it. I am proud of you and your dedication...I think that is one of the things we all have in common here. we are dedicated people.
    I feel bad that the drive in is already closed..Boy, was this summer short with Labor Day falling on the first day of September. Sheesh.
    You did a good job trimming that tree. I love it. It's perfect.
    You are right. You'd be surprised how much room one tree takes up in the greenhouse. That is why I can't fit any of mine. I really need to prop it up next year for more room. I wish I had the money to extend mine, but then it would cost a ton more to keep it warm.
    How do you keep those trees growing so GREEN my friend?

Steve, I don't know how you do it? I love your passion for trees and great job. Do those grafts actually take?
    Amazing if so. I have always been scared to do so and I still have no idea about roots stalks..That always confuses me..Does it even matter what root stalk we use if growing in containers?
    I hear you about the weather. It's fall now and when temps start dropping into the 40's at night, it's depressing for me. Looks night next week we will all have a challenge.

Mike

• maggyby
    9 years ago

Good morning,
    Brian, I agree you have great looking trees . So lush and green. We are all proud of you.It would be my dream to grow trees like that. It is hard to believe you are taking the trees inside all ready. Do you gradually decrease the amount of light they receive before taking them inside? Or do you just move them from sun to the greenhouse? I am a bit unsure how to do that.
    Cory, thanks for answering my questions . It sounds like you had a great time at the beach. Swimming in the ocean is the best,especially when it is warm. I am so glad you had a nice visit and got to relax. You still have some time before you bring in your trees. But sounds like you are ready. I seem to be the only one unprepared.
    Steve, I know nothing about grafting but it looks interesting. Have you had any successes with any of your grafts.? I imagine it is exciting when you are successful. Good for you for trying.
    Mike,dear Mike. You are ever so knowledgable. Thank you for clarifying the pot size and watering. Sometime I read a lot and get confused but I am so glad you were able to explain it to me. Makes perfect sense . I am glad now that I decided to put them in the porous mix for the winter. ( except one) It seems the electrician can't come until the end of Sept. Hope I will be ok. Until then. Do you introduce the trees to gradual less light before putting then inside? I have asked Brian as well. I am concerned about leaf drop.
    I will take pictures once I get the electrical done. This has turned out to be an expensive venture . It is supposed to be 40 degrees on the week - end. Should I put the trees inside on that night or can they tolerate a night or two at that temperature.? Sorry I have so many questions. I am glad you trees did not get damaged. It is true we are all dedicated to growing the citrus in less than ideal conditions.
    Just one more question to Anyone who wants to answer. Will just an ordinary fan be ok. And do I run it all the time? Whoops, one more. Do you spray the trees in the greenhouse with water ? Thanks
    Have a great day Maggy

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    9 years ago

Maggy I have about 30 failures in citrus grafting. If this graft takes I will be 1 - 30. I have success with apples pears and cherries. I lost some roots on one of my cherry trees when I put in some steps. I cut a twig off the same tree and grafted it to the piece of root. It grew well My citrus are all out side now. From the end of August to my first frost date my trees loose about 15 minutes a day of sunlight. They are adapted to low light and I have to do nothing to prepare.

Steve

• cory (Zone 7a, NJ)
    9 years ago

Hi all, I have lost my messages twice so I am giving up for now. Trying this last time to say hi and that I am still at the beach.

Cory

• maggyby
    9 years ago

Hi Steve,Well you certainly get an A for not giving up . I hope this citrus is a successful graft.. I didn't realize apples pears and cherries can be grafted.
    Thanks for the info about bringing the trees in. It is true from now on they gradually get less light daily.
    Cory, hope you are having a great time at the beach. Will you be able to rebuild your beach house? Would be nice if you could. Have a great day.Maggy

• orangelime1
    9 years ago

Ok Cory you have made us all jealous , at the beach with the salt water wind blowing in your face and your feet digging into that nice powdered white sand oh man . I love the smell of the ocean miss it haven't seen one for at least 15 yrs now . Enjoy your break buddy you deserve it . Cory is someone taking care of your plants ? Mikey what's up, how was your trip? We're you able to drive with the top down . Mike your lucky you did not get the storm we had , your plants would have been in your pond it was really bad . Your right on the cool nights coming Wednesday I am going to have to dig out the heater . It seems summer ends like someone turning off a switch . Good news though lots of movies and popcorn . I love winter more time to relax . Maggy a beautiful day here wall to wall sunshine . Maggy the plants will be in the GH on Wednesday I don't acclimatize them just no time . They don't seem to mind and they don't really start to loose leaves until the middle of December and they don't loose alot . You will see Maggy on sunny days in the winter it's like July in the GH and by March of even February they start to grow and flower again . You should see my GH when the trees are in its like the most crowded elevator you have ever been in . Steve I Love it your not afraid to try anything that's the way it's supposed to be fun . I think next year I am going to give it a whirl . Next year I would like to try to make a fruit cocktail tree I hope you can talk me through it when the time comes . Thankyou everyone for the nice compliments it is so nice to be able to show off all our hard work and we certainly are all dedicated . I find it so rewarding to be able to grow things that really don't belong in my neighborhood and I also find everyone's knowledge and friendship very rewarding , it's a win win .

Brian

• maggyby
    9 years ago

Hi Brian, yes Cory is making us all jealous.I love the ocean I miss it as well
    Winter is certainly a time to relax. We had a nice sunny day. My repotted trees are a bit stressed especially the moro. It was so healthy,I hope I haven't set it back by repotting. Do you think the Satsuma in the large pot and sandy soil will be ok. For the winter.?
    Do you use a fan all winter? And do you water spray the trees when they are in the green house?
    I am still learning Brian as I have not yet experienced overwintering my trees.
    Should I continue to feed them until they go inside?
    Glad to hear that you didn't have to worry too much about acclimatizing . Steve had a good point that they are receiving less light each day at this time of year.
    I am wondering how you keep the roots warm when it is very cold. Did you insulate your floor?
    Pop corn and movies . Now that sounds like fun.
    You really do deserve praise for your beautiful trees . The knowledge and friendship here is indeed very special.
    Have a great evening. Maggy

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Steve, it was me that asked about the grafting and if they make it?

Maggy..Hello))
    Listen, I don't even have to acclimate mine by the time they come in, they have already lost hours of sunlight, especially if hidden by trees. But, if you have them in FULL all day sun, you have to introduce them to shade or part sun no matter what for a good two weeks before hand.
    Aw the blessings of a greenhouse..Brian probably doesn' t have to acclimate his at all. You don't have too if that is what you are up to)

Bringing them inside them into a home is a whole different game.

Don't forget, they are also sensitive to temp change too.
    If you plan on brining them into an uheated room, that is about the same temps, no worries..

But if you bring them in after spending days in the cold, bringing them in to a warm heated room will cause massive leaf drop almost always..So in this instance, it would be advisable to bring them in sooner than later into a sunny window..It's all a balancing act.

Simply put, if into a heated home, start acclimating them now.
    Into a greenhouse, no worries at all.
    If into an unheated room, start in a couple of weeks.

What I do, is keep them warm at night by bringing them into a porch when lows fall below 50 so this way I have no problem bringing them in for good later in the season.
    It is when temps stay too cold during the day when they finally come in for good.

There are a few options, just pick what's easier for you))

Yes, I water the whole trees, leaves and all in the winter. It raises the humidity and keeps them pest free, that is if you are using a fan 24 hours a day as I do.
    Yes, as long as the fan swivels back and forth, it will be best to leave it on at all times)
    I water during the morning to keep the humidity up during the whole day while the fan dries the leaves off.

By the way, spider mites and most bugs HATE being wet and having a breeze on them at the same time...This is why I spray down my trees as much as I can as long as I have a fan running to ward off disease...

Hope this helps you))

I have a question for you????
    How will you water your plants in the greenhouse if your hose is frozen? Just a trick question)

Cory, that must be frustrating...It could be your computer..I have yet to experience that, thank God..
    Have a sweet night and I have a pic coming for you soon)

Mike)

This post was edited by meyermike_1micha on Mon, Sep 8, 14 at 17:04

• cory (Zone 7a, NJ)
    9 years ago

Well, no swimming today. It is windy and cloudy but the patio by the house is protected and we are sitting out enjoying the air. It was 95°F yesterday but only 70°F today. I am a bit worried about my trees. I hope they are not all blowing around in the yard. I will have to change my plan about the bubblewrap and go with the pool cover instead I think. If the night temperature falls as low as predicted by the end of this week I will have to scurry around bringing in the warm growing orchids tomorrow morning although it is supposed to be very windy. Once they are in it will be too hard to put up the bubblewrap. I was looking for Mike's post with his pool cover invoice recommendation but it must be in "Bugs 2". I forget now what I was trying to post earlier today but I kept getting an error message when I tried to send, and my messages were gone. Very frustrating. I hope it doesn't happen again. Opps! We are going out to eat...got to go. Then heading back home.

Cory

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hey Brian...How are you? You must of been posting at the same time as me.lol

I had a feeling that you didn't worry about acclimating..When you think of how much less sun we have by the time its time to bring them in, and then into a greenhouse of all places, why worry, right?

I love what you did to that tree1 I am so proud of you..How do you keep your trees so green buddy? Amazing! You must feed them well too..
    You are the perfect example of someone who knows what to feed them, how often, and how to treat them They love you like my frogs love me..At least something does.lol
    Welcome back...)
    I am grateful my storms were not as bad as yours..Sheesh..Maybe next time we should all take pics of teh clouds so we can show off who's got the worst storm and damage..
    My trees did not get knocked over the roof but boy did lightning take down trees..
    Have a wonderful night my very good friend.

Mike

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Cory, I knew that the weather was going to do this way back a few weeks ago..I've been telling everyone not to be surprised if we see snow before the nd of the month for the first time ever...It just crazy. That is why my house and holding areas are ready to do..I started treating my plants for bugs days ago...FE is the way to go now just about every week until they are in for good..

You see, the longer we leave our plants out as the beneficial pests die off, our trees are open invitations to the carppy bugs and get carried in on our trees..So I stay ahead of the game.
    One must spray every week when the beneficial bugs are gone.

I can't believe you can't even swim today that far south of me...I can't believe it's only 70 there too.
    The sky is full of high grey clouds and the temps is in the 60's..It's gloomy and I am already feeling depressed((( Bla, bla, bla..
    There goes my figs...They were starting to ripen for the first time, and now the cold will spoil that.
    There goes my moon flowers I tried growing for the first time..The summer was too cold to push them on, and now that they finally have buds, they will die off because of colder nights..Bla.lol

Hope you have a safe and warn eveneing and eat something very tasty for me..

Mike

• orangelime1
    9 years ago

Hey Mike that would be cool buddy we should take pictures of storms but only the bad ones the only problem I am always hiding in the basement speaking of the storm on Friday I could not believe how loud I could hear the wind in the basement never happened before . Mike I think hear everybody loves meteorology I guess we have to when taking care of cold sensitive plants . Mike I like to watch the 5 week long range forecast its a real big help with when to bring the plants out or when to bring in . Right now I am feeling very uncomfortable about Saturday night I think here were in for our first frost . Anyways I don't think there is that much advantage leaving the trees outside to October , I did one time and the leaves ended up with a fungus from the cool nights and the heavy dews . Mike it is so nice talking to you buddy . It's not true your frogs are the only ones that love you . Everyone on the forum including myself loves you buddy . Maggy everything Mike says about bringing your trees in . Here I can't acclimatize even if I wanted to there is no shade in the backyard . The seasons anyways does it for you right now we are loosing 3 minutes of daylight everyday . Maggy I sometimes wash the trees in the GH only if it is a sunny day . Maggy I think a fan is very important it really helps to prevent disease and it mixes up the air in there because the warm air is at the top of your GH and the cool air is running along the floor the fan just helps to pull the warm air down and all around instead of just being at the top . I hope that makes sense .A fan is very cheap to run as it hardly takes any power . Maggy your doing everything right so far your amazing were proud of you we will help you get through this . I know it seems overwhelming the first year but like I have said in the past if I can do this anyone can . Maggy have you been to Costco yet to check out the heaters? Well Maggy have a wonderful night .

Brian

• maggyby
    9 years ago

Brian, thank you so much for the encouragement and support. It is a bit overwhelming but then I am not one to give up if things are uncomfortable. All the more reason to keep trying.
    I understand the concept of the fan and I have a three speed which osculates and will likely work.
    Have not made it to Costco yet . Have been too busy. I think I will order it online in the morning.
    It is true we are losing light each day.. Imagine if we take pictures off major storms. I watch the long term forecast as well. We are going to have several days starting Sun.with low's to 40. I don't like that.
    Yes Mike we all love you.
    Cory hope you enjoyed dinner.

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Aww.. i know that as I do you guys,..

As for the fan, just make sure you stick it right next to the door you open facing the whole greenhouse...It will stay dry as you water all the plants in front of it and move all the air from the opening right to the back of it)

Maybe I will take pics of my set up to help you see it better.
    yes, as Brian says, we are very proud of you.
    Yes the first year getting set up can be over whelming, but well worth it our friend.)

By the way, up above a couple of posts up at 16:53, I also explained about temps too)

Brian, you are such a fantastic guy...Thank you for all you do here)))))) Listen, I hear you on watching the long range forcast. lol..I'm the same way!

Good night my good friends.

MIke

• cory (Zone 7a, NJ)
    9 years ago

Hi everyone. I watch the long range forecasts too. I just didn't want to believe it last spring and kept trying to put the plants out every time there was a few days of warmer weather. I kept thinking they must be going to revise the forecast as it was forecasting cold for so long. But it kept getting really cold again, as forecast, and for a long time this year. I have 4 tower fans in my greenhouse to help mix up the air plus the exhaust fan in the peak. None of my fans last very long because of the high humidity, even the exhaust fan gets changed out pretty regularly and it looks like I may have to replace it again next spring as the plastic shutters are cracking again and the fan's protective covering is rusting. Even the furnace thermostats rust and they have plastic covers with gaskets surrounding them. I wish hobby size greenhouse equipment was made a little more durable. Everything rusts out and I can't keep the digital thermometers working long either even when I cover them with a plastic bag. I wish I could find more durable greenhouse equipment. I haven't put lights inside for several years as they rust quickly too and seem dangerous although it would be nice to have light during emergency repairs and also to provide more hours of light during those periods of really dreary weather and short days. The citrus trees don't require the high humidity that many of my other plants need so maybe you don't have the same problems. Now I have to start looking for the solar pool cover. My heating bills have risen substantially so i am looking for solutions to make the greenhouse more efficient. I hope I can keep the cover on. I'll let you know my solution if it works out well.

Cory

• maggyby
    9 years ago

Hi Cory, I am also a weather watcher. I watch the long term forecast as well. We find the Detroit weather to be the most accurate as we are only 10-15 min from downtown Detroit . It seems the temperature is going to a low of 40 starting Sun and will last a few days.don't know if my trees will be o.k. Or will I have to move them inside?
    Cory getting a solar cover is a good idea. I am ordering mine today. I think it will protect the trees and save on heating costs. Also ordering the heater today as well. I am still waiting for the electrician to tell me when he can come. He said maybe not until the end of Sept.
    Here is the info Mike posted re his solar cover. I hope he does not mind me reposting it for you. They gave a Canadian site as well and I will order from there.
    SolarCovers.com

Order Confirmation
    michael rivera,
    Thank you for ordering through www.SolarCovers.com. We appreciate your business. Should you have any questions, please feel free to contact our Customer Service department at 1.800.828.7838.
    Your Order and Billing Information
    If you used a credit card to make your purchase, the charge for your www.SolarCovers.com order will appear on your credit card statement as R & P Pools Inc.
    Order Number: SC11333296
    Order Date: Sat Nov 26 14:08:44 2011
    Shipping Address
    43 corbett street
    lowell, MA 01852
    Product # Product Name Quantity Price
    469003 Crystal Clear Solar Cover 16 ft. x 24 ft. Rectangular 12 Mil 1 84.99
    Sub Total: 84.99
    Shipping: 0.00
    Tax: 0.00
    Grand Total: 84.99

Mike
    I was checking my trees this morning and I found this on my tango leaves. I believe it is leaf miner. Hope someone can advise me. I removed the few affected leaves . Will neem oil be effective? Not sure how to get rid of it bad don't want all my trees to be affected.
    Hope you are all enjoying the sunshine as we are. Rain is coming tomorrow. Have a great day. Maggy

• cory (Zone 7a, NJ)
    9 years ago

Maggy, thanks for reposting the info. I finally found it last night too. Then my sister told me to get the diamonds type as it provides more insulation but that looks like it doesn't last as well. I see it also comes in 16 mil but then read peoples experiences with it and it seems maybe heavier in weight than I can handle by myself. It took 4 people to put it on and a hand truck to move it around when it is wrapped up. Now I have to rethink this as I don't think I could handle that by myself. I put my shade cloth up myself easily but it its light weight. The person writing sounded like I could not just drag it over the top like I do the with the shadecloth. They had to have 4 people lift it up and then drop it down. Maybe I can handle a 12 mil one by myself?

Sorry I don't know what your leaf problem is. Maybe just the storm damage when it was just repotted. Maybe you should post it in its own post so other people see it. I guess i would think it was from the cooler damp night weather. I'll have to take a better look at mine but i am in a rush getting everything ready for tonights orchid society meeting and have to go to the grocery store as we are pretty much out of everything. The meeting is 1-1/2 to 2 hours away from me so just getting there and back uses up much of my day and loading all the stuff needed for it takes the rest of the day. I will check back later tonight to find out what you decided to do. I asked Mike to forward the newsletter to you with the growing info as I do not know your email address and thought he may have it.

Cory

• orangelime1
    9 years ago

Hi Maggy it kind of looks like leaf miner . It also kind of looks like snail trail . Do you have slugs with digestive problems ? Maggy I took this picture this morning when that big full moon was out . I wish the picture did the tree justice , I wish you could have seen it the way I did this morning . Darn i have to get a new camera .This tree really brought me back to Florida this morning . Are those the only leaves ?

Brian

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    9 years ago

looks real good.

Steve

• maggyby
    9 years ago

Brian, that is a beautiful tree. I can imagine how it looked to you with the moon out. Breath taking I am sure.
    I think I took off all the leaves that were affected. I think I will post a picture separately to see if some one can identify it.
    I am making roasted tomato sauce now. The house smells yummy with the tomato's red pepper, onions and garlic roasting.
    Yahoo! My Kishu is starting to grow. I see lots of growth everywhere . Last week- end I threw in a handful of miracle grow when I watered it just because I was so annoyed with it. . I am giving it Foliage pro every week. Once it grows enough to see I will post a picture.
    Here is my variegated lemon that didn't grow until now. It is a beautiful tree.
    Are you working today Brian?
    Hope you are having a fantastic day. Maggy

• maggyby
    9 years ago

Hi Cory, sounds like you have a busy day. I believe Mike said he puts the solar cover on by himself. Of course you do have a bigger greenhouse. I am hoping I can get mine on as well. I am going to use bungee cords as suggested to secure it. I am getting the 12 mil.
    That is a long drive to the Orchid Society. The one here is at the end of my street at the College .I am going to go and check it out later this month. I am looking forward to getting the newsletter from Mike. Cory you can email me from this site as my email is not private .
    Looking forward to hearing from you later tonight. Have a great day. Maggy

• orangelime1
    9 years ago

Hi Maggy your variegated lemon is stunning love it . I have never seen leaf miner on any citrus up here but anything is possible . I love miracle grow it's fantastic with my trees . Back to work I go . Have a nice afternoon .

Brian

• maggyby
    9 years ago

Hi Brian, I love my little HD variegated Meyer . It wasn't in the best shape but I babied it. It suddenly started to grow. I am surprised to see leaf miner here as well. I wonder if there are any others in Ont. Who have had it. Take care my friend. Maggy

• orangelime1
    9 years ago

Maggy did you buy it from HD . I have never seen leaf miner in any nursery I have been to . So much for them being inspected . My better half is picking up rib steaks tonight and I am off tomorrow ya hoo but lots of work . Maggy I can smell your homemade sauce from here yummy. I love garlic I use it in alot of recipes . I see they are calling for really bad storms in your area tonight and tomorrow lovely . I find it strange that we are getting these intense storms so late in the season . Maggy what a beautiful morning the moon was huge and the sun wasn't up yet but the sky was very orange it looked really beautiful on my trees . The only thing I was missing this morning were the pelicans it really felt like I was in Florida . Well Maggy enjoy your supper talk to you later .

Hi Cory and Mike

Brian

• maggyby
    9 years ago

Hi Brian, I am shocked that I have leaf miner here. I bought the tree from HD in Hamilton. It was a surprise find. I need Spinosad to treat is but I can't find it in Canada,although it is legal here no one seems to sell it .
    Rib steaks sounds delicious . We are having BBQ hot dogs. It is easiest when I am all day making sauce. Brian the sauce is so yummy. Would you like me to send you a jar? I will be sending one to Mike. You can email me from the garden web with your address to maggyemma@hotmail.com .
    I am going to make another batch tomorrow. It takes all day because I roast everything in the oven take off skins ,seeds ,put in food processor and then make the sauce. But worth the time. It is my favourite.
    Yes we are getting bad storms. It is late in the season for them but the weather is weird.
    I wish I could have seen your tree with the full moon. Must have been stunning.

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Maggy, my goodness...You are making my mouth watery and my eyes envious of your little variegated tree....
    Brian too...I must say every time I see all of your trees, I burn with jealousy..lol
    You guys are the most awesome at growing the way you do and I am very proud of you all!

Maggy,

how in the world do you find the time to make sauce like that? Yum..I seriously can almost taste it. I have never had bottled home made sauce, ever. Just the crappy acidic kind from teh store which I can't have because it's too much for me.Maggy, I'll bet you that is old damage from where it came from originally..I found that kind of damage on mines, even after a few months of owning them and have never had a problem since..
    Even if you did, I can bet you that those bugs will not survive our envrionment!
    Your tree is beautiful..New growth? Yahoo.
    Listen, becareful with those storms..It's hard to believe in this coolish weather you still even get them. Never here. It's too late now that the heat is gone.
    Maggy, your cover will be a challenge to put on, but much doable..I have a laugh at myself when I put mine back on every time.

I also sent you that news letter that Cory sent. Sorry for the delay, but it should be in your box)

Mike0))

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Brian, you painted such a nice picture in my mind. I can only imagine the beauty you saw this morning..Don't you wish that your closest citrus buddies could share that moment with you? I always do. I wish you guys could see how my trees glissen like green emeralds after a rainy moment when the sun peaks out..It's awe inspiring and yet depressing that there is no other citrus enthisiast around me at home.

I wish I had friends that enjoyed the simple little moments I enjoy when I look at the green of the plants against the clairity of the reflections on my pond with frogs sitting there so contently...They are moments that make you smile and yet no one to share with.
    I guess that is why we take hpotos and try to make our friends here see and feel what we do.
    Thank god we have each other)

Can you smell Maggy's sauce right now, I sure can!
    That combined with the fragrance of my cirus trees is just over whelming.
    I LOVE LOVE LOVE what your tree looks like.
    I have a question for you?

How long have you been putting handfuls of fertiizer on your soil and how often do you do it? Do you worry about salt deposits over time?
    For now, it seems to be working, but I am curious about what comes over time? Please let me know. If you have been doing this for quite some time without issues....

Garlic? I am with you on that. I sautee garlic and keep it for just about everything except my cereal..Lol I even grate garlic right into my salads...Love it.

Brian, enjoy your day off tomorrow and don't work too hard))0) Take a lesson from my frogs, well at least most lessons...

Mike

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Cory....I feel really bad for you..I hope you can get a cover light enough for you that will do the job. I suppose anything is better than bubble wrap for having nothing at all, right? If I lived closer, I would help you put it on)

Are you back from the beach yet? How did it go? Did you have a great time? It's is a lot better to be there when it's hot..Boy did the hot weather get thrown out the window...It's only 7:18 and it's already dark! seemed like yesterday when it was summer and getting dark at 8..

This sucks...Time going by so fast...I just found out a friend of mines son die yesterday...He was in his 20's..It's sad(((

By the way, that newsletter is forwarded ro Maggy..I did it earlier for her..I hope it worked...
    Very good info in there. And by the way, that orchid you sent me is doing great in the bark thus far..Thank you again for your kindness!

Ok, I have to run, but I will be back soon. Have a wonderful night and rest tight.

I'll be watching America's Got Talent tonight with a huge bowl of whipped cream mixed with chocolate in yougart and nuts.Yum