Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Please help, Meyer Lemon Tree Disease??

Posted by jgilman08 Ohio (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 17, 13 at 20:54

Hi Everyone,

To start, I am not an experienced gardner and lack having a green thumb as they say. so any advise is appreciated.

10 days ago I purchase a Meyer Lemon Tree. It is quite large, I was told that it is 52 years old. The last 5 days or so I've been concerned that it might have some type of disease.

I have noticed:

1.)The leaves have a chalky substance on them, similar to a residue after water drops dried.

2) On few of the lemons that are mostly green have spots of a cream color along with veins of dried out peel.

3) On the one lemon that has turned yellow, there are dark indented spots on it and 1 with a sap like substance coming out.

Did my garden center sell me a disease tree?? Or am I just paranoid from my fear of killing it from lack of experience. We paid 250.00 for it and I don't want it to die.
I appreciate any help that anyone can provide.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Please help, Meyer Lemon Tree Disease??

additional image

o

The first one is not a problem, It was rubbing on a wall or something?
The second has holes from the thorns as apparent in the picture, or maybe a worm, but mostly the thorns.

o

Both "problems" are mechanical or physical damage. I don't know what caused the punctures to the yellow fruit; but those punctures are the reason it has turned yellow. If you stab your fruit with a needle, it will turn yellow even before the fruit is fully mature; I have done that in experiments to try to encourage early coloring... it does promote coloring; but not ripening; and it does leave scars.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here