Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Normal Growth?

Posted by jlmart26 none (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 14, 12 at 21:09

I just wanted to know if this seems to be kind of growth to expect from a valencia orange transplanted from pot 7 months ago.

Valencia Orange

3 months after transplanting from pot

Photobucket

@ 7 months after transplanting

Photobucket

Also is it too early for this tree to start putting out blooms or is that due to over watering. I have been watering 2 times a week since we been having 100+ degree weather here in south texas

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Normal Growth?

Well, your tree shows significant mineral deficiency, most notably iron; but there are likely others keeping the tree from growing as it should. The magic clue is you said South Texas; that likely means your soil has a pH of 8 or higher and at that high pH citrus cannot absorb the minerals it needs from the soil. In addition to maybe a little more balanced citrus fertilizer (it should be fed 3 times per year) find some chelated minerals, especially iron and apply as recommended to the soil. Chelated minerals are a little pricey; but it is the only type your tree can utilize at high soil pH. On top of that I would get some good quality foliar fertilizer with micro nutrients and appy that every 15 days. You should see a notable increase in growth and improved color (darker green) leaves.

o
RE: Normal Growth?

• Posted by mksmth oklahoma 7a (My Page) on
    Wed, Aug 15, 12 at 8:37

mulch, mulch and more mulch. I would add a good 3 or 4 inches thick and if you can find pine that might help a bit with the high PH. Just keep it an inch or two away from the trunk.

In picture 2 it appears you may have a root stock sucker growing. Any thing below the graft needs to cut off.

You soil does look very heavy so I would be very careful of over watering. Mulching will help retain what you give it and eventually it will break down and help loosen the soil.

Mike

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here