Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anyone have any idea what on earth these are???

Posted by nika107 10 (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 20, 13 at 21:29

My little manderine tree is making quite a comeback, but today I found several leaves with these little grayish/black things all over. I've given the tree a cursory look but haven't seen any possible culprits.

There are more leaves covered in these little dots but this leaf seems to be the most heavily "decorated"...

There are several larger black things that look like sesame seeds along with lots of little dark grey dots.

photo IMG_1399_zps1b66e4a6.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anyone have any idea what on earth these are???

Black citrus aphids it looks like. Soapy water should do them in.

o

Thanks! What about neem oil?

o

Neem oil should work fine

o

Aphids can pretty easily be washed away with a strong spray of water. Neem oil would be much lower on the list of things that I would reach for, especially at this time of year. Way overkill and potentially damaging.

o

I agree with Rhizo. It's awfully warm to be using a hort oil, and a hard blast of water will knock them off (plus, break off their probiscus if they're feeding, thus killing them as they will starve to death). And, and hangers on can easily be dispatched with a washing down with insecticidal soap. Make sure you also get rid of any ants that may be hanging around, and trying to farm the aphids.

Patty S.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here