Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stephen90_gw

Help me pick a new tree! Also, Kumquat question!

stephen90
12 years ago

A friend has offered to buy me any one-year-old Fourwinds citrus (or any citrus of equal or lower cost) that I want. They want me to pick a tree... unfortunately, I'm not sure what to ask for as I already have quite a few, so I thought I'd ask you guys for some advice. Any tree I get would live its life in a pot.

My favorite tree is my Meiwa Kumquat, so...

Is Changshou/Fukushu good for eating fresh? I've tasted Meiwa and Nagami, but never Fukushu. I know Mr.Texas uses them for marmalade, but I haven't heard anyone say how they taste right off the tree. I think Nagami are often just slightly too sour and I love everything about my meiwa, for what it's worth.

The trees I'm considering are, roughly in order from most interest to least...

--Fukushu Kumquat (I love kumquats and they make great container plants)

--Oroblanco (I love pummelos, and this variety seems to do well in pots)

--Chandler Pummelo (I love pummelo and this is a "real" one, unlike Oroblanco. I'd like one of each citrus "type" eventually.)

--Keiffer Lime (interesting conversation piece, I love limes and papeadas, it reportedly smells nice... but I'd prefer to grow one from seed if I can ever find a fruit)

I'm looking for a plant that does well in containers and will give me some sort of sweet or interesting fruit without a great deal of fuss. "Interesting" is probably as much to me as "delicious". I also don't want to grow anything I can easily get in a supermarket, even though all of my older trees fit this category. I grow enough "difficult" plants as it is, so I'm more likely to go for an easier plant (by citrus standards) like a Kumquat than a very demanding one like a miracle fruit.

so... any suggestions? Any other interesting varieties I should consider? I know this isn't a huge deal and I CAN pick one without the help of the internet, but I thought it might make for an interesting discussion here. :)

Here's what I already have, for those interested:

Meyer Lemon (always causing trouble)

Meiwa Kumquat (never causes trouble)

Washington Navel (my first citrus)

Thornless Key Lime (the name is a lie)

Key Lime (grown from seed)

2 Tango Mandarins (rescued)

Clementine De Nules (rescued)

Seedling Nagami (gift)

A cutting from what I THINK is a Calamondin. No one knows. (family heirloom)

Comments (11)

• mrtexas
    12 years ago

Changshou kumquat tastes good on it's own. It is sweet but has more sour juice than meiwa. It is up to 10x the size of a meiwa. You can munch on the thick skin and throw away the sour insides. If you like sour kumquats the nordman seedless nagami is a good choice. The meiwa x nagami seedless kumquat I don't recommend. It is very late and I've seen them green still in April.

Here is a link that might be useful: mrtexas

• mrtexas
    12 years ago

Keiffer lime is good only for the leaves and zest. IMHO the juice is horrible what little there is among the seeds.

• stephen90
    Original Author
    12 years ago

So Changshou is sweeter than Nagami? Hmmm... I might have to pick that one and try your marmalade recipe. :)

I've decided I won't ask for a Keiffer Lime. I'll likely grow one from seed if I can ever find a fruit or a donor. I'm interested in the plant from a scientific, cultural, and collector's standpoint, but I'm reluctant to spend that much money (or let anyone else do so) purchasing a plant that I know won't be of much practical use as I don't cook Thai food.

Has anyone here grown a Pumello in a pot?

• Karly30
    12 years ago

What about a finger lime?

• johnmerr
    12 years ago

How about a Pixie tangerine? I would stay away from Pomelos in pots and in general Pomelos are not well suited to dwarf rootstock. I have 3 Chandlers and 3 Oro Verde (aka Sweetie); but they are on Macrophylla and in the ground. Four Winds are great trees for pots; the rootstock they use is excellent. As for your Meyer, I have 7,000 in the ground here in Guatemala; but I have never had good success with them in pots... they need constant attention and too-often re-potting to avoid toxicity issues and adequate water without drainage problems.
    Good luck.

• stephen90
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I love Pixie tangerines, but I thought that they would be a poor container plant because they take several years (8 or 9) of consistent in-ground environmental conditions before they produce good fruit. I heard this from a Pixie grower, but I'd be more than happy to be wrong.

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    12 years ago

Meiwas are the sweetest kumquats I've ever had, and really the only ones I like to eat fresh out of hand. I love Pummelos, too, but they are BIG trees, not as suited to container life as some of the other citrus options out there. I would suggest you consider a Variegated Pink Eureka (Pink Lemonade) lemon or, if you're wanting that delicious pummelo flavor, either a Melogold grapefruit (which I like better than Oro Blanco a bit) or the wonderful Cocktail grapefruit (not really a grapefruit, but a cross between a pummelo and a mandarin and is to die for). All should do well in containers, especially on Flying Dragon and the Pink Lemonade Eureka lemon has really attractive foliage as well. Probably leaning towards the Cocktail, since you don't have anything from the pummelo/grapefruit family, yet. So that might give you another citrus option.

Patty S.

• stephen90
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I hadn't thought about Melogold or Cocktail... as long as they don't have the typical Grapefruit aftertaste they could make a very good choice. A few questions, though: why can't Pummelos be trimmed to keep them a manageable size? Aren't Grapefruit large trees as well?

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    12 years ago

Well, you can, but remember when you prune citrus, you prune away the fruiting part of the branch. Citrus produce flowers at branch tips. So, pruning them then prunes away most of your crop :-) I would pose this question to the Four Winds folks. They do so much with container-grown citrus and would be able to give you the skinny on trying to grow a pummelo in a container successfully (meaning you get fruit). I can tell you that in the ground, pummelos get very large. Large fruit, large leaves, large tree. The Cocktail is super sweet, but has a nice grapefruit taste. The Melogold is is a little less sweet, more "grapefruity", but still very, very sweet. I love the taste of grapefruit, but HATE that bitter aftertaste. I can't eat a grapefruit without putting either Splenda or brown sugar on it. I can eat both the Melogold and especially the Cocktail without any added sweetener. Love them. And for me, you get much more fruit and way less rind with these, than you're going to get with a pummelo.

Patty S.

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    11 years ago

stephen90

How is that seed grown Nagami you have as a gift. Is it doing well. I currently have a 55 week old Meiwa from seed and am wondering if any one has had any success with kumquats from seed.
    steve

• GKGK
    11 years ago

I love the Fukushu and have several of them. Beautiful foliage / tree. My Meiwa has struggled and not been productive, but to be fair, its in a very cold area of the yard. The Meiwa is very slow growing and small.

Fukushu gets my potted kumquat vote.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!