Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
keithdphan

HVAC condensation water safe?

keithdphan
11 years ago

Since it doesn't rain much during the summer months here is socal, I've set up my rainbarrel to collect condensation dripping off of the A/C system. 55 gallons collected in a matter of 1 week use of the A/C. I was surprised at how fast it filled up. I want to know if it's safe to use the water to on my potted plants, included citrus of course. I've search the interwebs for answers but it the answer I found is unclear. some say use it no problems, other say it will kill you and the plant if you water with it. what do you guys think?

Comments (12)

• houstontexas123
    11 years ago

its usually just the humidity from the air around your a/c evap. it should be like 99% water, and 1% dust/dirt.

here in the Houston area, its pretty humid and i get about one 5gal bucket every two days or so.

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    11 years ago

last summer i was collecting up to 10 gallons per day and using it on everything with no problems. Like houston said its just water. There could be some trace metals from the coils but not enough to be a concern.

Mike

• keithdphan
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Just tested th pH of the water with my trusty pH pen, it came out to be a little acidic pH6.7. My tap water here in Los Angeles is alkaline pH 8.0. In terms of pH its definitely better than water supply from the city.

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    11 years ago

Awesome. Since its pretty much pure water it shouldn't be higher than 7 anyways. Just wait one day cities and states will say the condensate is theirs like Colorado and others have said about rain collecting.

Mike

• LizzaNVA
    11 years ago

Funny post! My HVAC is leaking condensation. It's old and is probably on it's last legs but is unfortunately not my top financial priority so I've been catching all the drips that would drop on my neighbors below in my high rise. It's been a great source of water for my plants! I did the same research and found it was no different from rain water unless your HVAC unit wasn't clean. Then you probably wouldn't want to drink it but it would be filtered when watered on a plant. Mine probably isn't all that clean given the age of the HVAC. I'm actually really surprised that others haven't tapped into this water source. When I say others, I mean those not on this forum. It's given me WAY more water than I need for my reasonable container garden. Seems to me it's better than a rain barrel especially in the Mid West this year.

• olympia_gardener
    11 years ago

Keith, I use condensation water from my AC and dehumidifier in summer time. Amazing how much water I can collect in a hot day, about 5gl bucket a day. enough for my orchids and other container plants. It is pure water, better than tap water and rain water. I don't have to worry about ph level goes up. I can save money on water bill and less waste of our precious nature resource . I am glad you all are doing this.

• aceprohvac
    11 years ago

Has anyone let thier dog drink A/C Condensation water? Would it be safe? My house has two a/c units and puts out alot of condensate water. I thought this might be a good way to conserve water. I can run PVC from where the drain lines exit the house and let them drip in the water bowl. I won't do it if not safe..........just a thought. Has anyone tried it?

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.aceprohvac.com

• Doglips
    11 years ago

Lizza,
    Without turning this into a HVAC forum, your AC system doesn't leak condensation, it is a sign of a well functioning system, it is removing humdity from your home.

Ace,
    I wouldn't give condensation water to any animal, take a taste yourself, I'm guessing it won't be very palatable. For plants it is probably fine.

• Fascist_Nation
    11 years ago

Heck yes, it is distilled water like rain. The very best. Be sure to keep an eye on the containers you water with it as when the AC is running a lot the containers are drying out fast. :-(

• sarahkitty11
    7 years ago

This is a bad bad bad idea. If you want proof get your water tested for lead.

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

It is distilled water, but like Mike said, there could be trace metals from coils and also mildew and mold in the PVC lines. I would not drink it. This is such an old thread!