Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tcamp30144

citrus seedlings

Just a few of my seedlings do u have any seed grown citrus. This one is a Rio red grapefruit.
Trace

This post was edited by Tcamp30144 on Mon, Sep 15, 14 at 0:05

Comments (19)

• tcamp30144(7B N.ATLANTA)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Some kind of Clementine.
    Trace

Original Author
    9 years ago

Sweet kumquat/lemon hybrid
    Trae

Original Author
    9 years ago

Meiwa kumquat
    Trace

• citrineorange
    9 years ago

Hi Trace,
    Meiwa kumquat on the left and the other one is mandarin orange. Hope they will bloom in three years' time ^_^

• BarbJP 15-16/9B CA Bay Area
    9 years ago

Very nice! I hope they bloom that soon for you too, but I think those kinds take longer. But your's look very healthy and it's sure fun to grow from seed!

The only seedlings I have are two Key limes. I heard they take the shortest time from seed to fruit and I'm impatient, lol! I'm lucky to be in a prime citrus area so many varieties are available to me on grafted root stock, which as you probably know, fruit much sooner.

But I love Key limes and have an idea of making a small hedge of them, so thought I'd give it a shot. I planted several but only two sprouted. Interestingly the ones from the store bought fruit had none sprout, the only ones that sprouted were from home grown fruit. I wonder if the cold storage of commercial fruit affects the seeds somehow, or if it was just coincidence.
    Hope they make it in the ground on their own roots, they're still in containers.

I forgot to treat for CLM in August (d'oh!) so you can see some damage.

Thanks for the pics of your babies!

This post was edited by BarbJP on Thu, Sep 18, 14 at 19:45

Original Author
    9 years ago

Nice trees citrineorange it is fun to watch them grow eather way. Kumquat and satsuma take 3 to 5 years so you see soon most of mine are 6 months to 1 year old.
    Trace

• citrineorange
    9 years ago

Thanks BarbJP. I am a newbie in growing anything green, that's why I chose citrus as they are more resilient. Yes, it's fun watching them grow and if they bloom and bear fruits, that's a bonus. Otherwise, i'll just keep them as houseplants. They smell great by the way. Hope you will have your hedge of key limes soon!

• citrineorange
    9 years ago

Thanks Trace. Your trees look great too. Heard from a fellow forumer that his 3 year old seed grown kumquat tree began to bloom. That was really encouraging. Please keep us posted on your seedlings.

Original Author
    9 years ago

Yep i wish he would post pics of his 3yr old tree.
    Trace

Original Author
    9 years ago

Sorry to hear about your kumquat trees Steve Thank you for the comments this is the older link I thought you saw it sorry you missed it lol. I had to stop growing seedlings from seeds I was getting too many trees lol they where all living a good thing I guess. Steve kumquat trees are really hard to grow you have to stay on top of them or spyder mites or something else will get them. My grapefruit tree and Mandarin seedlings are practically maintenance free compared to the kumquats lol. So I feel your pain{{gwi:807}} lol. By the way your sweet lee look really nice.
    Trace

This post was edited by Tcamp30144 on Sun, Jan 11, 15 at 22:55

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    9 years ago

Thanks Trace.

The kumquat roots grow very well and so does the foliage but at 1/2 the rate as my sweetlee tree. They loose 2/3 of their growth after every growth spurt. It is frustrating. Perhaps the problem is their own roots don't pass up resistance to their leaves. However I got pictures of my rooftop citrus trees. Some survived including 2 PT's, 1 grapefruit tree, 1 Murcott gold, and my MEIWA Tree. There is no green on nagami.

The leaves inside the white ellipse are murcott. It's trunk is not visible.

I bet the spider mites are dead now

Steve

Original Author
    9 years ago

You know my meiwa kumquat is mostly troble free it the nagami has the most problems. I'm glad all is not lost with the kumquat trees.
    Trace

Original Author
    9 years ago

One and a half year old Clementine tree is waking up for spring early I guess.
    Trace

• citrineorange
    9 years ago

Hi Trace,
    Your tree is so nice & green. Some of my seedlings are yellowish. I think the potting mix is getting a bit too acidic for their liking. Time to add lime but I've been busy & keep delaying it.
    2 on the left are kumquats & 3 on the right are mandarins. They are all 1 year old except for the rightmost mandarin is 1.5 year old.

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    9 years ago

Getting yellowish? They probably just need to be fertilized with Nitrogen.

Josh

• citrineorange
    9 years ago

Hi Josh,

I've put up a new post regarding the yellowing problems. Would appreciate your advice. Here's the link:
    http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/citrus/msg0206031628375.html?2925

Thank you
    Sophie

• meyermike_1micha
    9 years ago

Hey Trace, you are really stocking up on your citrus trees! Very nice..I love how nice they look for you, except the yellowing which can be caused by many factors...Unsteady temps, too cold of temps. too warm. pH off kilter, mot enough fertilizer and so on...

Thanks for sharing...

MIke

Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Mike most are very green have very mild yellowing but its gone now. Had to increase fertlizer for winter to keep them happy.Im getting to the point of no more room for trees LOL.
    Thanks All
    Trace