Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lime-like tree?

Posted by eddy183 LA (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 11, 13 at 0:48

My mom planted this possibly from root stock but I'm not sure. It produces numerous fruit 1"-2" in size but sometimes a little larger. Most are very dark green in color but occasionally a few will lighten its color and yellow slightly. There are no spines and the bark is relatively smooth. The tree is about 10ft tall and wide. I cut a fruit in half and it looks like a lime on the inside but the smell is not very strong. I dabbed a bit of the juice on my tongue but it tasted somewhat bland. It doesn't look like any store lime I've ever seen. Is this just one of those hybrids or some sort of lime I don't know about. More pictures to follow.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lime-like tree?

Photos

o

Another Pic

o

Closer look. Perfectly round.

o

Inside of one.

o

Looks very much like an unripe orange to me - including the leaves and petioles.

o

im not a lime expert but i think limes are yellow when fully ripe and are actually picked before ripness... idk why but i think i read that somewhere. also ive always thought limes where lemon shaped but i could be wrong there too because like i said im no lime expert at all.

if i were u i would leave the fruits for longer and see if they change colour further to be sure. maybe taste one a week to see how the taste changes

o

I don't know enough to be identifying, just a passing thought about the thornless key lime...small size, round fruit, little to no thorns, would ripen to yellow if left alone...I agree you should leave one on the tree longer, see if that helps to identify it..

o

I don't think the key lime would ever get that orangish color inside, even if you left it until it got full yellow and fell off the tree.

o

• Posted by pgde Tucson Zone 9 (My Page) on
    Mon, Sep 16, 13 at 9:52

I agree with Johnmerr, key limes do not change to orange inside. However, it might be a Calamansi lime:

Just a wild guess.

Peter

Here is a link that might be useful: About Calamansi Lime

o

Definitely not Calamondin (kalamansi, calamansi, etc); they are about 80% seeds and the rest juice with very little pulp. BTW the Calamondin is not a lime; although it's primary use in the world is as a "lemon". It is also not an orange; although it is sometimes referred to as, and sold as a "Baby orange"; and if you leave it on the tree it eventually gets orange in color.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here