Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
meadowbrite

How far north do you grow Poncirus trifoliata???

meadowbrite
18 years ago

Hello,

Few weeks ago I saw Poncirus trifoliata well established and growing happily in central New Jersey/zone 6. I am in zone 5, but I wonder if anybody has been succesful in growing this cute plant oudoors in zone 6 or colder.

Thanks and happy gardenning,

M.

Comments (26)

• citrange2
    18 years ago

There is a fine specimen growing in Edinburgh, Scotland, which is very much further north, but not as cold.
    Poncirus also grows happily in the botanic gardens in New York and Boston, MA., but I don't know what US zones they are.
    I run a website that includes a listing of notable Poncirus plants, mainly in Europe. Follow the links from the page below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Boston Poncirus trifoliata

• Patty_in_Wisc
    18 years ago

I live in Z5 & grow both poncirus trifliata (orange & lemon) & flying dragon. I am confused as I hear they are 2 differnt plant species but people refer to them as the same. I bought a a PT lemon & grew 2 PT orange from seed & they look the same. I also grow a flying dragon from seed & it is diff. Flying dragon has more S shaped branches & the thornes are hooked downword--like fish hooks. I grow mine in pots & in fall when they lose thier leaves, I put them in my basement to sleep w/ my figs.I hear they are good to zone 5 but I think it's more like Z 6. I'd put heavy mulch on it in Z 6 if out in groumd.People keep referring to Poncirus Trifoliata as the same as Fling dragon but they are really different.
    Citrange, I appreciate the link but a lot wouldn't open.
    I bought a Tri. Lemon plant & grew 2 Tri. Orange from seed & they look identical. The Fling Dragon is different with the s shaped branches & hooked thornes. Anyone with more kowledge about these? Thanks
    Patty

• AnotherAlterEgo
    18 years ago

M. - I say to start growing it. Poncirus has a tendency to go dormant, which adds significantly to its hardiness.

Patty - I could write a book, but I'll keep it simple. Poncirus trifoliata is commonly referred to as "Trifoliate Orange". Poncirus trifoliata 'monstrosa' is commonly referred to as "Flying Dragon". Botanically, these are (basically) the same plant, despite their subtle differences. I've attached a link to an article that discusses some of the differences between the two. Perhaps it will enhance your understanding. Good luck.

Here is a link that might be useful: Dwarfing and Freeze Hardiness Potential of Trifoliate Orange Rootstocks

• citrange2
    18 years ago

Patty-There is no difference between plants of PT called 'orange' or 'lemon'. Some people call them Hardy Orange or Japanese Bitter Lemon, or something similar, but botanically they are all the same thing.
    Any particular page wouldn't open? They all seemed OK when I checked them out just now.

• meadowbrite
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Citrange, what a great website you have there. I wished someone could do this for other regions that I could relate. Great job and I didn't find any problems browsing through it.

Well, on my trip when I spotted Poncirus trifoliata in New Jersey, I took a few cuttings; this was over two months ago, they seem to be surviving but I haven't checked for roots yet. Does anybody have a success rotting it from cuttings?

I am not sure which variety it is. It is very thorny and I didn't see any fruits on it, even though it was maybe one meter/three feet high.

Thanks for postings and let's see someone else who have had success in cold climes with this plant.

Kris

• Patty_in_Wisc
    18 years ago

Citrange, I apologize for last night. I tried again today & everything came up. After reading what I wrote, I'm embarrassed...I was falling asleep & repeating myself. I read a lot today & will never have to ask about flying dragon or pon. trif. again! Thank you for posting that.
    Thank you AAE also. I bookmarked both sites. I also learned a bit about my buhda hand. Thank you both.
    It also answered my question of whether to plant my tri's in ground. If I ever do, it will get heavily mulched as we can get many days of below zero temps.
    Patty

• clarkinks
    9 years ago

My original Poncirus Trifoliate trees died after 2 years so I'm attempting to grow these again in zone 5. I've heard of them being grown outside in Wichita KS though have been advised these are variable on zone hardiness depending on the seed origin.

• devonuk
    9 years ago

Better link:

http://www.homecitrusgrowers.co.uk/poncirustrifoliata/wheretoseePT.html

The original one gives me a "can't find wanadoo" error message.

• subtropix
    9 years ago

They are hardy here, but I rarely see them grown in my zone 7. Might be those darn thorns! Also, I never see them them being offered in local nurseries. They should be hardy to 6b..., I remember a nice specimen at Longwood in SE, Pa.

This post was edited by njoasis on Sat, Sep 13, 14 at 7:39

• paty99
    9 years ago

We had one in our yard when I was a kid, in Westchester county New York. Zone 6. We never did anything special for it and it did just fine.

• clarkinks
    9 years ago

I planted half a dozen more around my pond and we will see if any make it through the winter in zone 5

• Ross 5b IA
    last year

I'm bumping up this discussion because I'm considering trifoliate orange for my Zone 5b garden. If anyone has any further experience with this plant in colder zones, I'd love to hear it!

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    last year

It should do fine in zone 5b

• Howard Martin
    last year

Actually  trioilate orange has been known to handle  zone  5 in general

Howard

• Howard Martin
    last year

But I'm no expert like most on this forum check it out by looking It up 

Howard

• Howard Martin
    last year

Subtropix you might have to order some seeds  from  citrus  seed companies

• Howard Martin
    last year

Meadowbrite

I know you might not want to order the seeds   but you might need to order the seeds from citrus seed companies I hope this helps you out some  even though I have not ordered any but At this point what do you have to lose

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    last year

Howard What happened to your planting seeds from store bought lemons.

• Howard Martin
    last year

I  had to temporarily have to start again  at another time  because I can't  grow anything at my sister's place that is where I'm living now I a trailer that's not safe for Man nor beast 

Howard

• timbz6
    last year

I’m z6b Massachusetts and my Poncirus is 18 years old and has survived -13F (-25C) with little to no damage. Its very happy here and

naturalizes in my garden.

• Howard Martin
    last year

Why wasn't I told there was four varieties

• Howard Martin
    last year

Ponicirusguy6b452xx  I have not gave up but right now I'm forced to grow nothing not even dandelions for my gout

• Howard Martin
    last year

That's what happened to them

• herman zimmerman
    last year

These fruits are a selection of Poncirus known as Poncirus Plus. The off flavors found in common Poncirus are reduced in this selection. These are the first fruits from a 3 year old seedling.

• Howard Martin
    last year

Subtropix

If you want some of them  bad enough citrus seed companies carry the seeds  and that way you can get some control over the future genetic of them