Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sk290

Looking for a pomelo tree

Sandra Tran
14 years ago

Does anybody know of a reliable source for pomelo trees? I'm in Southern CA, north of San Diego but anywhere would be great too. Hope someone can help. Thanks!

Sandra

Comments (6)

• malcolm_manners
    14 years ago

Not wanting to seem too pedantic, but just to be clear when you're shopping, "pomelo" is the old-fashioned name for all varieties of grapefruit, and never any other fruit. "Pummelo" or "shaddock" is more likely what you mean (Citrus grandis, a.k.a. C. maxima), right? So particularly if you're shopping online, spelling it "pummelo" may help in your search.

Malcolm M. Manners, Ph.D.
    John and Ruth Tyndall Professor of Citrus Science
    Florida Southern College
    Lakeland

• Sandra Tran
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Ah, right, Citrus grandis. I guess the difficulty is the fact that there are restrictions on certain states for shipping citrus to and from other states due to diseases (I've read that somewhere). Also, this fruit doesn't seem to be very popular here in Southern CA. I used to live in Houston and they were all over.

Still looking for a source if you know of one. Thank you and have a wonderful day! :)

Sandra

• fofoca
    14 years ago

Four Winds has the Chandler pummelo, and since they're in northern California there are no shipping restrictions. You can probably special-order one from a local nursery if you don't want to pay for shipping.

Here is a link that might be useful: Four Winds - grapefruit section

• Sandra Tran
    Original Author
    14 years ago

That is so great!!! I'll check it out and post once I get one. Thank you so much for the website and have a wonderful weekend!!! :)

Sandra

• siegel2
    14 years ago

Your local Home Depot will order one for you if they don't already have some in stock.

• Sandra Tran
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Even better! I'll check with them. Thank you for the info and have a great day!

Sandra