Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mbrowne_gw

ID of citrus tree

mbrowne
12 years ago

I was hoping someone might ID this tree that is in the backyard of the house I recently bought in Central California. I know nothing about citrus trees :)

{{gwi:621177}}

It has these thorns that seem to be only on non-fruiting branches:

{{gwi:621179}}

Also wondering what might be causing the distorted leaves on new growth:

{{gwi:621181}}

Thanks for any help.

Comments (10)

• justfigured
    12 years ago

It looks like a meyer lemon, but certainly could be anything. Crush a leaf and smell it. If it smells lemony, you are one step closer to identifying it. If the fruit turn a yellow orange color when ripe, you probably have a meyer. Neighbors may be able to help you with the identification, as they may have interacted with the previous owners and may even have shared in the harvest. The damage is leaf miner, and is non fatal but unattractive. There are many posts on this forum on how to minimize the problem, I do not live in an area where it is an issue so you should read up on the advice available here.

• mbrowne
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the help. Based on the leaf scent, I'm thinking it's a lemon. I'll give it more time...

This strange growth showed up the other day:
    {{gwi:621184}}

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    12 years ago

It would be nice if you shared what species that hummer is.

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    12 years ago

Oh boy, what a sweet photo! Agree with rhizo, love to know what hummer this little gal is. Great photo!

Patty S.

• mbrowne
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I believe it is an Anna's. I see quite a few of those, and some Costa's.

• johnmerr
    12 years ago

We have 18 species of hummers here in Guatemala, including the famous ruby throat. I probably have around 10 different varieties at different times of the year visiting my feeders.

12 years ago

John, you all are in the Mecca of hummingbird territory! That, and Mexico, and parts of Arizona. I see 3 different hummers here, Annas (the main hummer in my yard), Costas and Rufuous. I would love to see 10 to 18 different hummer species at my place!! And, I was really surprised to see them visiting my citrus flowers, too!!

Patty S.

• johnmerr
    12 years ago

Well, I think the Meyer Lemon flower is about the sweetest of all... if you have flowers, you will have hummers and bees; the bees will come from half a mile away to a lemon flower. I am planning to put some hives at my farm in January to make Meyer Lemon Honey for friends and family.

• johnmerr
    12 years ago

Sorry, I misspoke... we have 39 species of hummingbirds in Guatemala... here's a link to them

Here is a link that might be useful: Guatemala Hummingbirds

12 years ago

That's what I thought, John! I am an avid bird watcher, and my yard has been designated as a National Wildlife Sanctuary. I have a very interesting phenomena that seems to be occurring every February with Anna's and Costa's migrating back to my yard. Which is odd because Anna's live here all year round. But apparently, some do migrate. I am buying a camcorder to make sure I capture this next February. They all come back to my yard and swarm just one of my 6 feeders. I think it's because the original parents from the first year we moved in and put up the feeder are bring their progeny back. Last February I had over 100 Anna's at one time at this feeder, it was a sight! But, that would pale to 39 different species of hummingbirds. There are actually trips you can go on, to birdwatch for all of them. Maybe one day I can go on one to Guatemala, that would be cool!!

Patty S.