Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mrmessy

Review my potted citrus methodolgy please!

MrMessy
9 years ago

Hi folks :) been trawling through the forums for some info over the past few months and took the plunge in the last few weeks by purchasing dwarf a washington navel orange, a dwarf lemonade, and dwarf emperor mandarin. On the attached picture they are in that order from left to right.

If you please, i would just like a few tips on my setup to make sure ive covered the basics and not doing anything overtly wrong.

I got the orange, then mandarin, then lemonade. The mandarin was by far the youngest (judging by size of course), but i just today got the lemonade so it was pretty big on arrival by comparison.

All three are in 60cm black pots wrapped in white hessian (limited pot colour choice at that size dictated black, so wrapped to reduce heat absorption), all have a raised saucer with the pot again raised to give total drainage - the saucer does not allow water to be retained inside the pot, its just there to keep the grass from finding its way easily into the pots.

All pots have some small river stones in the base just for added stability and drainage, and all have a retail mix of citrus mix soil with a little cow manure added in, topped with about 3-5cm of sugar cane mulch held in place with some wire mesh. The mesh is there for a few reasons - to keep it in place during any wind, to keep it away from the trunk, and to keep the naughty whippet away per the photo also!

Watering, as they are new ive been giving them a limited water each day, not enough to drown them but keeping them moist for a few weeks. I use an automatic system you can see coming down the post. My only real concern here is they DO wet the trunk. Should i be concerned about this? I know its a nono to keep the trunk wet, but with the separation of mulch is this really something i should be concerned about?

Also, ive had my initial run-in with citrus leafminer on the orange, and I gave them a squish before treating all plants to a squirt of white oil.

Any tips moving forward? Any mistakes that are glaringly obvious to everyone but me?

Thanks for your time folks :D. Oh, I am happy to give a closer shot of any of the pots if you want to see it for any reason.

-MrM.

Comments (7)

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    9 years ago

Okay, a few comments: I would use pot feet and place the pots on pavers. I would not risk having your pots sit in water. You'd have to make sure the bottom of the pots are raised higher than the top lip of the saucer to assure that water is not able to collect and cause a puddling inside the bottom of your pots. Grass rarely will migrate up the hole of a pot, so, it may be that you could just set the pots directly on the grass. Or, simply remove the grass from under the pots, and then mulch the bare ground, and put your pots on top of that. I think the saucer set up is rather complicated and could pose problems.

Secondly, pebbles or rocks at the bottom of a pot does not promote drainage, common misconception. And, your potting mix is very heavy. I would not be inclined to use manure in a container, just too hot. You're better off creating a modified version of 511 or Gritty mix or simply using the Gritty or 511 mix straight. if your trees will be outside, and if you live in a drier climate. I'm not familiar with your climate and rainfall (winter or summer, how much, etc.) Mulch is fine, especially if your climate tends to be dry, but with this very heavy potting mix, you may find that you're retaining too much water, and your roots may start to suffocate.

Treating CLM is a preventative treatment. If you see CLM, it's too late. Hort Oils probably will not do much good. Instead, note when you first discovered CLM, then start treating next season about 2 weeks prior to CLM showing up in your area. Your choice of multiple Spinosad sprayings (organic, every 3 weeks, 6 appications maximum done in the evening to avoid bees), or, a twice a year application of systemic Imidacloprid (non-organic, but rather benign as non-organic insecticides go, and easier to apply).

Watering - no, it's not okay to have the water hit the trunks. I would change your drip heads. Instead, use two 180 heads placed right next to the trunk, opposite of each other, pointing away from the tree trunk, sprinkling towards the edge of the pot.

Patty S.

• meyermike_1micha
    9 years ago

Patty hit everything head on..I wanted to help earlier but she did a wonderful job of explaining and helping you.

Mike..)

• MrMessy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ok thanks for that folks.
    No need to worry about the saucers reaching the bottom of the pot - you cant see it because of the wrapping but the pots are definitely raised in the saucer and theres no chance of the water reaching the pot.

Soil wise, i used Debco Citrus Mix. My only reason is im not at all within a convenient range to somewhere i can get the makeup of 511. Ill see what i can do about it though.
    Assuming i can get hold of the mix, should I repot asap or let them go through their spring flush that has already started - indeed ive already got new growth coming up on Mr Lemonade! Mandarin is proving a slow grower but has a couple tiny leaves appearing. Mandarin also had the least established looking roots in the pot it arrived in.

Noted on pebbles not helping drainage, though they are a double intention - hopefully they will help stabilise the pot in wind when they get bigger.

Watering - ok ill see if i can get a pair of smaller sprayers for each pot - the ones i have its hard to get them to keep the water in the pot at a low pressure, so ill see if there is a size smaller!

On my climate: Its a rather dry climate on east coast australia, most of our wind comes across the country. We either get heaps of rain, usually in summer, or no rain at all. Its humid here year round. Summer is usually 30-35c days on average but 45c+ in the shade isnt unheard of (i make sure all my plants get a drink before the sun comes up on those days!). We do get relatively cold winters, 5-10c, extremely rare below zero, but no 'frosts' as such.

Thanks for your comments :).

• bounty
    9 years ago

Imidacloprid is neither benign nor harmless.
    Already banned in much of Europe and restricted use in many other countries, the association with colony collapse disorder in bees is not idle speculation any more.
    In commercial citrus groves, there is a withholding period of 20 weeks, for Bayer Confidor (Imidacloprid). For a systemic that is a very long time. CLM is largely cosmetic on mature trees. In your case go with the pest oil sprays interchanging carefully with spinosad late in the day.

• MrMessy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Swapped over to 4 drippers. Seems to work good enough, tested moisture levels at a few points of the pot, all about even an hour after water.
    Managed to find a local-ish source of 511, and ill repot end of next winter before the spring flush :).

Won't be using Imidacloprid as I don't think ill need it, plus there is a bee farm near me and I get tonnes of bees pollinating stuff for me.

Thanks for the tips folks!

• MrMessy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Swapped over to 4 drippers. Seems to work good enough, tested moisture levels at a few points of the pot, all about even an hour after water.
    Managed to find a local-ish source of 511, and ill repot end of next winter before the spring flush :).

Won't be using Imidacloprid as I don't think ill need it, plus there is a bee farm near me and I get tonnes of bees pollinating stuff for me.

Thanks for the tips folks!

{{!gwi}}

• MrMessy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

^^ not sure why i got a double post a minute later minus a photo there, but whatever :D.