Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
erwinvr101

increasing amount of fertilizer

erwinvr101
10 years ago

Hi! I have two calamondin trees with tiny fruits on them. Some of the fruits have fallen even though they are just really small. I'm thinking maybe the trees couldn't handle a lot of the fruits and that's why they're dropping them. Should I add more fertilizer so that the trees can compensate? I water and fertilize together every 5 days at this time of the year (depends on the weather). The fertilizer i'm using is Baby Bio Citrus. Thanks for your help.

Comments (12)

• johnmerr
    10 years ago

bumping this down...no photos, little information...little chance of getting a good answer

• cayden
    10 years ago

John, there's no need to be grumpy.. this is a friendly forum; not all of us are experts!

erwinvr101, citrus are pretty good at self thinning, ie they'll only keep the fruit that they can handle. Just adding more fertilizer won't help unless there is a nutrient deficiency. The NPK ratio of the fertilizer you mentioned is, NPK: 5.6:4.7:8.6, which is not quite the ratio that is considered optimal, 3:1:2 is. A lot of people on this forum like Foliage Pro because it includes micronutrients as well.

If you want some more help post some pictures.

• johnmerr
    10 years ago

Trying not to be grumpy, although I do have a semi-deserved reputation of being a curmudgeon. The real issue is people who come here looking for advice, but offer nothing... no photos, no location information...etc, etc.

The "lesson" .. if you want good answers, give us good information

• erwinvr101
    Original Author
    10 years ago

thanks cayden! that's all i need to know. i'll try find a fertilizer with that NPK ratio. this pic shows the leaves are curling and some are yellowing, but even then, fruitlets are falling weeks before this happened, even with good weather. i guess they just need to fall and probably more will because the temperature here in Ireland had suddenly become colder this past few days.

• erwinvr101
    Original Author
    10 years ago

here's the other one. it has way less fruitlets than the other one. it concentrated in growing new leaves. it's bushier with larger leaves and way taller than the other even though i bought them with the same height. they're actually almost identical before. i think it's got to do with the way i repotted them.

• erwinvr101
    Original Author
    10 years ago

here's the two of them together. again, thanks cayden for the help.

• johnmerr
    10 years ago

Not all plants are created equal... that is unless you are growing one of my Meyers which are all genetically identical. Even with that some thrive, some less, and some die. I wouldn't stress about these trees; they look pretty happy.

• erwinvr101
    Original Author
    10 years ago

hi john! i repotted those trees the day i bought them. i used cactus compost mix with perlite, 70:30. the tree on the first pic, i didn't remove soil on the root bulb but pruned some of the roots that have gone root bound. the second one, i remove about 40% of the soil from the root bulb because i noticed that the soil was a little bit hard to touch. i also pruned some of the roots too. this i think was the reason they grow differently.

i may add that when i bought them they both have a lot of yellow fruits on them which i removed right away.

• erwinvr101
    Original Author
    10 years ago

here's another one that i bought from the same place three days after. i repotted it with 50:50 cactus compost and perlite. i also removed about 60% of the soil from the root bulb. this tree didn't grow much and it didnt even flower. you will also notice the difference on the color of the leaves on this tree. i treat this with one tablespoon of epsom salt with one gallon of water together with the baby bio citrus fertilizer. it will be okay for a few weeks but the leaves will go back to this color. i also noticed that it requires frequent watering as the water drains and dries faster. i'm thinking of repotting this tree next spring with a more compact mix, less perlite, so it can hold the nutrients better.

but i don't know, i'm a total amateur when it comes to this. my priority at this time was to help them survive the winter here in ireland

This post was edited by erwinvr101 on Sun, Sep 8, 13 at 11:51

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    10 years ago

Johnmerr

L had no idea that you were a curmudgeon. Keep up the good work'

Steve

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    10 years ago

Johnmerr

L had no idea that you were a curmudgeon. Keep up the good work'

Steve

• johnmerr
    10 years ago

Steve,

I believe I am a certified curmudgeon; I am working on international certification,