Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sugar water for transplants?

Posted by kiwi_ellymay New Zealand (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 19, 10 at 7:36

Anyone know whether this is effective (and safe to use) on citrus plants? I have read that a solution of 50g sugar to a litre of water has proven to be beneficial to many tree species after transplanting (to provide an immediate carbohydrate source) but that it is not beneficial for all species and may be harmful.

I have just transplanted 2 mature citrus and am doing all I can to keep them alive as they are going into shock having lost a lot of roots.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sugar water for transplants?

Why not glucose?

o

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a MI (My Page) on
    Sun, Sep 19, 10 at 14:30

Sugar is made up of molecules containing carbon, hydrogen, and oxygen. Because plants get their carbon from carbon dioxide in the air, and both hydrogen and oxygen from water taken up through the roots, there is never a scarcity of these elements available to the plant, so sugar provides no nutrients for the plant. Plants make and store their own food, sugar, during photosynthesis.

A tablespoon of sugar in a gallon of water has the same effect on a plants ability to take up water as a tablespoon of table salt. Plants rely on solutes inside their cells to 'pull' water through cell walls (osmosis). As the level of solutes in the solution outside of cells increases, it becomes increasingly more difficult for the plant to take up water and the nutrients dissolved in water. You can see that sugar has no direct benefit to plants, and is more likely to do harm.

What sugar MIGHT do, is provide a carbohydrate source of food for soil organisms that enrich mineral soils. Remember though, that you need to take into account the amount of other solutes in the soil (like fertilizer) because sugar applications oversupplied can cause fertilizer burn as quickly as fertilizer.

Al

o

Thanks Al, the same principle as avoiding fertilizing a plant when it is under water stress.

Unfortunately we are beset with strong winds here at the moment, so I am just keeping the water trickling and hoping.

Cheers
Eleanor

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here