Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Injured Kumquat, help!!! Can I save/root the injured part???

Posted by stephen90 (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 22, 10 at 9:44

One of the branches of my Kumquat was bumped into and split nearly off, just sort of hanging there. After panicking, I pushed it back onto the tree where it's being held with light tape but I doubt it will heal. Will it? Can I remove and root the limb? Its a small limb, thinner than a pencil and a bit smaller than the palm of my hand with leaves included, and pictures of the tree are in my other thread on this page. Any help is appreciated!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Injured Kumquat, help!!! Can I save/root the injured part???

I am not a pro here, so I would wait for one of the pro's to answer, however I did have a similar situation once with my ponderosa lemon tree.
I had a split once too. Since the poor thing was young and only had 3 limbs, I did not want to remove it, so I went out, and got some of that tree wound dressing ( looks like black tar) and painted that all over it, and then took that green stretchy plant tie instead of tape ( it is cheap and unlike tape, it is more breathable)and used that to hold it together. The limb eventually connected itself back together after a while and years later, it is a now a main large branch to my tree!

I am sure you could also remove it and try to root it also. You may have a 50/50 on that.

But like I said, this is just a personal experience, and you may want to wait for one of the pros here to chime in! Good luck! Christy

o

If you match up the cambium exactly and tape it tightly (with floral tape, not scotch tape) it may heal. If it's a jagged rip this may be difficult or impossible, but it may be worth a shot.

o

Citrus can grow a lot each season. So, if I were you, I would just cut off the broken branch and try to root it with some rooting hormone in a container filled with perlite as an experiment - if it succeeds, you got yourself another tree! The original Kumquat tree will replace the broken branch eventually.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here