Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I have a dwarf naval orange that just won't grow right

Posted by danny1893 (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 23, 10 at 10:18

I have had this dwarf naval orange now for about a year and ever since I got it it never really wanted to grow. I started giving it a heavier dose of fertilizer thinking it wasn't feeding enough and in a matter of two weeks two branches shot out about a foot each and now it hasn't moved again since. Any ideas on what is going on with my plant???

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I have a dwarf naval orange that just won't grow right

top growth "flushes" are part of the trees life, they are often unpredictable. I had trees that did the same thing and once I got all my ducks in a row, so to speak, they all took off. My naval orange has had 2 flushes this year and 2 of my lemon seedlings and my grafted key lime always have new growth on them, so it could be the type.

Now in your case it is really hard to tell what could be going on, because we dont know much about your tree.
what is the soil made of
how much light does the tree get
what are you using for ferts.
how often do you water

Im assuming this one is in a container, and if so Al wrote a very informative post about limiting factors in container plants.

Here is a link that might be useful: How plant growth is limited.

o
RE: I have a dwarf naval orange that just won't grow right

Give it 10 to 14 hours of Direct sunlight in any open field or greenhouse all summer and winter, and you will see it take off, even without much fertilizer..

The sad part is that many of us can not provide that much light all year long or the prerfect conditions.

Some of mine will just rest for months, or seem like they are in supended animation, that is just the way they can be, while others will grow every month..

If it is green and healthy, then I would be apt to think it is more of a light issue than a mix issue...If you were having yellowing leaves, leaf drop, dead branches, fungas gnats, and salt build up in the mix, then soil would have to be adressed almost immediately for best results first, the lots and lots of sunlight..

How much sun does this plant get anyway? Other than the growth being slow, are there any other problems it deals with? Can you post a picture of it? How often does it spend outdoors and where so you put it? Where do you place it come winter in your home? How much sun does it get then? What kind of mix are you using? I am going to assume that your mix is very well draining and pourous...

Mksmth has provided a GREAT link to Al's thread that I know will give you much insight as it has me..

Mike

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here