Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
asrar_gw

Meyer Lemon Pink purple / white flower myth

Asrar
9 years ago

Hi.

The flowers which grow or bloom outside / sunlight they have some pink and purple colors on it.
And the flower which grow or bloom inside the house they have white colors...
Here are the pictures of flowers from same plant when the plant was out and now when it is inside.
Have a good weekend.
Asra

Comments (10)

• Asrar
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Second pic taken inside.

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    9 years ago

I don't know that this is a "myth", Asrar. My in-ground Meyer will have both all white flowers, as well as pink/purple tinged flowers all at the same time. As well as have fruits that are different shapes, from smooth and round, to having a more classic lemon shape with a nipple. Again, all at the same time.

Patty S.

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    9 years ago

Agree with Patty.
    I've had purplish blooms indoors.

Josh

• Asrar
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I agree with you that it is not a myth actually. But I was asked so many times from my friend and I had no answer except that a ML can have both colors on flowers. But Can, a flower change color in direct light and indirect light ? was the point of curiosity, which i mentioned as myth for beginners or who google this question.
    Well, now we have many answers and possibilities in this case.
    Thanks for contribution :)

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    9 years ago

Patti do you eat your Meyer lemons out of hand or do you proccess them into a food item or for drinks.

Steve

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    9 years ago

I don't eat any sour citrus out of hand. I use my Meyer lemons for lemonade, limoncello, and cooking. Asrar, I'm not sure. That's an interesting question that you could pose to your ag university. It may be that flowers in direct sun develop a pinkish purple tinge, and those more shaded do not. I haven't examined my tree closely enough to determine if that might be the case. I do know that moro oranges will develop more red skin pigment on the north side of the tree, than on the south side. So, perhaps sunlight or temperatures affect the coloration of the flowers on the Meyer. John may weigh in on this, since he is all things, Meyer.

Patty S.

• HU-483422717
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

He's talking about people saying that White flowers grow on immature trees & won't fruit. He's proving it wrong. He's saying it's light determined not age. He's just not very clear

• Ken B Zone 7
    4 years ago

I have had both white and purple flowers on my meyer lemon regardless of it being indoors or out.

• TheyCallMeDave
    4 years ago

He doesn't talk about which myth he's disproving... Just stating he gets purple blooms outdoors and white indoors... You can get purple blooms indoors if you have a nice sunny Window... I've done it myself. The color is directly connected to sunlight or some type of UV light. I've had blooms that come out completely purple because I keep directing direct sunlight all day on the bloom and I've done white by shading it from the sun.

Yes... this forum has slowed down.... might be because it's Summer and people are more outside... or the fact that there's soo much information on this forum and elsewhere that most people who find the help they need before finding this forum thus reducing the amount of new users needed to populate the forum.... and the older senior people either die, get busy, grow bored of these topics and disappear, reducing the numbers even more.

There's also other forum like Facebook, Twitter, random websites... I think OurFigs has a Citrus Section, I just never really check it.

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm