Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
johnorange_gw

Advice for watering a kumquat transplanted this weekend?

johnorange
10 years ago

I transplanted this kumquat tree this past weekend. I planted it too deep three or four years ago and it hasn't done well. It has fruited fairly well but the fruit weren't sweet (Patty, don't roll your eyes at me) and it has grown some but recently has lost a few branches. I wish I had taken photos of the transplanting project. I dug a huge hole around the perimeter of the tree, used water spray to reduce the diameter of the remaining dirt and ultimately used the winch on my truck to cut under the ree and drag it out of the hole on a tarp. I cut the tap root 10-12 inches below the soil but I think I preserved most of the lateral roots. I removed all of the green fruit and pruned off a few small branches. It was flowering and those are still intact three days later. The new location will be mostly shaded until I take out a diseased ornamental pear tree. I have done two foliage feeds and root drenches with "Garrett Juice", a diluted emulsion of seaweed, compost, molasses, and fish products. How do I walk the line between watering too much and underwatering the tree in its new location as it recovers from a rather traumatic move?

Comments (5)

• laidbackdood
    10 years ago

Leave it alone! Citrus dont need all this love and attention and they dont need much water at all...Many have origins from asia.
    I live in Perth western Australia...from dec to april....the temp varies from 30 to 40C.......citrus grow in sand here...receive hardly any rain at all and grow really well.
    Citrus dont need much water...esp in the ground where they can push their roots out.
    Moving the tree around all the time is not a good idea......one big watering on transplant...do not feed at all now for the next 2 weeks...allow the tree to settle in.......only start feeding when you see new growth......and whatever you do...dont plant this tree where a diseased pear tree used to live!...That tree looks mighty fine to me......i have grown satsumas when they didnt get any sun at all...so they are pretty hardy.....only feed when new growth appears and sprinkle some epsom salts around the drip line occasionally....you can mulch them with your lawn clippings in spring/summer(high in nitrogen) but make sure the mulch is 2 to 3 inches away from the trunk......The reality is that this tree will probably grow better if you went on holiday for 6 months!!!LOL......serious....I have killed many trees by over watering them and paying too much attention to them esp in pots(where they are more fussy).....In the ground.....many people dont even bother with them at all and get crops........one thing is the need for nitrogen when fruit are growing and grass clippings are very high in that(it breaks down and is organic).....try to keep that square you have there free of weeds and grass growth and only mulch in spring to autumn....Another thing to bear in mind is that all fruit trees get better with age......each year that goes by...fruit will improve.......you can help improve the quality of next years crops by doing two things
    1...Feed fruits with organic feeds......make sure they get nitrogen through spring and summer to help the fruits reach their full potential.
    2,Thin out fruitlets....citrus tend to be greedy flower/fruit setters......rather than try to get heaps of fruits......thin them out and look for quality not quantity.....allow space for each fruit to grow into.....visualize the fruit growing there without a neighbour!....that goes for any citrus.
    Then you should get what you are looking for.
    Good luck mate.

This post was edited by laidbackdood on Tue, Sep 3, 13 at 13:48

• johnorange
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the comments Laidbackdood. Well, it's a little late on leaving it alone because I transplanted it several days ago. I'll take your advice on the watering regime. I also have a tendency to over care for trees. I killed a fig tree one time and I have even killed an aloe plant back in my college days. I watered this tree heavily for a couple of days after transplanting because I was worried about effects from cutting the tap root and this is a really hot/dry time of year here for transplanting trees. I checked on it during my lunch break and took a photo of its new location. I'm running out of places to put new trees, hence the decision to move it to the soon-to-be gap where the diseased ornamental pear is. The pear has been hit by several hurricanes and is full of wax scale bugs.

• johnorange
    Original Author
    10 years ago

By the way, here is the blueberry where the kumquat was. I'm using vinyl fence panels to shade the tree for a while. So far, I have had only really minor mid-day wilt in 90+ degree weather. Because of the oyster shell fragments in it's original location, I shook most of the soil off the roots before replanting it here.

• laidbackdood
    10 years ago

Wow...thats hot! I would keep the citrus shaded from that heat for a while too.......same style.......just while the roots settle down from the shock.......that would be my main concern is the shock to the roots.......I dont know if you get seasol there(its liquid seaweed)) but that is great for helping plants get over the shock......if you have lost a fair bit of roots...I would prune back some of the top growth too or you will have a lot of top with a tree that doesnt have enough rootball to sustain it.......so try to prune top in relation to your root pruning exploits!! hahaha(that was different!)......and shade a bit and all should be good....It will settle down and put out new roots........Top growth might well be non existent for a while....citrus tend to cycle from top growth to root growth....so if nothing is happening on the top.....thats a sure sign the roots are busy......Just protect her for the next 2 weeks to a month(having said that ..you did say it was in a shaded area...so should be all good)....Good luck

This post was edited by laidbackdood on Wed, Sep 4, 13 at 2:14

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    10 years ago

You got the idea. I have transplanted two citrus with root loss and I just shade them and foliar feed them in the early hours, and they do fine. I gave them a good watering once and leave the root base alone from then on.