Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Best time to plant citrus trees

Posted by csetz (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 20, 09 at 10:49

I've moved into the state a year or so ago. Keep staring ay my neighbors orange and grapefruit trees. WOuld like to start a few of my own. When is the best time to plant them? What size would you recommend starting with if I want fruit in a year or so?

Also, appears I have a lemon tree in the corner of the lot. I haven't seen a blossom on it, but the leaves smell like lemon. typically how long till a lemon tree bears fruit? I estimate this one at 3-4 years old.

Thanks - Chad

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Best time to plant citrus trees

Chad, which state was that? Here in California, fall is a good time to plant them - they can get settled during the mild weather and be ready to take off in the spring. This would not work well in other parts of the country.

If a tree is grafted or from cuttings from a mature tree, it should bear fruit within a year or two. A seedling can take up to 10 years.

I have a one-gallon Meyer lemon that is starting to bear fruit, and a 3.5-gallon yuzu that should bloom next spring. Both were purchased this spring and I'm keeping them in containers.

All citrus need the right environment (sun, feeding, watering, etc.) to produce reliable crops, so do a bit of research so you can ensure success. Sounds like your neighbor would be a good consultant!

o
RE: Best time to plant citrus trees

I agree, right now is a great time to start new citrus. It still has enough time to get some new growth, then harden up for winter.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here