Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
anne33kb

Meyer limbs weighed down with fruit

anne33kb
10 years ago

Hello all,
I'm a first time poster but read the forum faithfully. My Meyer lemon has 40 lemons on it that have grown to full size after thinning dozens of younger ones on it so I think it believes it can support that many. but the limbs are all bending down from the weight. The tree is 6-7 years old and if the limbs weren't bending over it would be close to 4' tall and about that wide. Don't ask me to send a pic because I am a technically challenged old lady. I hated thinning the small fruit and cringe at the thought of removing more fruit this close to ripening. Should I stake the limbs up or just leave them??

Comments (3)

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    10 years ago

Just support your branches, and make sure you're fertilizing your Meyer well. They are SUCH prolific fruit producers, they need more fertilizer, at least, in my experience with mine. And Ann, I'm an "old lady" but refuse the moniker (both "old lady" and "technically challenged". Here's how to add photos, it is SO simple, anyone can do it:

1. Go to www.photobucket.com. Sign up for a membership. Easy peasy.

2. Click on "upload photos".

3. Browse to all your photos on your computer of your tree. You can hold the Control button down, and left click on each photo to select all the photos you want to upload, and they'll all upload at one time.

4. Click on each photo. Over on the right side bar, you'll see various code options. Look for the "HTML" code option. Left click one on that code window. You'll see a "copied" message appear. That means that HTML code for your photo has just been copied to your Windows clipboard on your computer.

5. Come over to the Citrus forum, start your message. And then, where you'd like to insert your photo, simply RIGHT click, and select "Paste". All that code string will then be pasted right in the body of your message.

6. Click on "Preview Message". Voila! Your photo will be directly embedded into your message! Super easy.

Patty S.

• anne33kb
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for all that but I don't have any photos on my computer. If and when my Buddha's Hand citron produces a bunch of mature fruit I promise you I will find a way to send photos. My Meyer Lemon isn't spindly with weak branches. It has been fertilized well and looks as good as the ones I see on the forum-just has a lot of big heavy lemons.

• johnmerr
    10 years ago

Leave your Meyer lemons on the tree; and only cut them if they actually touch the ground. The bent limbs will seldom break with the weight of the fruit; and they will send up new growth from the now "lateral" limbs. When you cut the fruit, usually the limb will bounce back up. If your tree is as big as you want it, you are good; if you want the tree to get bigger, however, you have to let it keep less fruit. BTW, you can harvest Meyers before they are mature without really losing them; a half mature Meyer is still better than any of the "competing" lemons at full maturity.