Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
meyermike_1micha

It's HOT again, how about you?

meyermike_1micha
12 years ago

My fan is not helping much! lol

I took all the AC's out because it was so cool last week and now it is averaging mid eighties and VERY MUGGY! All the trees came back out. I must admit that I LOVE this weather and will miss it when it abruptly ends.

The trees are frolicking out there sitting by the pond and now that I can walk more, I just may take pics later. How has your weather been?

Has it been Citrus weather for you? Have you brought them in already?

Mike:-0)

Comments (17)

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    12 years ago

This entire week was in high 90F's for us!
    Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday were over 100F.

Thankfully, yesterday only hit about 90F. Last night, the Delta Breeze began to blow steady.
    And, this morning, the cold front has arrived. Cloudy skies, temps in the mid-60F's until the afternoon.

Josh

• yellowthumb
    12 years ago

Our weather has been mild or hot for over a week now. It's like summer again. My neighbor's AC is running again.

• Mad Ferret
    12 years ago

I was just beginning to think about bringing everything back inside and now it's warming up again here too.

So I'm currently planning on building an extension to my shed which will basically be a high poly tunnel with wood sides and a possible removable roof section.

What temps will they start to suffer at? I've got a Bears lime and Star ruby. Also im rooting some cuttings outside when should I bring them inside?

Regards
    Nick

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    12 years ago

we are averaging highs in the low 80's and nights it drops to the 50's. great weather!

nick

your trees will be fine down into the low 40's at night as long as it warms back into the 60's or so during the day. Once you start getting temps below 40 at night and below 60 during the day then you should really start thinking about protection. Some will have other opinions that is what i do and it works fine for me. The cuttings probably wont root at temps that low so you may think about a heat mat or something to get the root zone warmer.
    Meyer mike is excellent at rooting cuttings so Im sure he will have some good info.

mike

• Andrew Scott
    12 years ago

Today were supposed to hit 81 degrees!! Indian summer anyone? HEck I will take what I can get while I can! I really hope to get my 3 Oro Blanco fruits as mature as possible before they have to come in and finnish there ripening indoors.

Take care everyone and have an awesome Monday!

Andrew

12 years ago

Hey, guys!

Had a pleasant day yesterday, with temps in the upper 70F's.
    It's 50F out right now, which is typical (even for the Summer).

Nick, your trees will survive at quite cold temps...but the growth will slow considerably.
    If you want steady growth, without a lot of starts and stops, keep the temperature above 10C.
    Last winter, my trees did fine in a poly cold-frame. We saw temps as low as -5C.

Josh

• Mad Ferret
    12 years ago

Yeah Josh were having the same thing this week. It's 54F outside right now and were expecting 70F.

I don't expect to see 40's for at least another month so I should have enough time to get something constructed.

I'll bring the cuttings inside I've got a few inside already but to be honest my house plants are starting to take over the house :)

Regards
    Nick

• nann0n
    12 years ago

Summer weather is starting to kick in again here. Technically its still the start of spring but the days have been up to 95F already. Right now it's 8:30pm and sitting at 77F and unlikely to get much lower. Luckily the humidity hasn't hit yet.

This year I'm attempting to grow some potted citrus and they have already flowered and produced tiny little baby fruit. I don't know how I'll manage to wait months and months for them to ripen.

• windy3sheets
    12 years ago

Herm, looks like my post was lost or perhaps I responded in the wrong thread.

I had just began to contemplate bringing my citrus indoors at night and back out in the morning to acclimate to my sun-room, yet sudden weather change has made me think twice. My lime is even beginning to show new buds despite the prodigious fruiting going on already. Finally, it looks like after 2 1/2 years I'm going to have limes!!!

Anyway, I think I'll hold off until temps start to dip back into the low 40s in a week or so and then start the daily shuffle. One of my late tomato plants still has a couple just starting to ripen, so I'm going to trust them that the 'season' is not quite over yet.

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Wow everyone!

I am not sure what is going to happen in a few days here, I think cold, but boy did the nice warm weather go fast!:-((((

Mike

• Mad Ferret
    12 years ago

I can't believe it 25C today!

Regards
    Nick

12 years ago

headed for 90F tomorrow then friday a weak cold front pushes in lowering our highs back to the mid 70's lower 80's for the next 10 days.

Hey mike

One of my NOID plumeria is pushing up an inflo. this is the first one on this one since i bought it last summer. Im so excited we are having warm weather so it has a chance to flower.

Ill post some pics in the plumeria forum when/if it does.

Mike

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Mike! No way? What a feeling it is to know that we can get that to happen.lol
    I have one starting on mine too, one I have been trying to flower for 2 years! Now the cold weather comes in on Saturday. I have to do something about that.lol

Congrats buddy! Not only on your Plumeria, but on your weather too. Let me know when it flowers. By the way, check out the new plants I got at the CACTUS SHOW:-)

Here is a link that might be useful: New Succulents

12 years ago

Thanks mike i will for sure post some pics if I can get it to open a few flowers.

very nice mike

I have always looked over the succulents but have yet to buy one.

12 years ago

Hello, Mike and Mike! ;)

It was hot again here today, somewhere in the mid-90F's...
    between 94F and 98F. I'll be glad when cooler weather moves through.

Josh

• jerry_d
    12 years ago

Not hot here at all in the Chicago area. Past three days have been cool and rainy with daily high temps around 60F. The sun is scheduled to return on Friday and Saturday but with high temps only in the upper 50s and night temps in the upper 30s. I brought my two citrus inside a couple of weeks ago. They're back under grow lamps for next several months.

You guys enjoy the heat while it lasts...

Jerry

• User
    12 years ago

I have had the air on more in the last two weeks than most of the summer. No, it's not the 110 F heat of July--it's the HUMIDITY. Normal rainfall for me is about 43 inches per year. Got three months to go and current rainfall is 60 inches. September (and October) is supposed to be SUNNY & DRY. The sun has been absent for weeks now. Just yesterday, they were calling for a sharp cold front to barrel East and bring cool, dry, sunny, and crisp (but frost-free) conditions to the coast. I just read the latest Natl. Weather Service analysis, and now they have another one of these "cut off lows" camping out on the East coast. Went from cool and crisp to "deep, southerly, flow out of the tropics with prolonged period of...more rain. Weather Channel had a very interesting segment several days ago about a significant rise in these "cut off lows" and speculation on its relationship to climate change.

I don't mind the mild weather as I have only brought in the cacti (to prevent them from rotting and/or drowning. After Irene though, I bought my own generator and a new sump pump for the basement. Stay DRY!

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!