Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
yoanna_pro

Is my newly acquired Orange Jasmine sick? Please help!

yoanna.pro
10 years ago

Hi all, I need your help in figuring out whether the Orange Jasmine I got via mail yesterday is sick. I have never had a jasmine before, so I am not sure if the spots on the leaves are normal for this plant. I am attaching a grid with photos and hoping someone will be able to help me out. Thank you in advance!

Comments (12)

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    10 years ago

Looks like spider mites. It may have been treated and you're seeing the aftermath. I would send these photos to the company you bought your plant from, and ask them what is going on.

Patty S.

• yoanna.pro
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Patty S.,

Thank you so much for your reply. I got this plant and a Bougainvillea âÂÂBarbara KarstâÂÂ, which shows signs of rust, from Logee's. I have emailed them and they have just responded that there is nothing wrong with the plants, but only shipping stress and that I should repot them and wait for new growth in a few weeks. What do you think I should do? I am quite new to growing plants and I could use any advice from more experienced people! Thank you again for your response.

• meyermike_1micha
    10 years ago

What I would do if run out and get a magnifying glass and make sure you have nothing wrong with them looking under the leaves..I have received pest infested plants from them and many other mail order nurseries, and then mostly clean ones..

I would also keep them seperate from your other plants just to make certain, until you know.

I would also repot them ,and while you are at it rinse each leaf off rubbing them between your fingers as you do so if you should decide to keep them.

If you do find pests, call them immediately and report it...Let us know what happens, ok?

As Patty says, it could be old damage as she has a good eye for live pests....Cross your fingers..I can't imagine them being that bad since to me they look that good..

Mike

• yoanna.pro
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you so much for your reply, Mike!

Following your advice, I started washing the plant and I found something, which I am guessing are the spider mites Patty mentioned,under one of the leaves. Can either one of you please take a look and confirm before I send this pic to Logee's? I will also post a picture of the Bougainvillea, because I think it is also infested with something - if you could confirm? I did write a post in Garden Clinic, but no one has responded yet. Thank you very much for all your help, I really appreciate it.

• yoanna.pro
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is the Bougainvillea...

• Andrew Scott
    10 years ago

Hi Yoanna. I am so sorry you are going through this. I hate to say it, but I'm not surprised either. Mike, and I both have had issues with them, and I have not ordered from them in years. I had started a thread on them on one of the Garden Web forums and they jumped right in as expected trying to defend themselves! I'm sorry but it is NEVER a good sign when the company tells you that they do not send infested plants to customers. Let's face facts, it CAN happen to anybody!! Just apologize and agree to refund the customer!

If I were you, email the pictures, and if they STILL don't agree to replace them, tell them you will share your experience on Garden Web, and I bet they will be singing a different tune!

Mike,
    I hope I am not offending you! I know you have done a lot business with Logees and you know some of the workers there. All I am saying is that they need to be more responsible and to treat there customers better!

I also want everyone to know that I have had good experiences with Logees, just mote bad than good. When it comes to citrus trees, I have done much better buying from other places.

Andrew

• yoanna.pro
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Andrew,

Thank you so much for your reply and support. I have emailed them again with these photos. They responded that they don't see any mites, but they are giving me full refund.
    Other than washing and repotting them, is there anything else I can do to save them? I tried to find remedies in the GardenWeb forums and I saw recipes with alcohol and water for spraying the plants; dishwashing soap and water; neem seed oil; or just plain water. I can't decide which of these I should use, because I read very polarized opinions about each of them. If you have experience with Orange Jasmine or Bougainvillea, can you please advise what should I do? Thank you very much for all your help!
    Yoanna

• yoanna.pro
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Andrew,

Thank you so much for your reply and support. I have emailed them again with these photos. They responded that they don't see any mites, but they are giving me full refund.
    Other than washing and repotting them, is there anything else I can do to save them? I tried to find remedies in the GardenWeb forums and I saw recipes with alcohol and water for spraying the plants; dishwashing soap and water; neem seed oil; or just plain water. I can't decide which of these I should use, because I read very polarized opinions about each of them. If you have experience with Orange Jasmine or Bougainvillea, can you please advise what should I do? Thank you very much for all your help!
    Yoanna

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    10 years ago

Sure, yoanna. I would continue to spray them with hort oil and insecticidal soap. Treat once a week until all signs of the pests are gone. Hort oils inside are fine, no issues with outside temps over 85 degrees (when hort oils are contraindicated). You can treat them with both. I have also used a product called Mighty Wash with success. I think it's rather expensive, though, and I think you'll get the same results from hort oils and insecticidal soaps designed for the same purpose. Be sure you keep these two plants isolated, so they don't spread infection to your other houseplants.

Patty S.

• yoanna.pro
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you so much, Patty!
    All of you guys are amazing, thank you very much for your time and advice!

• meyermike_1micha
    10 years ago

I thought I posted this earlier, but I don't see it.
    I would also barefoot them and soak then under soapy water making sure to wash the leaves and roots very well.

You want to make sure you kill anything that had made its way into the soil and roots or they will surface even after spraying.

Throw all your old pots out from them after you have repotted them into a far better draining mix and clean to boot.

Good luck !

• yoanna.pro
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you so much, Mike! I will follow the steps and hopefully the plants will be OK!