Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maggyby

Advise would be appreciated.

maggyby
9 years ago

Hi, This morning when checking my trees I noticed this shiny curly pattern on the bottom of some leaves on my tango. I removed them but am wondering if it is leaf minor. If so is it treatable. I will be pitting my trees in the greenhouse soon and do not want to have it spread to all my trees. Thank you for any help or advise . Maggy

Comments (10)

• BarbJP 15-16/9B CA Bay Area
    9 years ago

Citrus Leaf Miner, also called CLM. Use search option and look it up. Why two threads?

• maggyby
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you Barb . I apologize for the double post. It looked like the first one didn't go through. Not sure how to remove it. In my web search I haven't found a treatment ..Maggy

• BarbJP 15-16/9B CA Bay Area
    9 years ago

Ok, here's a thread from a few weeks ago with some advice on how to treat CLM.

Actually, finding the search function for the Citrus Forum isn't super clear so here's how to find it;

Go to the top of this forum, you'll see a sentence that reads; "Before posting a question, please check the FAQ and do a search to make sure it hasn't already been answered."
    The word "search" is highlighted, click on it and on the page it takes you to ignore the "Post a message to the forum" part and go to the very top.
    You'll see a search box, type "CLM", make sure the "This Forum" is checked and then hit search. You should find lots more threads on the subject. Hope this helps.

Here is a link that might be useful: CLM thread

• maggyby
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Barb, Thank you so very much. That thread was most helpful. Being new to growing citrus ( here in cold Canada) I was a little I surprised to see" CLM " and unsure what to do. I will treat and appreciate your expert advise. I am very appreciative. Maggy

• citrange2
    9 years ago

In Canada, as here in the UK, CLM will not survive outdoors over winter. This means the only way CLM can arrive is on new citrus plants from an infected area.
    I had a couple of citrus plants in my greenhouse infected with CLM some years ago. I removed all affected leaves, sprayed everywhere with a systemic insecticide and horticultural oil. Luckily, I must have killed or removed all moths and larvae because I have had no signs of CLM since then.
    I now check every new citrus plant very, very carefully before letting it anywhere near my collection. A single plant is fairly easy to check - simply spray with water several times to dislodge the moths (far away from any other citrus) and look for infected leaves. If there are any, remove and destroy, and then use a suitable systemic insecticide. Isolate the plant until you are certain it is CLM free!
    There are many disadvantages trying to grow citrus in a cold climate. But one clear advantage is that it is definitely possible to have plants totally free from this pest.

• maggyby
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Citrange , Thank you for your reply .I am surprised to see CLM here. It is good news to know it will not survive the cold . I will isolate my plant and I will check all the others in the morning. Do you think it may have been infected when I bought it? I am having trouble finding Spinosad here in Canada, although the government declares it is legal to use here. I found some on eBay but they seem to sell it in large quantities and it is expensive to ship.
    I will do my best to find some. Having pest free trees is necessary as I do not want to infect the others when I put them in the greenhouse. Maggy

• meyermike_1micha
    9 years ago

Maggy, are you sure that is new damage?

Mike)

• maggyby
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Mike, no. I am not certain. I check my trees daily but may have missed it. It could have been there when I bought the tree. I haven't seen any on my other trees. Maggy

• maggyby
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Mike, no. I am not certain. I check my trees daily but may have missed it. It could have been there when I bought the tree. I haven't seen any on my other trees. Maggy

• meyermike_1micha
    9 years ago

Yeah, that s what I figured...I have this all the time on trees that I buy somewhere...They are treated before they can even sell them up here and I'll bet that you have no bug like that at all..I wouldn't worry about them, especially in our climate...Enjoy ))

The chances of them being on your tree is very slim to nothing,

MIke