Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aesir22

the SUPERTHRIVE experiment!!!!

aesir22
15 years ago

Toni, you will probably like this one!!

i can see some people smiling encouragingly. i can hear others grinding their teeth with frustration. the superthrive debate goes on in every gardening forum on the internet i think! i have heard some people deem it a waste of money and time. others swear by it, some to say it makes their plants look good, others to the extent it revived an almost dead plant back to life!

i have read thread after thread about it, so now, i want to find out if it works. to do so, i have 10 mandarin seeds. i soaked them overnight in water. today, i peeled off the hard outer shell (what a pain in the a** that was! really have to stop biting my nails) i have put them into a 10cell propagator - the five seeds on the left are unmarked and are being watered with plain, good old tap water! the other five on the right, marked to set them apart, are being watered with superthrive added to the water.

they have been put inside a little bag and put into our boiler cupboard, where the temperature is nice and high for the seeds to germinate....though not too high! i will post progress on here for anyone who is interested. i am looking forward to finally being able to make a decision on its effectiveness!

dan

Comments (38)

• gatormomx2
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

What's up with not using correct punctuation ?
    It's quite annoying !

• aesir22
    Original Author
    15 years ago

whats up with pointless responses to posts?

joking lol :D

i spend my days having to type everything perfectly at work, its nice to break the rules on here ;)

• tsmith2579
    15 years ago

Please keep us updated with the results. Personally, I am a SuperThrive believer. I believe it should be renamed Lazarus Potion.

I agree with gatormomx2 that it would be easier to read your posts with proper punctuation.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    15 years ago

Actually, the punctuation is correct. It's the fact that our friend won't use capital letters that makes his/her posts so annoying.

Rather than taking (only) oneself into consideration by posting in such a manner, the writer should always take into account the READER.

My personal experiments with Superthrive have revealed nothing of interest. The company keeps sending me samples, though.

• aesir22
    Original Author
    15 years ago

wow, never thought people would be so overly critical of something as insignificant as a few capital letters on a post. i even try to make light of it and i still get kicked in the face.

• silica
    15 years ago

If you want my opinion on Superthrive, you are wasting your money with that product. Diet Pepsi will work better.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    15 years ago

you're not being kicked in the face.it's just that your audience expects to be treated with the same kind of consideration that you expect from us.that's all.when we don't seem to receive that,you become something of a target.you seem to have a valid interest in superthrive and wish to share your 'experiment' with us.but it's difficult for some of us to take you seriously.that's all.

• buzzsaw8
    15 years ago

Cool idea, I'm interested in seeing the results.

As far as the grammar police, get a life, this is the internet not a college thesis. I moderate a site with over 10,000 members and there's lawyers, physicians, etc. and most write their posts just like the one above. It's all personal preference. Maybe you guys are just too old ;-)

• birdsnblooms
    15 years ago

Hey Dan,
    I too am interested in your experiment, of course, and quite curious of the final results. :)

It's been a good number of years since 'playing' with citrus seeds, therefore I can't recall germination time. Would you happen to know?

Dan, is your experiement being done to find which group germinates faster, and/or the health of the plant after sprouting? Or, to see if ST works? LOL

As you know, I am a firm believer of ST, but I'm also the first to admit the cardboard affixed to the bottle has quite a bit of writing. 'Kinda' reminds me of a gang-bangers' dream-wall of graffiti. lol Takes 20-20 vision, but it's not impossible.
    But the cardboard is insignifcant, what's inside the bottle, is important.
    ST's website has readable information for those who want to know the length of time it's been around, which agencies use it, and how it be applied: Such as dossage and frequency.

The reason I mentioned the package is, although instructions detail how it improves the health of plants, be it seedlings or mature, it doesn't indicate whether or not seeds dunked in ST will make a difference. But, I'm assuming the group (seeds) soaked in ST are the same being watered with Superthrive. Right?
    Dan, you may be onto something.. lol

I'm certain many will be interested in the outcome, especially the skeptics. Then again, if your seeds watered w/ST grew 10' in a week, someone would come up with an explanation how it occurred, 'Hypothetically speaking of course..he** I'd be amazed,'
    like, the sun was nearer your window the week your seeds germinated and grew, and filtered moonlight magnified your semi-gloss, white paint causing the soil to heat to a maximum of 85F, while your toilet water increased humidity to 95%, but ST had Nothing to do with it.

Dan, keep us posted on your progress..Good luck, Toni

PS. I assure you, .?! and ABC will not influence plants to germinate.

• aesir22
    Original Author
    15 years ago

lol several amusing posts.

it is the growth in general i want to test with the superthrive. everything from does it make them germinate faster to the effect it has on mature leaves, blooms and fruit. as well as general growth. it will be a pretty long experiment! nothing come up as yet, but its very early days. i just got some flying dragon seeds, so im going to do the same with those :)

the grammar police...i like it lol. and for the record, saying things like 'you become somewhat of a target' and 'its hard for us to take you seriously' seems a little extreme just for missing out some apostrophes and capital letters. im a writer as well as working my day job, so i know enough about punctuation to 'be taken seriously' but on forums and other laid back environments, i am more informal and just type as i think. if you do find my posts hard to read, don't read them. im not been harsh, but its the topic thats important, not how its presented.

i also like the diet pepsi comment lol. could be worth seeing how that would make a difference! hear some people say they use tea and coffee!

• frank1965
    15 years ago

Nothing really magic about ST- except that label! Buried somewhere on that label it says that it contains naphthaleneacetic acid (NAA)the other most common rooting hormone besides IBA. I use it and and feel that it aids the root growth tremendously. Funny thing is that NAA and IBA are the active ingredients in Dip'n Grow and nobody seems to endlessly debate their effects. These chemicals have been around for eons and are used everyday by plant people. Chances are if you have ever bought a plant grown from a cutting it has been treated with one or both of them.

• tsmith2579
    15 years ago

welliamasuperthrivebelieverivehadtoomanyexperienceswherea plantappearedtobedeadandiveusedsuperthriveanditseemstowork icantspeakforanyoneelseexceptiknowsomefolksthinkitissnakeoilpleaseletusknowtheresultsofyourexperimentbtwhathasagegottodowithyourlackof usinguppercaseicritiqueallcorrespondencewhichoriginatesou tofmyteamsofficeifyoumaketoomanyerrorsitmayaffectraises!.?

• aesir22
    Original Author
    15 years ago

which is why im so pleased we arent in a formal environment lol as i said before, im a writer in my free time, and i manage a pharmacy for a living, so everything i write is letter perfect - it has to be or people will take their medications wrong from reading the meds labels. i like being able to free type in places like this :) i'm also glad to get a superthrive believer post here - i have heard a lot of negative in the past, its good to balance it with some positive feedback!

as for the effectiveness of superthrive...a lot of the seeds in the mandarin experiment succumbed to rot, so that will be invalid, but i have the same experiment going on with flying dragon seeds at the moment. a bit of evidence in favour of superthrive...and i am just posting what happened, i am sorry if you dont like superthrive or if you think it had nothing to do with it...i used it with one of my grape plants. well, it used to be a grape plant. i bought it when it was about two and a half foot tall. through neglect (i felt so bad when i remembered i had forgotten about it!) it was almost dead. i had to cut down to a two inch stick just to find green. thats all, two inches of half dead wood poking up from the soil. i held next to no hope, but i thought i would give it a chance. it sat like that for about a month, then got two of the tiniest buds on the side. they did nothing for about a week. i thought what the hell, and i watered with some superthrive, and in less than a week, it looked like the pic i have posted below. i know some will say it was superthrive, and others will have an explanation that it was going to burst into life anyway. i am just letting you know my findings :)

i know superthrive is something of a delicate subject in gardening forums, but i really do like hearing feedback on it, the good and the bad :)

here is the the pic. its off photo bucket and im not quite sure which code to post so ill post them both!

[IMG]http://i519.photobucket.com/albums/u355/aesir_reiki/Picture0056.jpg[/IMG]
    http://i519.photobucket.com/albums/u355/aesir_reiki/Picture0056.jpg

• aesir22
    Original Author
    15 years ago

oops maybe it was this one lol

{{gwi:125079}}

• birdsnblooms
    15 years ago

TSmith...ivillageshouldmakeitmandatoryforalltotypeusinglowercaserepliestothreadsthereforethephraseweareallcreatedequalwillbemeaningful

Frank, is Dip'n Grow a rooting hormone like Root Tone? Is its main use for cuttings or can it be added to soil for general health, roots and growth. Aside from 50 vitamins, ST contains hormones.
    It's possible Dip'n Grow isn't discussed because of lack of publicity.
    I'm not saying it doesn't work, but to be honest, I've never heard the name before reading your post. :)
    Super Thrive has been around many years. Its ads, at one time, were posted in the newspaper, especially in Sundays, and various magazines. I discoverd it via the paper, gave it a try, (more than once) deemed it one of the best products since sliced bread.

I wouldn't use Cola in soil or on leaves..all it'd do is attract ants. If one wants an ant farm, use Cola. Which would work better..Pepsi or Coke? Hmmm. How about RC?
    Tea and coffee are used to acidify soil. The tea and coffee topic is yet another controversial debate amongst GW'ers..

Aesir22. Great job!! Your grape rose from the dead, thanks go your effort AND Superthrive.
    No one can convince me otherwise. Not only did your grape resume health, but just look at the foliage!
    I am not so narrow-minded to say your grape wouldn't have survived if you hadn't used ST, but there's no way in he** it'd look as healthy as it does if you hadn't. Sorry, I don't mean its beauty is not your doing..but because I have gone through similar situations with stick-like plants, that was all the proof needed.
    In 1989, I purchased a plant from a non-plant-related store. Carol Wright Gifts. They shipped out a small, 4" stick they labeled a plant. It sat in a south window, a little over a year, barely alive. In 1990, I was going to toss it, but didn't have the heart. The first thing I did was ST. Within a wk or two, that little stick produced a leaf. I couldn't even ID the it. The following week, a few more leaves emerged. After 3 months of ST, it grew..Zoom!
    Here's the plant 19 years later, this pic was taken last week. It's not the best photo, but I don't feel like snapping another..lol. BTW, the plant is Stephonotis/The Wedding Plant..it's the plant to the right of the pic.

Want to add, I did another experiement in early spring with bare-root Euphorbia, Crown of Thorns and Adenium, Desert Roses. Those that were ST'ed, were the first to sprout leaves. All were kept in the same south window, none yet given fertilizers..(it was too early in the year to fert succulents.) Again, proof.

Keep us posted on your grapes..Toni

{{gwi:81153}}

• citrusenthusiast
    15 years ago

Posted by aesir22 (My Page) on Sun, Sep 28, 08 at 6:06
    which is why im so pleased we arent in a formal environment lol as i said before, im a writer in my free time, and i manage a pharmacy for a living, so everything i write is letter perfect - it has to be or people will take their medications wrong from reading the meds labels.

That is exactly the point of others here. Without correct punctuation it makes it more difficult to read.

• aesir22
    Original Author
    15 years ago

i dont think 'difficult' is the right word. but as i said, there is a diff between formal and informal environments. if everything had to be perfect, there would be no abbreviations, no words like 'lol,' there would be two spaces after every full stop, people would be more careful about adding apostrophes to s'. there would be no :) or :( i could have said gatormom used incorrect punctuation as well when she put a space between her words and her ! and ?

and like i said before, it seems a major over-reaction to say i become a target, and i cant be taken seriously...because of some punctuation! i see so many incorrect sentences on here, only half complete, that its a wonder they make sense. but its only a few words on a screen. its fair enough if some people dont like the lack of perfection, but its the content that should take precedence, not how it is written.

probably best if we keep this thread to the superthrive subject as was intended. some people arent going to like the lack of perfection, and im not going to bend over backwards to conform with something so minor.

so on that note...superthrive - anyone got any input on how effective they think it is? i would be interested in hearing opinions for and against, and if anyone thinks the grape may have sprung into life for any other reasons :)

• birdsnblooms
    15 years ago

Come on, people, was Aesir's post really unreadable? :)
    I don't want to argue the issue. There are way too many problems in the world as it is, so bickering about the use or misuse of a period, comma, or mis-capping (made up word)a Proper noun makes no difference.

I visit various GW forums, and believe me, if you truly believe Aesir's thread is incomprhensible, apparently you're unaware of threads that look like they were written by a 1st grader.

Eg.

HELLO DOES ANYONE HAVE A PLANT THEY COULD SPARE 4 FREE. IM NEW WITH PLANTS SO DONT HAVE NONE TO TRADE I DONT HAVE MONEY TO BUY A PLANT AND CANT DRIVE INTO TOWN...candystripe

whY is mi plan t diein'. itS green and leeves our rOund. what is it. plz tell my it's name thank u...poopedupe

i Have a plant please tel me what it iz. its Dying iM scared. whats rong with It...iluvgreens

plz tell me thisplant. its green and wite. you we r so smart i love this gardenWeb. hightimes

The above statements are a product of the author's imagination. Names were changed to protect the innocent.

So, chill GW'ers. No need for debate. I believe the problem isn't a matter of grammar, but the topic, which happens to be about Superthrive.

Aesir22's object was originally based on experimentation. He/she also wanted to discuss (not debate) pros and cons. Why one objected or preferred to use Superthrive.

Because one deems ST a snake oil, a waste of money, is no reason to insult a person.
    Whether one wants to believe this or not, a GW thread/post isn't an English essay, nor is it a resume, written with perfection.

Thank you for listening. Toni, a firm-believer in ST.

• birdsnblooms
    15 years ago

Come on, people, was Aesir's post really unreadable? :)
    I don't want to argue the issue. There are way too many problems in the world as it is, so bickering about the use or misuse of a period, comma, or mis-capping (made up word)a Proper noun makes no difference.

I visit various GW forums, and believe me, if you truly believe Aesir's thread is incomprhensible, apparently you're unaware of threads that look like they were written by a 1st grader.

Eg.

HELLO DOES ANYONE HAVE A PLANT THEY COULD SPARE 4 FREE. IM NEW WITH PLANTS SO DONT HAVE NONE TO TRADE I DONT HAVE MONEY TO BUY A PLANT AND CANT DRIVE INTO TOWN...candystripe

whY is mi plan t diein'. itS green and leeves our rOund. what is it. plz tell my it's name thank u...poopedupe

i Have a plant please tel me what it iz. its Dying iM scared. whats rong with It...iluvgreens

plz tell me thisplant. its green and wite. you we r so smart i love this gardenWeb. hightimes

The above statements are a product of the author's imagination. Names were changed to protect the innocent.

So, chill GW'ers. No need for debate. I believe the problem isn't a matter of grammar, but the topic, which happens to be about Superthrive.

Aesir22's object was originally based on experimentation. He/she also wanted to discuss (not debate) pros and cons. Why one objected or preferred to use Superthrive.

Because one deems ST a snake oil, a waste of money, is no reason to insult a person.
    Whether one wants to believe this or not, a GW thread/post isn't an English essay, nor is it a resume, written with perfection.

Thank you for listening. Toni, a firm-believer in ST.

• aesir22
    Original Author
    15 years ago

well, so far only one of the seeds has started to pop up. seven rotted. that leaves two! the one that sprouted was a superthrive one, but thats far too much of a stretch! since 3 of the other superthrive ones rotted lol. its a failed experiment with the mandarin, so i am continuing it with the flying dragon seeds i bought :)

i accidentally bought another lime tree. i only went in to buy some winter fertilizer! dam lol

• birdsnblooms
    15 years ago

Aesir, what's going on with your seeds; why are they rotting? Are/were they in soil or water?

Seeds will rot if left in water too long. If they're in soil, perhaps you're using the wrong kind. (Too heavy?) (I once left Morning Glory seeds in water for 3 days. After day 3, seeds had fuzz growing. They ended up in the trash.)

There are different seed starter soils, plus Peat Pellets, (my favorite.) Pellets are tiny disks..set pellets in warm water about 10 minutes...they expand...seed is inserted in a tiny hole on the top of pellet.
    Line up expanded pellets in a tray, then bottom water with ST. Trays are sold with plastic tops..Set plastic on top, (for warmth and humidity) until seedlings/growth are 1-2"+, then remove plastic..Place seedlings in bright light.
    2 years ago, Home Depot sold similar trays. The set contained two plastic trays, plastic top/dome and a heating cable..cable is stored between trays. (plug in)
    Warmth prompts germination. I only bought one tray, considering it was 24.00 or so. And that was a sale!!
    I don't know if plain, old-fashioned heating cables are still available, you'd have to do a search. They're basic, wire cables that fit inside a tray. Heat speeds up (seed)germination and rooting cuttings.
    If heating cables are still around, make your own trays, and save $$.. :)

You 'accidently' bought a lime tree? LOL Isn't it amazing plants 'accidently' jump in our carts when shopping?? Go in for one item and come out with 5. It must be catching, cause the same thing happens to me. LOL
    What's its size? Is it grafted? Ohh, how exciting!!! Will you repot or wait until spring? Was it bought from a green house or enclosed store? Congrats, Aesir...If you can, please post a picture..Toni

• puglvr1
    15 years ago

Aesir,

Since you asked for info ,here is a link from a while back from the Houseplants forum about Superthrive...no offense to anyone that uses it and have seen great results...I am a firm believer that if it works for you, then by all means use it.If it doesn't then move on and find something else that works, that's all I'm saying. IMHO

Hi Toni, could you please take a look at a picture of a bug? on some of my jade leaves that I posted on your post at the C&S forum "Jade (Crassula) Tree, potting" Thanks, I need help with the ID of the bug and possible treatment...its towards the last post...

Here is a link that might be useful: Do you Superthrive? From the Houseplants forum

• aesir22
    Original Author
    15 years ago

its just the seven mandarin ones that went dodgy. i had soaked them overnight, maybe they didnt like this lol. i used a seed/cutting mix with added perlite and small bark chips. they were placed in the cupboard with the boiler, where the temp is about 80F-85F. i have a heated germination propagator, but am using that at the moment for meyer lemon, flying dragon and grapefruit seedlings. i think it was the soaking overnight that annoyed the mandarin oh well! i have just bought some eureka lemons to try out too :)

i wouldnt get too excited about my lime tree lol. i emailed you a few days ago saying citrus were hard to get in north england, and expensive to boot. add on that the garden center knows absolutely nothing about citrus or how to care for them and you have a pretty poor tree lol. it was in a completely bone dry, peat compost with roots popping out of the top. it was attached to a tiny trellis frame and had wires digging into the stems and leaves. so, i took it off the trellis, repotted it in better mix with a dose of superthrive (:D) and am about to sponge the leaves down because theyre covered in the usual residue from the center! it has two little limes on it. always in the past i have removed fruit when buying citrus so they focus more on foliage, but im going to leave these two limes on :) theyre on the left of this picture, if i remember how i took it lol, though may be hidden by a cluster of leaves! i have put it near my other lime tree to show it how pretty fruit is and make it jealous to grow ;) It is grafted, yes, and its about a foot and a half tall :)

thanks for the link, puglvr1 :) like i said, i like to see views from both sides of the superthrive fence! a few more months of trying things out and i may be able to settle on a side. depends how quickly things grow from seed!

forgive the poor pic. its nighttime here, and the hallways is the place with the best light for taking a pic! will take a better one tomorrow toni :)

{{gwi:623366}}

• birdsnblooms
    15 years ago

Pug, I went to the other forum; it took 1 min to dl..lol
    The 'stuff' on your jade doesn't necessarily look like scale, but some are odd shaped, all aren't round/oval, so it's hard to tell by the picture.
    Can they be scraped off? Do you see movement?
    When scale die, their shell is left behind, on a leaf and between leaf joints..shells are hollow.
    Does plant feel sticky? Leaf damage?
    First, isolate Jade..those sap-suckers will attach to neighboring plants. While you're at it, inspect all your plants.
    Take action. ASAP. They multiply like rabbits. Let me know if you think these critters are scale..
    You know what I use to rid them.
    Some people pluck each shell, others dab rubbing alcohol on the shells..the only problem is, the 'crawlers'(babies) are free to roam..So spotting rubbing alcohol will not cure the problem.
    Let me know how it works..sorry it took so long to reply.

Pug, as for Superthrive, I feel the same way you do. For those of us who believe it works, fine, for those who believe it's a way for the manufacturer to make an easy buck, that's fine, too.
    When the subject is brought up, because my plants improved heatlh, flowered, etc, it's natural to speak up.
    Also, there are people who have never heard of ST. I feel, they should be made aware. Then, after using, they can decide for themselves.
    There are other products on the market people swear have done wonders with their plants. I feel these products should be mentioned, too. Messenger is one example. I've never bought it, mainly because its price doesn't coincide with my budget..There's a fertilizer called V something or other that's supposed to work great..There are sprays for citrus, succulents, tropicals, etc..Some work, others ARE snake oils. My point is, deciding whether a product works or not should be decided by the grower. Especially newbies.
    ST offers a sample bottle for .60..at least this offer was available, at that price, when I last visited. .60 isn't going to bankrupt anyone. If someone is interested in trying it, they can order the sample bottle as an experiment. At least they can make up their own mind.

Aesir, before viewing your picture, I was expecting to see a half-dead, skimpy citrus, but hey, your tree looks good. Leaves are deep green, plant is compact..Wonder why they used a trellis though???

I haven't any idea why your seeds didn't make it. I mentioned an older plant book called, Starting from Scratch. It exlains, sowing seeds from grocery-store fruit should be started. If you're interested, I'll type out the instructions.
    It's possible the seeds were old. Old seeds won't geriminate.
    I have birds. Its said to test seeds for freshness by placing a handful or so in soil. If they sprout, seeds are fresh, if not, it's time to purchase a different brand.

It's a waste of time sowing seeds from old fruit..Ever see an out-of-date orange or tangerine? Peels are hard and dry. They taste awful. Meat is sour.
    If you decide to sow mandarin seeds again, pick fresh fruit.
    When you have time, post pics..Toni

• aesir22
    Original Author
    15 years ago

well, to any who were looking for results with the superthrive test, results have to be called 'inconclusive.' there is no evidence for or against - mainly because only 3 germinated - the rest rotted. the three that DID germinate were from the superthrive group, but again, can't really call those usable results! the experiment continues, however, with the flying dragon seeds i am waiting to germinate.

toni, the seeds were from fresh fruit, but i think they just didnt like being soaked overnight. i have since just clipped the edge of the seed coat with recent seedlings and soaked for an hour before planting so they don't drown.

as for the lime, they used a trellis to save space i think. the trees they sell would be 2 or 3 times larger if they just let them grow, but they keep them on small tables crammed together, so i think they fashion them to little trellis' for the sake of saving space. they dont seem to care that they are growing them downwards and horizontal. strange...

the lime tree above is not grafted, and is not a seedling. does that make it a rooted cutting or are there other methods of propagation?

• birdsnblooms
    15 years ago

Aesir, that's too bad about the seeds. An hour or two should be enough time to soak seeds.
    Large seeds like Morning Glory need a 24 hour soaking, but its shell is quite large.
    I think the only time citrus seed needs soaking is if one can't sow after they're removed from fruit.

Stores cram plants all the time. Home Depot once got in several Passionvines..there must have been 30. They were loaded with beautiful flowers. I don't know how they expected anyone to pick one without making a mess. HD's notorium for craming plants, especially larger trees.

I've never seen a citrus on a trellis though, lol. There's a plant called Solandra, spelling is incorrect, that looks a lot like citrus. Its leaves are almost identical. As they mature, they vine and need a trellis. Is it possible the 'citrus' are Solandra? lol Toni

• starloc
    15 years ago

A lot of citrus in the uk are sold as ornamental citrus imported from italy, they sell them as houseplants to look good on a trellis, its quite normal in italy to see larger plants outdoors growing on walls like a vine, they just make miniature ones of them for in the house

Mini trellis plants are an easy way of making them all have fruit on when you buy them and making them look larger as the plants are often too small to be shipped with fruit without a trellis the branches would snap, fruit is on the plant to sell the plant and is often imported with the fruit almost ripe ready for sale for a quick turnaround of stock

• meyermike_1micha
    15 years ago

WHAT A BEAUTIFUL DAY IT IS TODAY!!!! 70 I could SUPERTHRIVE on this weather anyday!!!!!!!!

• birdsnblooms
    15 years ago

Starlock, are you talking about Espaliers? I forgot about growing citrus in that fashion. Thanks for mentioning it..for some reason, people don't talk about espaliering anymore. A few years ago, some tried it, but they haven't been around, so I don't know if it was successful or not.
    Thanks again.

Mike you sound SO happy today...:) 70 IS nice for Oct..too bad it doesn't stay so warm all winter, huh? Can you imagine all the plants we'd be able to keep outdoors 12 months per year??!! Happy Superthriving! Toni

• cnmicitrusfan1
    15 years ago

Oh, can I brag about my 12 month growing season here in tropical Saipan? (Saipan is part of CNMI, a US territory about 100 miles north of Guam, and 15 degrees above the equator.) Na, I'm not really the bragging type, so I won't mention that I don't have to use any special heating propagation wires, because It's 85 degrees outside every day. (I also won't mention my drop dead gorgeous view of the ocean from my rental house.) So, just disregard this post.

• meyermike_1micha
    15 years ago

SO WHEN ARE YOU INVITING US OVER??? Now I needed a good laugh!!!! Live happy there cnmicitrusfan1, and I can live in misery here!
    They say the happiest people in the world live on those Islands...Wonder why? Probably the happiest citrus trees too...lol

• birdsnblooms
    15 years ago

Cn, it's true you have 85F daily, but you also have something I can live without..HUGE bugs.. humongous Spiders, and God knows what other types..I can live without insects. LOL
    But truthfully, Cn, you're lucky..it'd be great keeping plants outside year round, watching them grow, before your eyes..
    I know a guy who went to Viet Nam..He went on about banana trees..the tops were chopped off, within a day or two, the banana would be the same size it was before cutting.

Mike, should we go visit Cn this winter? As guests..lol.
    Mike have you any plants outside? Did you bring citrus back out when temps warmed up? lol. It's been in the 80's, nights 70's..Supposed to be a little cooler tomorrow, then drop, high 40's-60 from Wed on. I brought remaining citrus in today..Still have about 15-20 plants that need to come in..3 Gardenias, 2 Christmas Cactus, 1 Easter Cactus, Azalea, 2 different type Prickly Pears, geraniums, Plumosia Fern, variegated ivy, 8' variegated yucca, 4 1/2' Screw Pine, and a few others..oh I do have one dwarf citrus out front...It doesn't do anything..I can't grow drwaf citrus..a gift from my brother 4 summers ago.

Mike, who wouldn't be happy waking each day to sunshine? lol. I wonder if anyone ever did a study or survey..For instance, are Anti-depressants used more by people in cold climates or warm? I have SADS, so once late autumn comes, I feel blue..Especially day after day of gray skys and cold temps. Thank God for plants, they keep me going.
    Trying to replicate temps, humidity, air, especially when one grows tropicals and succulents..lol. is a chore.

I hope everyone is well.

Hey, where is Aesir? I haven't seen hide nor hair. I wonder how his/her seeds are doing.

Oh the other day, I was cleaning, tossing out this and that. I came across a cd someone from GW sent on grafting. I viewed it once before, but still can't figure how it's done..But, the thing is, inside the package were a bunch of citrus seeds..2 yrs old..lol..poor seeds were dried. I know they won't germinate, but planted them in a terrarium w/odds and ends. Think they'll germinate..NOT! lol
    Have a great wk, Toni

• aesir22
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi, I'm still here :) I visit every day, and post in a few threads, but have been manic with work lately, barely have time to sleep it sucks lol.

The seeds are really well. I have about 2 dozen on the go now, about 10 in total haven't made it, but I'm ok with those odds :)

My lime tree is starting to bloom, which was a bit of a surprise. I expected more foliage before flowers, but I'm not complaining :)

The grape mentioned above has grown too since that pic. About three or four times bigger now! It must be hard as nails - it doesn't seem to care that winter is approaching and its cold outside, it so defiant :) When it comes to freezing temps its going in the outhouse. I don't want to risk destroying the new growth!

I'm still waiting for the flying dragon seeds to pop up - if they do. They were bought online and we sent dry, and all the problems that entails! Will give them longer though, give them a fighting chance :)

I'm using the winter as a stratification period for a few peach pits I have ready to plant. Hopefully will see signs of life in the new year once they've been in the cold for two or three months! They fruit in 3-5 years apparently, which is just like my mandarin seeds :) will have quite a fruit cocktail!

I will be posting a pic of my little calamondin soon. It was the first citrus I bought, a tiny thing that only had a couple of stems and a handful of leaves. It since flowered and has produced a little fruit. Just one! Its so cute, and yellow now so approaching ripe! I'm so proud - I know everyone else out there gets loads of fruit every year, but this is my first year with citrus, and the first fruit that has grown from scratch in my care :D I am going to plant any seeds from the fruit and grow the babies!

Anyway, sorry for being quiet! Will post a pic of the grape when I have a chance to take one, maybe this evening. Perhaps evidence that there is something to superthrive, that it has grown so much at such an unusual time....

• aesir22
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well, here is a pic of the grape. I have posted three images. One was from two weeks ago that I posted previously, the other two I just took today. Even odder, It has little clusters of fruit starting to grow on it! Hope thats normal lol. The SuperThrive doesn't seem to have hurt the little thing, considering not long back it was just a stick :)

About 16 days ago:

{{gwi:125079}}

Today:

{{gwi:125080}}

Today, different angle:

{{gwi:125081}}

• birdsnblooms
    15 years ago

Here you are, Aesir,
    Your grape is doing fine. Are fruits growing nearest the ends of branches? I see something but it's hard to make out. Amazing.. Is your plant kept in or outdoors?
    Poor grape doesn't know its autumn..lol
    Would you happen to know if this variety is evergreen or deciduous? Green or purple?
    I know little about grapes, other then they're vines, foliage sprouts in spring, fruit form in mid-summer, plucked and eaten in autumn, unless wildlife gets them first. :)
    Since grapes go dormant this time of year, do we give credit to ST for its new growth?
    Aesir, if your grape stops growing, or foliage dies, don't blame yourself. Perhaps you should research, The Life of Grapes.
    Grapes are unlike citrus. Know what I mean?

The peach experiment should be interesting. Do you sow the whole pit or break open? Maybe you should try plums, too. lol.
    Next time I go grocery shopping, I'm going to buy a few peaches and plums, then sow seeds. IF they germinate, do they reqiire a cold period?
    I imagine seeds and seedlings need warmth, to start.

Fruit cocktial..did you ever see a Fruit Cocktail tree? There
    s a couple types..One with 3 or 4 varieties of citrus, the other bearing red, green and yellow apples.
    A few ppl here on GW said they had citrus Fruit Cocktails trees. It'd be one interesting plant.
    Don't want to mention the nursery's name, but a few yrs ago I ordered a citrus Fruit Cocktail..The picture of this tree, on their website and catalog, displayed a mature specimen. I placed an order, didn't expect much considering it was only 19.99. Boy, what a rip off! They sent 4, 5" limp seedlings. All died..Never again.

Please post your Calamondin photos. It's ironic how citrus produce fruit even though plant has few leaves. I've seen it before..don't know why it happens, other than citrus might not be getting the right fertlizer.
    Is your calamondin grafted? Tree or bush?

Regarding seeds, one thing I was told is they have to be fresh. A MUST. I posted a seed question on another forum and was told, seeds shouldn't be older than 3-4 months.
    When we purchase seeds from nurseries, we have no idea the length of time they'd been sitting around.
    Garden seed packets have an expiration date, but I've never seen a date on tropical/succulent seeds packs.

Good luck, Aesir, and keep us posted..Toni

• aesir22
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hey Toni :)

Don't know an awful lot about the grape tree. It grows purple berries. Not sure if its deciduous. It has clusters all along the stem, not just at the end of the branches. Have been on a few fruit or grape forums and getting some good info so far. When it starts to dip to freezing, it's going in the outhouse. The growth wil be too tender to survive otherwise. Am excited by it though, really love it :)

I had considered several possibilities with the peach pits. I am going to plant six I think, three straight into potting mix and left on the windowsill. They do require stratification apparently, though some say they managed without, so I am going to pot up the other three and put the pots outside until new year. I was going to break the pit to get the seeds beneath, but the cold of winter does that for you, and the seeds within are apparently quite delicate so breaking them would be dangerous. They need 2-3 months of cooling in the fridge or outside to convince the seeds they have gone through winter and are arriving in spring. Once germinated they need good light, and do well in containers. They grow to around 5-6 foot in containers I have been told, depending on the pot size they would be bigger or smaller, and fruit in around 4-6 years.

I have heard of the fruit cocktail trees, but not seen one in real life. I'm not sure I would like one lol, a bit fancy for me, I'm a plain kinda guy haha

The calamondin...It isn't grafted or a seedling...to my knowledge its a rooted cutting. It's quite small, but the fruit seems to be doing fine, and it has had plenty of foliage growth since I got it :) My tahiti lime is also starting to flower, quite a bit, but not the bad flowering due to ultimate stress and trying to pass genetics on lol. Half a dozen clusters or so I would say. I think it's because we had a cold, murky, rainy august, then a mild, sunny september. It tricked itself into thinking it was coming up to summer :)

Not sure how old the dragon seeds were. If even one sprouts I would be happy...I really really want a flying dragon plant!!

• cnmicitrusfan1
    15 years ago

Yes we have bugs. I saw a really cute gigantic cockroach the other day. He was so cute, I called my husband to come get a closer look at him, while I stood on a ladder and screamed my admiration for him from afar. Oh yeah, and we have rats-- lots of them. When I'm bored, I sit and watch them play in my neighbor's yard. The rats here are cuter than the nasty mean looking ones in the states. But, we've also got the OCEAN right outside my window-- I'd post a photo of my ocean view to make you all jealous, if I could figure out how.

As for guests-- You are welcome to stay on my couch for the a slight fee. All you have to do is smuggle a small dwarf grafted citrus tree in your luggage for me. (If customs discovers it, I don't know you.) Oh, yeah and you have to take my family of six out to eat every night that you are here. (We like the Hilton's evening buffet) I hate cooking here-- it's too hot. That's all... Oh yeah, and you'll have to take cold showers. The landlord hasn't fixed the hot water heater.

• puglvr1
    15 years ago

Hi Cn,

Wow!! What a small world...I lived in Guam for 6 years when I very young, many years ago...I know where Saipan is, but never quite made it there. My sister went there for a short vacation though. Yes the weather is perfect for tropical fruits, Mangos (my absolute favorite fruit)!!

Half the island(Guam) was military, so you can literally go around the island in like 6 hours, LOL. I loved their food. I remember one in particular called Chicken Kelaquin(sp)? Very spicy but delicious...Ah, fun times...

Cn, thanks for a little trip down memory lane!