Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kippy_the_hippy

Grapefruit

Kippy
9 years ago

As it turns out the key lime with the odd leaves that has done little the past two and a half years has finally put on fruit. It have been watching that tree since it has had such odd leaves, seemed to need extra care and did so little growing. I kept thinking something is wrong with this plant and checking the graft etc

Well I know the problem now. Those are no Key Limes. It is a grapefruit i think. Since we have 2 already I am hoping I am wrong. It has big winged leaves and came from Costco. Any one else get anything similar?

Comments (8)

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    9 years ago

Trees can be mismarked, Kippy, it happens :-) Most of the trees at Costco came from Willets & Newcomb. If you see pain daubs on the trunk, I would try emailing W&N, give then the colors in order (let them know what color is on top and what is beneath), and they can tell you both rootstock and cultivar scion. Most commercial growers color code their cultivars and rootstock :-) If you can post up photos, we might be able to tell you if this is a grapefruit, a pummelo or a hybrid of one of the two. Your most likely cultivars are probably going to be Rio Red grapefruit, Cocktail pummelo hybrid, or Oro Blanco or Melogold grapefruit hybrids. And, those winge petioles should have clued you to this not being a Mexican (Key) lime, as they do not have winged petioles, but have small, serrated leaves. Rather distinct.

Patty S.

This post was edited by hoosierquilt on Wed, Sep 24, 14 at 12:09

• Kippy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Patty, you are right about the leaves but I was hoping the were just odd baby leaves since it has held them so long. I see a friends Key Lime regularly so I knew something was wrong.

I does have white on white for the color bands so I will email and see what I have lol

9 years ago

Good luck, and let us know what it ends up being :-)

Patty S.

• Kippy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

White over white is a Melogold grapefruit per WN

Any one grow this one?

• gregbradley
    9 years ago

I bought a nice looking WN Melogold from Costco early this year and potted it then. It has grown about 25% larger and looks very nice. The only other WN citrus I have is an Ortanique Tangor also bought from Costco about the same time and potted right away. It has done about the same. They are also both very attractive trees.

I mostly bare rooted them and planted them in pots in different modifications to Gritty Mix. I'm really happy with WN and intend to tell them so when I get a chance. There are no other places that carry WN citrus in my area.

The Melogold looks quite different from my Durling Oro Blanco. No fruit yet from either, of course.

9 years ago

Love it. Delicious. A "cousin" to Oroblanco, and I think a teeny bit better. Thinner skinned, juicier, and a little sweeter. Lacks the "dimple" on the bottom side, like the Oroblanco - the one way to distinguish the fruits apart. My very favorite grapefruit hybrid. And the folks at W&N are wonderful. They grow a very high quality product, and they have a few unusual cultivars, despite probably not being the most profitable thing to do these days. But, it sure does make us hobbyist growers very happy :-)

Patty S.

• Kippy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Patty, I was so sad that our local Costco did not stock any of their trees this spring. I sure hope they do next year and that people will post when their Costco has them. It hard to look at some of the trees out there in comparison.

My guess is the tag mix up was done in store by a customer not the nursery

9 years ago

Kippy, I let my two Costco managers know how disappointed I was, that they made the decision not to stock W&N citrus trees 2 years ago. And, I told him I was speaking for all the CRFG members as well, and if they would buy W&N trees, AND buy rarer cultivars (I gave him a list), we would come in and "clean him out". They did, we did, and everyone ended up being a winner, including W&N! And yes, I am guessing this was the case, as W&N are very careful, and know their stock well, since they color code. You're going to love your Melogold, it is just fantastic, and I'm not a straight grapefruit fan (a little too tart for me). Melogold is sweet with just enough grapefruit tartness to be interesting, and very juicy. It makes outstanding juice, just love it.

Patty S.