Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Flushing salts

Posted by carmellia z 4 Minn (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 21, 12 at 12:11

I have always assumed that because I water with only rain water in the summer and melted snow in the winter I would not have any built up salts. Now that I know that the magnesium sulfate is actually Epsom Salts, I am wondering if that is the salt that can build up. I have a variagated lemon and a Calamondon orange in pots. The Calamondon is currently putting out a bumper crop of buds, but it does have a very yellow tint to the green of the leaves. Do you think it is getting too much salt? The lemon looks very health, but it has never set fruit (4 years). Does the lemon need a second plant for cross polination? Hmmm, that is a lot of questions, isnt it? Well, if you know the answer to one or any of them, I would sincerely appreciate your advice.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Flushing salts

• Posted by Nic1 none (My Page) on
    Fri, Sep 21, 12 at 12:23

If it's the meyer lemon or any other dwarf variety I'm pretty sure it doesn't need a second plant. I've read online that if left outside it'll get pollinated and if left inside it might even pollinate fine just from it's own pollen floating in the air if a fan is running; however it's recommended to take a cotton swab or paint brush or something and pollinate it yourself.

As for the salt question I'm curious about that too.

o

Typically the sign of salt build up, also knows as salt toxicity shows up as "burn" on the tips of leaves first. Normally it is fairly uniform, meaning new and older growth is effected the same. Just because you water with rain or snow melt will not mean you are forever free from salt buildup. What I and most others do when we water our container trees is allow about 10-20% runoff. This practice generally prevents salt buildup. However, by your description, it is possible your tree is lacking nitrogen - the yellow/green color is the indication. To be sure we will need a photo. The lemon will not need a second plant for pollination it will flower and fruit in time. Variegated Eureka is notoriously weak and non vigorous this tree will probably just take much more time then the much more vigorous calamondin (you have one of the slowest growing citrus right next to one of the fastest growing citrus, not good to compare) Again, post a photo more more feedback.

o

Either I am confused by what you mean or you're confused by what 'salts' mean. lolol

When we speak of flushing 'salts' from our containers, we do not mean salt as in table salt, sodium chloride. We are not speaking of road salt.

Soluble fertilizers are salts and improper watering can cause them to accumulate. Even our water can be a source of salts, such as sodium, calcium, and magnesium. Many potting mediums have a too high level of soluble salts and leaching a new batch before using it for planting is a good idea.

We really can't avoid using these fertilizer salts, but by adequate flushing of the soil system, we can certainly prevent damaging build up. Offering our plants little sips of water, never drenching the heck out of them, and feeling obligated to add 'something' each and every time you water can all create a build up of these salts.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here