Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cognackid

Missing orange tree bark

cognackid
11 years ago

Hi,

I am fairly new to citrus growing but have a few mature trees and a number of immature trees all in containers. I just added a new tree to my collection, which arrived this week from a nursery known for proving quality citrus trees. The tree is a Trovita Sweet Orange and is healthy with the exception of the rootstock, which has a three inch section that is missing a chunk of bark. Is this something to be concern with or am I being overly sensitive to a non-existent problem? Will the tree grow without problems and produce good fruit? Should I contact the nursery and complain? I am a little disappointed as I was expecting a perfect tree (no apparent flaws). I paid a little over $40.00 for this tree. Any advices is greatly appreciated. This is my first post in this forum but I have been getting excellent information from here for years! Thanks in advance...

Comments (7)

• johnmerr
    11 years ago

The answers are yes, it will grow, as long as it is not girdled; and YES, I would ask the nursery for a replacement. For $40 you have every right to expect a perfect tree.

• cognackid
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for your quick response and great advice. I was leaning towards asking for a replacement but was unsure if I would be complaining about something that was typical or indicative of some root stock/orange trees.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    11 years ago

I agree with John, though I would stress that there can be a truly negative impact on the tree from the damage. Tree bark is a mighty defense defense system for the tree. One of the many things I look for when inspecting a woody plant at the nursery, is that the outer bark is undamaged. I've refused shipment of large trees that show signs of being damaged at the nursery or en route.

I'd like to see a picture, though...and it might be helpful to the nursery to have a picture.

• noss
    11 years ago

May I join in this thread about my two new mandarin trees with bark damage, as well, or should I start a new thread?

I got two little Page Mandarins and didn't notice when I picked them up that the bark is damaged on both. New bark is growing into the bare space. The damage goes from the root stock to the tree itself in one long strip on the one and the other one is the same except not so long a strip and there's another little spot on the tree trunk. I'd post a photo, but don't know how and my husband is away on his work hitch. I was wondering if there is anything I should do clean off the dark mildew that is on the tree trunk and that has discolored the wood inside.

I'm not losing any money on them and they have lots of leaves, but most of the new growth is full of leaf miners and they look awful, but are still green. They're not losing any more leaves than is normal, from what I can tell. I wish I had found them sooner in the season so I could give them some Foliage Pro to help them.

The bark that is filling in seems to be healthy-looking.

Thanks,

Vivian

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    11 years ago

Noss, one reason why it is important to start your own thread about your particular situation is that all of the comments will be sent directly to the original poster. HIS email could become busy with responses to your question. Not good.

Initiate your own thread, click on the option that allows responses to be automatically sent to you.

• johnmerr
    11 years ago

My philosophy of trees is that you are going to have them for a long time and invest a lot of energy and money; so you should start with the very best tree you can find/afford. It is sorta like buttoning your shirt... if you get the first button wrong, it doesn't matter how careful you are after that.

• noss
    11 years ago

Hi rhizo,

Okay, thanks for the input and I didn't think about posts going directly to the person who starts a thread. I can't remove my post, now, so everyone, please ignore it. I'll copy and paste it to a new thread.

Cognackid, I apologize to you if you get unwelcome email. If it's the same subject, then I hope anyone addressing my post will have relevant information for you, as well.

Johnmerr, Good post and I agree with you. I don't know why I didn't see such areas of injury on these babies, but they were only on the one side, are long and skinny and I did not see them. Hopefully, the trees will continue to heal and lay down new, healthy bark. It will be a good chance to observe and learn about this kind of damage and healing.

Vivian

Thanks