Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Transplanting Citrus Trees

Posted by spockvr6 Zone 9/10 (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 30, 05 at 12:51

Hello-

I have a couple of smaller sized citrus trees (Ruby Red Grapefruit and Tangelo) in my yard that Id like to move to another area. They were small when I bought them and have been in the ground roughly 3 years. At this point, they are maybe 5 ft tall and have roughly 2" diameter trunks.

How hard might these be to successfully transplant? Based on another small citrus tree I dug up in the past, I know the roots probably extend out quite a bit by this time on even these small trees. I wont possibly be able to get all the long roots when I dig these trees up (probably no more than maybe a 2 foot root ball as otherwise I will tear up too much of my lawn).

In this scenario, and in general, what are my chances of successfully transplanting these trees?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Transplanting Citrus Trees

5 ft tall 2" diameter trunks 2 foot root ball, Your going to need some top pruning..I would say 30/70 maybe less 10/90

o

What do you mean by 30/70 or 10/90?

o

Suggest rate 30-10 in your favor 90-70 against. Relocating a tree that size with a 2 foot root ball
Is going to take a big hit on the tree, I feel a 30-10 chance of making it would be in your favor a 90-70 is against you

A tree of that size in relocating is not all that great with a 2 foot root ball

You will need to top prune, because you would not have the root mass

Your best time would be in the early spring, before the growth begins

o

Transplanting is best done in Florida right about now . This will give the tree several months to go dormant with leaf growth but continue to grow new roots . The tree will be in the ground 6 months or more by the time our brutal heat hits in May . Water frequently and cross your fingers .
Why not try it ? If you lose the tree you can always purchase another one . Try posting this question on the Florida Forum .

o

I want to transplant an orange tree 30 yards away. tree is 7 feet tall and 6 years old. also i want to transplant angrapefruit tree that is 4 feet high and 6 years old. When do I transplant and how much do I cut back on the tree? thanks Jesse weller

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here