Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
laidbackdood

Hi From Aussie

laidbackdood
10 years ago

Hello everyone...esp Millet if he is still on here.
I moved from Auckland to Western Australia in dec last year and i am back into the potted dwarf citrus routine...sold all my old trees in Auckland and they were all going well.....these are my new additions
1.Dwarf meyer lemon
2.Dwarf washington Navel
3.Dwarf lemonade
4.Dwarf imperial Mandarin.
5.Semi dwarf navelina
6.Semi dwarf emperor mandarin (not in pic/recent addition)
Also have a dwarf avocado on the go too......heading into spring now and plenty of new top growth going on.....bought them just at the right time...so i could transplant before spring.........will be 30 degrees C by dec.......Citrus are commonly grown in the ground here and is in very sandy soil and very little rain in the summer but seem to grow well.

This post was edited by laidbackdood on Wed, Sep 4, 13 at 21:49

Comments (4)

• meyermike_1micha
    10 years ago

Well, so nice to meet you!

Might I say that you have quite a few good looking trees there and I hope they grow very well for you.
    If you get winters like I do it can be very challanging to grow them but rewarding for sure.

I too have miniature figs in pots and large ones too..I also have about 30 citrus of all kinds hoping to get more next spring, especially a Maiwa Kumquat!

I am not sure if Millet is still here but I wish he still was..

Welcome and boy do I wish I could say that spring is on it's way other than fall..But now it's your turn.I hope your summer is much warmer than mine was and gets off to an early start instead of a late one like mine.

What do you grow yours for? For the fruit? Or for the fragrance? How do you care for yours?
    What kind of soil mix do you use? Do you fertilize yours?
    Do you keep them inside all winter?
    How cold does it get there?

Love to hear experiences of others trees:-)

Mike

• laidbackdood
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi mike....i was on here before....in fact i am pretty sure i communicated with you about the magnesium fillings i was using on my trees...Caused a bit of controversy!!!..Do you remember?
    My trees went nuts ...both my lemon and my mandarin.
    Our seasons are the other way around...so its spring now...temps around 20C......in summer 30 to 40C....in winter lowest about 8 or 9C at night........To me it looks perfect temps......I read before citrus need to go under 10C for their acids to go to sweet.......The soils are very sandy but plenty off people grow in the ground here.....I grow for the fruits really.
    I use standard potting mix that has osmocote already added plus i add perlite and a little chicken poo(composted).....thats it.......I havent fed these at all((except for seasol seaweed).....I will leave outside in winter and put under shelter....it rains a lot in winter.
    You have a lot of trees!

• meyermike_1micha
    10 years ago

Oy yes, now I remember! It's been so long since I have seen or heard from you!

I hope you like your move...Yeah, I have so many trees, I might as well move south and take them with me..I even built a skylight in my plant room to accomodate them.lol

Glad to see you back although I am surprised you didn't ask for people like us, me...lol

MIke

• johnmerr
    10 years ago

Mike... think about moving REALLY south to Guatemala... the city of eternal Springtime... As I tell my friends and family...it is a place where you go out every morning with a big stick and beat your plants...just to try to keep them under control

Sponsored
Fourteen Thirty Renovation, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Professional Remodelers in Franklin County Specializing Kitchen & Bath