Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
suzy11_gw

Thinking of winter OHHHH

Suzy11
10 years ago

I have never used a grow light and I just want to have enough light in the house for my 2 trees & a mini rose bush. Can you suggest one please if I need one? Do you need a hummidifier and something else with it?

Comments (6)

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    10 years ago

Suzy
    recommending a light is just as difficult as recommending what soil to use. It all depends on how much natural light you can give it, how big your trees are, what temperature will you trees be exposed to.

Rule of thumb it get the most light output in lumens, not necessarily wattage that you can afford and feel comfortable maintaining.

Probably the cheapest and fairly good way is to get Aacouple of those 2 bulb 4 foot strip lights from Lowes or homedepot. Put side by side can suffice if you get bulbs in the higher color scale such as 5500k(daylight)

below is a link to a pretty good lighting comparison site.
    also there is a growing indoor forum here that is full of lighting advice.

mike

Here is a link that might be useful: lighting

• meyermike_1micha
    10 years ago

Suzy..Do you have room to put them in windows facing south or East? That is all you need...

Hello MIke!

Mike

• Suzy11
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi mike. Nice to talk to you again. Thanks very much for your great advice. A sliding glass door in the kitchen should work good for my. Calamodin it is about 3 feet. Outside the door is a roof which cuts off some light. My meyer is 6 inches. My Rosebush about 7 inches. Don't know where I willl put them yet. I just thought allittle more light would be nice. They will all be in the garage by two windows until it gets too cold. My friend has a greenhouse but I don't really want to send them away for the whole winter. Do I need a humidifier to use with the lights?

• Suzy11
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Mike, do the lights plug into a regular wall outlet? can you split up hrs for example 2 in the am, 2 in the pm? My mother is very afraid of fire

• Clm128
    10 years ago

the flourecent bulbs mike is talking about run on very low energy and dont heat up, you wont have to worry about fires at all. if you go with the high presure sodium then ur runnin a high watt high heat bulb and you need to worry. (also u may need to notify your insurance company its in the house.) incadacent bulbs are the same there high heat and higher risk of fires. if it were me i wouldnt split the light. just put it on a timer and let it run at whatever length of time u decide. i leave mine all day (around 16 hours) and they get maybe 5 hours of sun through the east facing window there in. the other thing thats good about flourecent and its low heat out put is it can be placed inches from your plants without having to worry about burning the leaves and this insures the most effective use of all the light given off. mine hang a few feet above as i have alot of trees to cover but it works great. my mandarine tree even has flowers and fruit and all my other trees are experienceing great new growth right now

hope that helps abit

chris

• Suzy11
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes Chris it does help me thank you very much. Okay I have another question. Two weeks ago we had a bad thunderstorm with a lot of wind. My Catamodin fell over and lost alittle bit of dirt, i have replaced I t. The trunk is still a little loose but not much. Should I steak it up and can I leave the trunk alone? The roots are Not showing? Why is it bad to leave the roots show?