Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Are citrus roots compatible with pipes?

Posted by fori CA (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 8, 11 at 13:51

Howdy! I'm planting several citrus trees (labor day sales got me!) and found a pipe in my hole. It's ~5" diameter PVC for the swimming pool, about 18" deep. Can I plop my little tree on top of it or will I end up with a plumbing issue in a few years when the tree gets larger?

And if it's okay from the pipe's point of view, would there be any problem for the tree with a sometimes warm, sometimes not warm pipe running through the roots? (The pool is mildly heated, but the pump isn't always on.)

Maybe I'm overthinking this...I'd appreciate any advice though. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Are citrus roots compatible with pipes?

Well, it's not optimal, but citrus roots tend to grow laterally, and are not trees that send down deep tap roots for the most part. Instead, then grow laterally and more superficially. Is the tree on semi-dwarf rootstock or standard rootstock? Semi-dwarf will have less significant root structure. I wouldn't worry about the roots, more worry about the pipe :-)

Patty S.

o

Thanks for the reply. I think it's semi dwarf--if not, I bought several and probably one is.

I guess I'm more concerned about the pipe than the tree--if the pipe has to be replaced of course, so will the tree...

o

I think your last statement tells you what to do.. move it.
I would move it only because, one day I might have to replace the pipe the the tree would suffer a lot for that.

FYI.. for most citrus, the older they get, the less they like being moved.

o

Thanks. I moved my hole a bit. They're still a little cozier than I would like but it's very important to have my citrus trees!

o

Remember, too, that as your citrus ages, the roots will get a lot larger and bulkier. The older a root is, the bigger it gets as it puts on 'weight' (wood). The newest roots are the very small and fragile ones; and they travel farther and farther away from the trees as time goes by; shallow but widespread.

So, it is not a wise idea to install a woody plant in the same hole (or near by) as pipes. At some point in time, somethings gotta give, and it won't be the tree.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here