Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
emgardener

Orange tree disease question w/picture

emgardener
14 years ago

Hello,

Does anyone know what this disease is on this Valencia orange tree?

{{gwi:624553}}

{{gwi:624554}}

I've cut back the stem twice now and the disease has re-emerged each time. Two other branches had the disease, but when I cut them back it did not re-emerge?

Is there any spray or anything that can be used? I'm really worried it will overtake the whole tree. I lost a apricot tree to this, really don't want to lose this wonderful orange tree.

Thanks in advance.

Comments (7)

• malcolm_manners
    14 years ago

Do the young green stems pop out with blister-like enlargements, which then burst to ooze this amber stuff? Are the leaves larger than average for the variety? Are at least some of the branches oddly shaped, in that they hang down under their own weight, more than a citrus branch should, and then curve up out at the tips? My suspicion here is that you may be seeing copper deficiency, and if so, it's very easily corrected with a single spray of any copper-based fungicide per year, or a nutritional spray or drench containing copper. There are various other diseases and disorders that can cause "gummosis" (the oozing shown in your photos), but not commonly on such young twigs. So I'm thinking copper deficiency.

Malcolm M. Manners
    John and Ruth Tyndall Professor of Citrus Science
    Florida Southern College
    Lakeland

• fofoca
    14 years ago

Wow, Dr. Manners, I'm amazed! Very interesting tidbit.

• jean001
    14 years ago

Where do you live?

And is the tree in a pot or the ground?

• jean001
    14 years ago

Here's more info about copper deficiency. Does it fit your tree?

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/CH142

Here is a link that might be useful: copper deficiency from UFL

• emgardener
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Wow! Thanks for all the great responses!

Dr. Manners,

>>>Do the young green stems pop out with blister-like enlargements, which then burst to ooze this amber stuff?

I believe so, although I've forgotten since I trimmed the stems awhile ago.

>>>Are the leaves larger than average for the variety?

Not sure, but some of the lower leaves are much bigger than average.

>>>Are at least some of the branches oddly shaped, in that they hang down under their own weight, more than a citrus branch should, and then curve up out at the tips?

Yes, I've been wondering about this. Especially in the past this was quite noticeable. The tree is about 6 years old.

Jean001,
    The tree is in the ground in the Bay Area California.
    Thanks for the link, I hadn't found that one before.

Also, this year I did give this tree a lot more nitrogen fertilizer. As an aside the below pictures a 5-gallon bottomless bucket, next to the tree, I use as a kitchen scrap decomposer. I put all kitchen scraps in the bucket and figure as they decompose they will feed the tree. I also fed the tree 3 quarts of urine (1 quart at a time) throughout the season. The tree looked the best it ever has, but maybe too much of a good thing.

Tomorrow, I'll go out and spray it with copper. I hope this is all it is. I was really worried about gummosis.

Thanks again

{{gwi:624560}}

{{gwi:624563}}

• fofoca
    14 years ago

emgardener, keep us posted! I can't wait to hear if a simple copper spray fixes the problem.

• jean001
    14 years ago

I don''t know why you'd have a copper shortage in the Bay area.

How about calling the folks at your county's University of CA Extension office and ask some questions about the soil in your are, also about growing citrus trees there.

Sponsored
Fairfax Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars53 Reviews
DC Area's Top Rated Kitchen & Bath Remodeling Experts