Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Orange tree disease question w/picture

Posted by emgardener (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 27, 09 at 14:03

Hello,

Does anyone know what this disease is on this Valencia orange tree?

Orange tree disease 2

Orange tree disease 1

I've cut back the stem twice now and the disease has re-emerged each time. Two other branches had the disease, but when I cut them back it did not re-emerge?

Is there any spray or anything that can be used? I'm really worried it will overtake the whole tree. I lost a apricot tree to this, really don't want to lose this wonderful orange tree.

Thanks in advance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Orange tree disease question w/picture

Do the young green stems pop out with blister-like enlargements, which then burst to ooze this amber stuff? Are the leaves larger than average for the variety? Are at least some of the branches oddly shaped, in that they hang down under their own weight, more than a citrus branch should, and then curve up out at the tips? My suspicion here is that you may be seeing copper deficiency, and if so, it's very easily corrected with a single spray of any copper-based fungicide per year, or a nutritional spray or drench containing copper. There are various other diseases and disorders that can cause "gummosis" (the oozing shown in your photos), but not commonly on such young twigs. So I'm thinking copper deficiency.

Malcolm M. Manners
John and Ruth Tyndall Professor of Citrus Science
Florida Southern College
Lakeland

o

Wow, Dr. Manners, I'm amazed! Very interesting tidbit.

o

• Posted by jean001 z8aPortland, OR (My Page) on
    Mon, Sep 28, 09 at 2:10

Where do you live?

And is the tree in a pot or the ground?

o
RE: Orange tree disease question -- more

Mon, Sep 28, 09 at 2:13

Here's more info about copper deficiency. Does it fit your tree?

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/CH142

Here is a link that might be useful: copper deficiency from UFL

o

Wow! Thanks for all the great responses!

Dr. Manners,

>>>Do the young green stems pop out with blister-like enlargements, which then burst to ooze this amber stuff?

I believe so, although I've forgotten since I trimmed the stems awhile ago.

>>>Are the leaves larger than average for the variety?

Not sure, but some of the lower leaves are much bigger than average.

>>>Are at least some of the branches oddly shaped, in that they hang down under their own weight, more than a citrus branch should, and then curve up out at the tips?

Yes, I've been wondering about this. Especially in the past this was quite noticeable. The tree is about 6 years old.

Jean001,
The tree is in the ground in the Bay Area California.
Thanks for the link, I hadn't found that one before.

Also, this year I did give this tree a lot more nitrogen fertilizer. As an aside the below pictures a 5-gallon bottomless bucket, next to the tree, I use as a kitchen scrap decomposer. I put all kitchen scraps in the bucket and figure as they decompose they will feed the tree. I also fed the tree 3 quarts of urine (1 quart at a time) throughout the season. The tree looked the best it ever has, but maybe too much of a good thing.

Tomorrow, I'll go out and spray it with copper. I hope this is all it is. I was really worried about gummosis.

Thanks again

Valencia Orange Tree

5 gallon food decomposer

o

emgardener, keep us posted! I can't wait to hear if a simple copper spray fixes the problem.

o

Mon, Sep 28, 09 at 23:38

I don''t know why you'd have a copper shortage in the Bay area.

How about calling the folks at your county's University of CA Extension office and ask some questions about the soil in your are, also about growing citrus trees there.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here