Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ccoombs1

Poncirus trifoliata 'Flying Dragon' seeds??

ccoombs1
16 years ago

I want to plant a hedge of flying dragons in the next couple of years. I have tried repeatly to propagate them from cuttings but have come to the conclusion that I am wasting my time. Growing them from seed is the only way to go. Problem is, I only have 2 small plants and there are maybe 4 oranges between them. Does anyone know where I can obtain a bunch of seed? I need at least 100. Any help or sources would be appreciated!!

Comments (13)

• karyn1
    16 years ago

The fruits are so seedy you might very well get almost enough from your oranges.
    Karyn

• ccoombs1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

yep....that is very possible. I'll find out soon! I wonder if the fruit needs to be ripe before I harvest the seeds? anyone know?

• lalibellule
    16 years ago

I got at least twelve trees out of one fruit. (I'm down to four; I gave some away and let some dry out in the heat.) I think it was ripe, but I'm not really that sure how to tell. It wasn't green, at least.
    I would love to have a hedge like that someday. Need a yard first, though. ;)

• malcolm_manners
    16 years ago

Yes, let the fruit mature thoroughly before you harvest it. Also be aware that a fairly large percentage of FD seedlings do not come true to type, and are less dwarf, sometimes not dwarf at all, just like normal Pt. Level of dwarfing seems to be directly related to how twisted the thorns are, so if you want really dwarf, "curly" trees, weed out any seedlings which make straight or nearly straight thorns.

• tsmith2579
    16 years ago

I wait until the fruits are ripe and drop from the tree by themselves. I open the fruits and plant the seeds while they are still moist. I don't dry them. Keep them warm by placing an incandescent light bulb (goose neck lamp) over them and moist by covering the tray with clear plastic. When they start sprouting, remove the plastic.

• malcolm_manners
    16 years ago

We did an experiment several years ago to see what system of storage gave the best germination -- planting fresh out of the fruit, drying overnight then planting, drying several days then planting, extracting from the fruit and storing moist, in the fridge, for various number of weeks (to achieve cold-stratification, assuming they might need it), and storing refrigerated and dry (as is standard for commercial citrus seed). Of all the methods tried, by far the best germination was achieved by using tsmith2579's method -- planting immediately out of the fruit.

If you've never extracted Poncirus seed, be forewarned -- wear rubber gloves, or plan to have a real challenge getting that sticky, vile-smelling juice off your hands! It's no fun at all.

• ccoombs1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for all the great information. I'll wait until the fruit ripens and falls before planting. should the seedling overwinter in the house under lights? I will be on the lookout for non-contorted seedlings....I do want the twisted looking plants of the true flying dragons. They are so cool looking!

• karyn1
    16 years ago

I collected a bunch of seeds from fruit that had dropped from the tree and was already soft and squishy. Take Malcolm's advice and wear gloves! It is pretty gross. I also planted them immediately after removing them from the fruit and had an excellent germination rate.
    Karyn

• bznursery
    16 years ago

Growing from seed isn't the only way to go. You can purchase seedlings already propagated. We sell Flying Dragon seedlings for 85 cents ea. Plus whatever the shipping charges would come to. We can bareroot them and ship them via UPS. That would give you about a year os so jump on your hedge. We also sell the seed by the quart. 1 quart runs $100.00 plus shipping and contains approx. 4200 seeds. If you harvest your own fruit let it fall from tree instead of picking. Cut fruit up and let it soak in water and baking soda to help release seeds.

• camquat
    16 years ago

Would you please tell me where I can get Flying Dragon rootstocks in Dallas Texas ?
    Thank you

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    10 years ago

I got mine on ebay. 25 seed for $5. I had a choice Flying dragon or it's fraternal twin Poncirus trifoliata. I took the later. Every seed came up but most die from rot around the collar (damp off). Use steril, not rich soil to hold down microorganisms. Don't let water touch or come within 2 inches of the trunk. I also use rooting compound to hold the trunk from damp off. This is more info than you are asking but will provide new people with help they can use.

{{gwi:606325}}
    seed grown poncirus trifoliata in 5 gallon pail

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    last year

They usually sell them by the pound, 8000 seeds