Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Citrus growing in south Georgia

Posted by DebbieP z8 Ga (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 10, 05 at 14:34

Hi,I need advice. I live in south Ga. and assume I should be able to grow citrus plants.I bought calomodin(it has small furit on it now)and a Nagami kumquat.We do get temps in the mid to lower 20's.My plan is to plant these in large pots.Do I need to bring them inside or leave them outside?I have a small greenhouse that is not heated I use for tender plants,sometimes I use a heat lamp but never had to use other heat here.Our growing season is long.Most years I can garden from early March until Thanksgiving or after.I'm also sheltered from frost should frost be a problem.Any tips for me?Thanks..Debbie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Citrus growing in south Georgia

Hi Debbie,

Welcome to the obsession, er citrus club. I have around 50 citrus in large pots. Watch your weather channel during the winter for temps dropping below 32. The kumquat and calamondin are very hardy, but prolonged exposure to temps in the 20s can severly damage or kill your trees. Since you only have two plants and plan to put them in pots, bring them in your greenhouse, if temps go below freezing. We have a long growing season in Louisiana, and I rearrange my trees in a temporary shelter around Thanksgiving week, too. I now have a 10 x 20 shade canopy frame to act as a temporary greenhouse during the winter. Lately, our winters have been very mild. If you desire, you can plant them in the ground but be prepared to cover them if you have an arctic blast.

Take care,
Mike

o

If you plant in the ground it would be a good idea to put some microsprinklers on the trees. If done properly you can use them to heat the trees. That is what I use and we have had no problem down to about 18F on some mornings. As long as the water does not quit it is amazing what you can do. Do a search on using microsprinklers for cold protection and you will find good info from The University of Florida.

o

Those are both good selections. You may also try many others, including, but not limited to, satsumas, meyer lemons, and various tangerines and a few sweet oranges like Hamlin.

o

There are many types of citrus that can be grown in ground in zone 8 with just a little winter protection. Ive been growing citrus outdoors for the past 20 years and enjoy the hobby very much. Ive come up with a name for citrus lovers such as myself, its CITRUHOLIC! Beware, once the citrus bug bites you its hard to break away! :) Heres a link with more info on citrus: http//speps.net/

o

GO FOR IT!!!PEOPLE DO NOT BELIEVE I HAVE MY POTTED CITRUS WITH MINIMAL HEAT IN WINTER.THEY ARE PROTECTED FROM FROST.I PUT THEM UNDER AN A- FRAME COVERED IN POLY WITH A 250 WATT BULB ONLY WHEN LOW 30'S UPPER 20'S THREATEN.YOU WOULD BE WISE TO LISTEN TO CITRUSMAN99,HE KNOWS HIS STUFF!!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here