Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
guinevtra

How long until blooms?

Guinnevtra
9 years ago

I have miniature two year old orange, lemon, lime and mandarin orange plants, and I was wondering how long until they start to bloom, and then fruit. One (I don't know how to tell them apart, my daughter took off all of the tags) died back to the ground last winter when it was unexpectedly exposed to frost, so I am assuming that it has to start all over. And the leaves are lighter than usual this year on all but the mandarin, do they have a nutrient deficiency? What is the type of fertilizer that I should be using? I was crumbling up citrus fertilizer stakes to put in the pots, but I'm wondering if there is anything better, or easier. Thanks, all!
Jen

Comment (1)

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    9 years ago

Okay. A few things: First, there is no such thing as a "miniature" citrus tree. You most likely have either dwarf or semi-dwarf citrus trees. Telling us where you bought them might help us to ID your trees for you. Also, if you post photos of each of your trees, and some close ups of the leaves, we might be able to help you ID which is which. Also, if you crush a leaf from each tree, you should be able to tell by smell. Lemon leaves smell lemony, lime leaves smell like a lime, and the orange leaf will not smell like a lemon or a lime. Lastly, and more importantly, the tree that died back to the ground is now probably nothing but rootstock. In order to make citrus trees smaller, is to use rootstocks that can impart dwarfing or semi-dwarfing growth habits. So, most likely, your tree that died to the ground had the scion (that's the cultivar that is grafted to the rootstock) killed, and what you're now seeing is just the rootstock. If it is dwarfing or semi-dwarfing rootstock, almost certainly the leaves from the rootstock will be "leaves of three", as those rootstocks are all trifoliate of some sort ("tri" meaning 3, and "foliate" meaning foliage or leaves). So, post up photos and let's see if we can help you id your trees. If your leaves are pale,l it's because you've not fertilized your trees. Citrus trees, especially container citrus trees, need to be fertilized regularly and frequently. Most of the container growers on this forum prefer to use Dyna Gro's Foliage Pro liquid water soluble fertilizer, full strength with every watering during the heavy growing season, then 1/2 strength in the winter, when growth slows. And, many will also use Osmocote Plus time release in combination (it MUST be the "Plus" formulation). Both of which can be purchased online. Some Lowe's are now selling Osmocote Plus as well (but you need to make sure you buy the "Plus" formulation, so the NPK ratio is appropriate as well as having all the micronutrients as well). And, as to how long until blooms, depends on whether or not the trees were indeed, grafted, or if they are really seedlings. If they're grafted, it can be anywhere between same year and about 5 years. If they are seedlings, some cultivars can take up to 12 or more years to produce. Lime seedlings can produce as fast as 3 years.

Patty S.

This post was edited by hoosierquilt on Sat, Sep 13, 14 at 15:57

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County