Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My new planted Mexican Lime. Help.

Posted by TracyPaleo Arizona (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 17, 12 at 15:06

I just planted my new Mexican Lime tree and it is dropping. Not, sure what is going on? Can anyone help?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My new planted Mexican Lime. Help.

Probably transplant shock; just make sure it is adequately watered; and after 2-3 weeks you can give it some good citrus fertilizer. The abscence of fertility encourages the roots to grow seeking food and water; after the roots grow, then the leaves and branches will start and those need food.

o

Thank you!

o

Check the moisture content of the original rootball. (Stick a finger in it.) Likely it's dry.

o

Concur with John. Transplant shock. Lots of water, shade in the hot AZ afternoon sun until it recovers. One you see signs of recovery, fertilize.

Patty S.

o

Thank you. This is what it looked like this morning. Yikes! The moisture content of the original rootball was dry. So, I gave the rootball water. I put shade up for it this morning too. I just pray it does the trick.

o

Oh boy. MORE WATER. Soak that tree. What kind of soil is the tree planted in? Do you know how quickly draining your soil is? Is it mostly sand, clay, calciche? I would make sure you fill that well at least 3 times. Make sure your soil is moist at least 24" down. Spray your leaves to help cool off and be sure to give your little tree some shade over the next couple of weeks.

Planting in the dead heat of an AZ summer is probably not the best time to put any plant in the ground, even a citrus tree. I often will avoid putting trees in the ground out here in S. California at this time, and I'm only 6 miles from the ocean. This is just a very dry, shocked little tree.

That being said, citrus are very resilient. Just keep this tree hydrated and cool. You may lose leaves, don't worry. As the tree recovers, you'll see new flush. Don't fertilize until you see definite signs of recovery.

Patty S.

o

Hi Patty,

I mixed cactus soil with the ground soil. Also, I checked for drainage before planting and it drains well. When I water it with 2 gallons it soaked it up real fast. The ground is moist . Thank you so much.

o

Okay. No need to amend your soil unless your soil is particularly alkaline (some parts of AZ have pretty alkaline soils, and some amendments with organic materials and soil sulfur may be necessary.) You're better planting in your native soil, and top dress with compost. Very good that you checked your drainage. So, definitely let's get that little tree very well soaked. Monitor your soil moisture. It should be moist (not soaking wet, but moist) 18" down. If your soil starts to dry, then it's time to water, again. A good long drink, enough of a soak to moisten the soil down 24". So, for you in AZ with well draining soil in the heat of the summer, that might mean a good soak 3 times a week. Just monitor your soil moisture to know. Keep us posted as to how your little tree fares.

Patty S.

o

Thank you Patty, John and everyone!

My little tree is coming back! I thought I was going to drown it with water but my little tree love it! I am so happy!!!

o

Great, Tracy! You can see it has perked up. Don't worry about the leaf drop. Give it a week or so, then put down some Arizona's Best Citrus fertilizer after first soaking well (never fertilize a dry tree.) Rake up your dead leaves to prevent fungal growth. Lastly, mulch your little tree to converve soil moisture. Keep the mulch away from the trunk by about 6 inches to prevent foot rot. And, make sure you create a nice well around your tree, so when you water your tree, the water runs out towards the canopy edge (that's the drip line and where your feeder roots reside.) You want to keep the water away from the trunk. Continue to widen your water well as the canopy expands :-)

Patty S.

o

Will do Patty. I already removed the leaves and the rocks I had holding the umbrella. Left the umbrella firmly in the ground after the dirt settled in place. There was baby cock roaches already eating on the dead leafs so I put down Garden Safe Ground Crawling Killer with Diatomaceous Earth powder. I hope the roaches don't eat citrus trees. I powdered very lightly around away from tree. I will follow your directions and THANK YOU so MUCH! I will keep you updated.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here