Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
in ground citrus - roots on top

Posted by jaybird3316 9 (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 7, 10 at 15:34

I have a couple of large citrus trees that I planted in ground (Pummelo and Grapefruit).

I planted them a little higher than the ground level to ensure good drainage.

One thing I noted was that there are some roots (small ones, an one not so small) that are exposed on top of the ground. I guess as I have watered a bit of the roots has been exposed. Is this a big problem or normal? On the Pummelo its not too bad because the pummelo provides a ton of shade to the roots. However, the marsh grapefruit isn't as shaded and it seems like the roots on top are fairly exposed.

Just not sure this is a problem. The trees seem to be doine fine, but wasn't sure if I was supposed to add dirt, etc. I know you don't mulch on tops of the roots.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: in ground citrus - roots on top

It should be fine, the exposed portion will form bark just like the trunk.

Surface roots are a major part of bonsai.

nebari= Also known as "buttressing", nebari is the visible spread of roots above the growing medium at the base of a bonsai. Nebari help a bonsai seem grounded and well-anchored and make it look mature, akin to a full-sized tree

o

It is very normal..:-)

Mike

o

Yeah, I definitely wouldn't worry about that. You may see small, slender roots right at the surface, or so close below it that you can expose them with just brushing dirt off with your hand. That's no big deal.

o

thank you many times over for your kind advice. Learn something new about these citrus trees every day.

I can rest well then.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here