Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
organic_flutterby

Questions about aftercare of repotted citrus

organic_flutterby
10 years ago

I have just repotted both my meyer lemon and key lime trees. It was a "had-to" situation since they were knocked over by high winds and lost quite a bit of potting mix.

They had been in whatever mix they came in from the nursery. I barerooted them and repotted into gritty mix. This is my first experience doing this, but I read everything here on how to do it.

What I didn't find too much of was the aftercare. I watered them very well and have placed them in partial shade. I'm not sure if that is the right thing or not.

I've read that a lot of trees drop their leaves after getting repotted. I guess I should expect that...OR is there a way to prevent it?

Should I water and fertilize as before or what should I do about that?

If they do drop there leaves, does their care change? Water, fertilizer, sun?

I love my trees and I hope I did an ok thing for them. Thank you all for your help.

Here's a picture of my newly repotted trees:

{{gwi:625181}}

Comments (8)

• laidbackdood
    10 years ago

You are right to leave them in partial shade for a while......let them settle into their new home.....I suggest you leave them for 2 weeks and dont fertilize at all....Did you add any slow release?
    I try to make the mix as boring as possible when i transplant and add inorgaanics...I like perlite......to improve the drainage.....I also keep them on trays with pot feet to keep the air flow under the pot and stop them sitting in water...citrus hate that.
    I water them with seasol(seaweed)...water first and then a weak solution of seaweed and thats it....the seaweed stimulates root growth.........Let the pots dry out between waterings......put a stick down the mix and if it comes out wet...dont water.....dont feed until you see top growth....this might be a while..esp if the roots arre doing their thing......They look healthy......in the long run...look for roots growing out the bottom of pot...then repot.....dont disturb the roots much next time....just tease roots out a bit and pick a pot that 2 to 3 inches bigger all around than the rootball.
    Some slow release osmocote with a npk 5/1/3 would be good on top when growth is going on....no need to mix into soil.....little and often is better...not up against the trunk............fish emulsion and seaweed make goodd organic liquid feeds...always water plant first before watering with the feed.....move to full sun gradually....in winter move to shelter from excess rain/cold winds.If you were careful with the trees they shouldnt drop their leaves.......you will know after two weeks if you pissed them off!...remove any growth from below the graft(presume they are grafted trees)...are they dwarf? because if they are not....they will fill those pots pretty quick.Good luck

• organic_flutterby
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks dood.

I filled a couple trays with small rocks and set the pots on them.

I did not add any slow release during the transplant or after. They are potted in a mix of Turface, crushed granite and bark fines.

Before the transplant I used Foliage Pro with each watering and will continue to do this when I see new growth.

This is day 2 since the transplant. The lemon shows no signs of anything, but the lime is starting to worry me. Some of the leaves are curling and the new growth on top is wilting. Do you think there's too much sun/heat?

If they are going to lose their leaves, when will that happen?

• meyermike_1micha
    10 years ago

It would concern me too...

I never have an adverse reaction to putting any tree into the gritty mix, or any mix for that matter, even after a bare root unless it has already got the onset of root rot...

Did you happen to check the roots out to those trees to see if they were very healthy?
    How about the mix? Did you make sure you filled in between all the roots to make sure they all survive?
    Are you watering often to keep the area where the roots are moist until they grow in and start to fill the pot?

You read correctly...Many people loose the leaves to their trees after a repot, if not done carefully..

I would attribute most leaf loss to a lack of sun protection right after, under watering in the griity mix, not covering the roots correctly with the mix, and the onset of root rot before one decides to give it a btter mix..

They should be fine, just make sure you don't let the root zone dry out using a wooden dowel or your finger if you can reach deep into the area where the roots are situated..

Good luck

Mike:-)

• organic_flutterby
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Mike~

I did see the roots and they looked very healthy to me.

I did the best I could do to fill the mix in. I did not wet the bark fines before potting the trees, I guess I missed that point. The other ingredients were wet because I had just washed them. The bark would only have absorbed some of that water.

Since I've had the lime leaves cupping and wilting some I decided to water a little more. I watered twice yesterday and it responded nicely by perking back up.

This morning the mix still felt moist so I did not water this morning. This evening it is still the slightest bit moist, but the tree is drooping again. The leaves seem to be yellowing as well. And one of the large grape size limes fell off. Today we had cloud cover most of the day, some sun, got around mid 80s. They were still filtered all day. I watered them.

I'm afraid of overwatering.

I just ordered seaweed extract but it will take 7 days to get here.

• meyermike_1micha
    10 years ago

If your mix is still moist, no need to water..But I would make certain the root area is moist..

I have a hard time figuring out what may have caused another's trees to react so poorly because it has never happened to mine. I can only assume something along the way must of caused it and not the mix or bare rooting itself since I never have an issue doing it.

You might have done something I am not aware of but one thing you can be happy about is this...You won't have to worry about root rot in that mix and as long as the roots look healthy, they will stay that way in such a great mix as long as you keep a close eye on the moisture. It will perk back up for good, and it may just take a bit of time before it stops sulking..I have faith it will respond nicely in no time..:-)

Mike

• organic_flutterby
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks again Mike, you give me hope!

Just trying to put it all together. The only thing I can think of that is questionable is whether or not I was able to fill in between all the roots well enough.

Perhaps that is the problem. So, is there something I can do about that now? Or will it resolve on its own, if and when the roots grow out?

Just curious, what happens if part of the roots die? How does it affect the rest of the tree?

This post was edited by organic_flutterby on Thu, Sep 5, 13 at 22:39

• meyermike_1micha
    10 years ago

If part of the fine roots die, you will usually notice wilt, curled leaves and or branch die back on ceratin areas' of the trees...
    Also your plant might have a hard time taking up mositure to certain parts of the tree.

Have you tried the hose method? Let me know...

MIke

• organic_flutterby
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It's been back and forth, wilting a little then perking back up after watering. It's holding its own for now, doesn't seem to be getting any worse. That's a good sign, isn't it?

I'm not sure what is the hose method.

Thank you