Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rachaele_gw

Two citrus tree issues, one yellowing, one curling.

RachaelE
11 years ago

I bought 7 citrus trees in the last month, all dwarf variety and will all be living in large pots so I can take them inside safely if Phoenix gets any freeze advisory's. I have used large glazed clay pots for all and my soil of choice was miracle grow citrus. They are all getting watered 2x a week right now because its hotter than the surface of the sun right now. They are also in about the same area, I got 5 facing south and 2 facing east which gives them 6-8 hours direct sunlight. I got smith blood orange, moro blood orange, a normal "orange"(didnt tell me what kind), minneola tangelo, bearass lime, meyer limon, and a fukushu kumquat. Needless to say I decided a wanted a mini citrus farm on my patio. They are all doing very well except the moro blood orange and the bearass lime.

The moro blood orange has been slowly turning yellow over the last week. Some of the leaves are now even starting to turn brown. It was doing fine up till the last week or so.

The bearass leaves are also starting to curl a little. Since they are all still green and not yellowing at all so I have been a little less worried about it. It has also had mostly curved leaves since I got it, but it seems to be getting worse.

I have attached pictures of each at two different angles. I am not sure what I am doing wrong, the only thing I could think of with the Moro is its getting over-watered? When I planted each I did 2 inches of medium sized rocks in the bottom so I would hope that is not the problem and they seem to be drying out between watering.

Anyone have any idea what I maybe wrong here? Or are they just settling from being potted.

Comments (6)

• RachaelE
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Picture 3

• RachaelE
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Picture 4

• houstontexas123
    11 years ago

is the Moro south facing? seems like sunburn.

the lime could be too much water.

your pots are pretty large, perhaps the middle of the potting mix is staying wet, while the top and sides are drying out. have you tested the potting mix in a pot by itself? does it dry out completely within a few days or is the middle still wet?

• RachaelE
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes, it is south facing, I think I will move it into a little bit more of a shaded area then.
    For the lime, it is in the largest pot I have. Most of the other seems to be quite dry. I bought the lime at another location, I don't think it was in the best condition. The area around them was flooded with water and a few of the trees had moss growing in the dirt so that would explain a lot. I will maybe back off to watering about once a week then and see how it goes.
    That soil I use I am pretty use to using. I have many other cacti and they normally dry out in about 2-3 days in a medium pot. I have never used quite that much of it in a large pot though. I will keep watching it with less water. Thankfully none of the others are having this issue.

• RachaelE
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes, it is south facing, I think I will move it into a little bit more of a shaded area then.
    For the lime, it is in the largest pot I have. Most of the other seems to be quite dry. I bought the lime at another location, I don't think it was in the best condition. The area around them was flooded with water and a few of the trees had moss growing in the dirt so that would explain a lot. I will maybe back off to watering about once a week then and see how it goes.
    That soil I use I am pretty use to using. I have many other cacti and they normally dry out in about 2-3 days in a medium pot. I have never used quite that much of it in a large pot though. I will keep watching it with less water. Thankfully none of the others are having this issue.

• GKGK
    11 years ago

Have you used granular fertilizer or Miracle Grow? I've seen this and unfortunately done it to my citrus. Too much fertilizer! You've given them salt toxicity. I have about 10 recovering from the pictured state right now and 20 that are on the way to a full recovery.
    The remedy is to flush with lots of water and transplant into fresh soil if possible. Do not feed until they have grown 3-4" or more. Feed at much less (1/4 to 1/8") the amount stated on the fertilizer package. Don't use Miracle Grow or non-organic granular fertilizer. Citrus is sensitive and that stuff will kill the roots much too easily.
    Once you kill some roots, symptoms of nutrient deficiency are identical to over fertilization. I found out last August; nearly too late. ... and still have multiple Citrus trees on day to day life support. Be patient. :-(