Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
meyermike_1micha

Grafted verses cuttings in container question?

meyermike_1micha
12 years ago

Which is better for container culture?

I ask because I have run across a few trees in which the 'TOP' growth will literally not do a thing while the root stock wants to keep pushing new growth! This can be quite a challange to many I know including myself.

I myself have actually grown many citrus from mature cuttings that grow very well, with no such issue.

I have a few Lemon Meyers on their own roots and they are all performing very well.

Thanks in advance

Mike

Comments (14)

• johnmerr
    12 years ago

The problem with growing cuttings is the root is usually not so strong or resistant as the grafting rootstock; of course if you take care of them like Mike, what difference does it make.

I have had trees that are resistant to growth, with the root continuing to make shoots; it is usually something like a Verticillium that gets in the small trunk and prevents nutrients from reaching the top. My solution is replace the tree; but my concept of trees....ANY trees is that it is a life commitment; so it's best to start with a good one.... kinda like buttoning your shirt... if you get the first button wrong, it doesn't matter how careful you are after that.

BTW I have also grown Meyers from seed... you eventually get a Meyer; but it may take 5 or 6 years to get a fruit... more like 10+ in US climates.. and, like rooted cuttings, the root is usually not so strong.

• Mad Ferret
    12 years ago

Is it possible that the graft hasnt taken well? I wondered about this when I got 2 trees recently and one has a really clean looking graft and the other looks like it could split at any minute.

Regards
    Nick

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks John and Nick!

Here is the thing.

I have a Calamondin that has not grown at all since I have recieved it. It seems to want to by giving off blossoms in the spring and seems to want to do it again.
    But what I can tell is that the trunk BELOW the graft line wants to EXPLODE with growth and I can not stop it.
    Every week for the past few weeks I have had to pinch off branches at the base and at one point when I could not reach that tree, it grew a branch a foot long with beautiful dark green leaves and thorns while the top does nothing.
    I was told by the seller to cover the trunk and it would discourage any further growth, but it did nothing. It is determined to grow back.

So I was wondering if no matter what you do, if there is the possibility of bad grafts?
    If you have had this issue too Nick, it makes me wonder just how many bad grafted trees there are out there?

I use to worry about certain root stocks having a short life span, now this. I am almost feeling like I should try a Calamondin mature cutting in a pot that is already in bloom.

Mike

• Mad Ferret
    12 years ago

I've not got this problem Mike and the 2 trees I have arnt Citrus but I do suspect one of the grafts as looking more than a bit dodgy and it led me to wonder just how well some grafts take.

• johnmerr
    12 years ago

Well, it ain't always the graft; as an example I have two young cinnamon trees at my lemon farm... they are not grafted... one is developing beautifully; and the one beside it has the problem we are discussing here... growth from the root, but not from the top.

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hey John

I will bet your weather must be beautiful about now. You know, I am beginning to think this is a very difficult question for most to answer here.

I thought there were many more knowlegable people here who know about grafted trees here.

Thanks for your help and that of Nicks thus far.

Happyy Friday to you both.

• Mad Ferret
    12 years ago

Sorry to ask but is growth from the root a problem on ungrafted trees? I can see the reason for it being a problem when te rootstock is taking over but when the rootstock is the same as the main plant, what's the problem with letting it grow?

Regards
    Nick

• johnmerr
    12 years ago

Well, for one, the tree is 2 years old and 6 feet tall; I don't really want to start over from the root...if it doesn't get better I will just replace it with another 2 year old tree.

• Mad Ferret
    12 years ago

So I assume your growing them commercially, which in that case is a fair enough point.

Personally I like the odd ball plants I see it as a chance to learn just out of interest how tall is it expected to be at that age? Is Cinnamon the variety of lemon, or are they actually the cinnamon trees you harvest for the bark?

Regards
    Nick

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hey John!

I have a feeling it is a true Cinnamon tree. If that is the case, since I have never ever had fresh cinnamon, might send you a check for a good amount money and grab a bit from you! I LOVE cinnamon, especially in oatmeal.
    It is cool here this am. It is 54 degrees already and my citrus seem to like it. I have to start planning to bring them in soon since this colder air is moving in faster than usual. When Hurricane Irene blew in and out, I think it took summer along with it!

Hey Nick: How is your tree doing thus far? I have managed to stop the rootstock growth on my tree, with no help of any citrus gurus here, but keeping my fingers crossed..lol

Have a great day to both of you

Mike

• Mad Ferret
    12 years ago

Hi Mike. Yeah it's fine, almost an instant improvement in fact wether it was soil related, root or light I'm not sure except even the new growth has coloured up nicely. It's pot is covered and its in the garden as were experiencing some rain. Well torrential downpours actually. Lol

The temp is dropping to 14C and less so I might bring it in for a few days.

I've removed a lot of the blooms leaving just 1 or 2 to the branch and some have set.

I also love cinnamon but I seriously doubt I could get that to grow.

Hope your well
    Nick

• johnmerr
    12 years ago

Yup, my cinnamon trees are the real deal; in addition to my 3,000 Meyer lemons, I am making my little farm into a virtual arboretum; but I have the advantage of Guatemala weather. My farm is at 500 ft elev. so it is quite warm; but here in the Capital city and in Antigua also are called City of Eternal Springtime. You have to go out every morning with a big stick and beat your plants to keep them under control!

I's Presidential election day here in Guatemala.

Regarding the citrus growth from below the graft and not on the top... one thing you can do is paint the trunk with white latex paint... the cheapest one you can buy and dilute it one to one with water; it not only inhibits suckering but also protects the trunk from sunburn when the tree is small.

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Rhizo!

I had one moment today to hop on this forum and send you a HUGE thanks!

You have always been there for my trees and I can depend on you most times for accurate, proffesional help, along with expertise and willingness to share. You nailed it for me.

Thanks again for your time and hoping you are well.

Mike