Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
blueboy1977

Sorry looking satsumas, HELP

blueboy1977
11 years ago

My neighbor just gave me a Mr Mac and Brown Select satsuma that's been in pots and in shade for at least 5 years now. She had these plants on her front porch and they got maybe 3 hours of filtered sun light in the mornings. They look like crap but I can't bring my self to trash them. All she feed them for fert is juice out of the worm composter she had, I got that as well. I watered them really good with rain water and they seem to drain pretty well. She said in the bottom of the pot is a 5 inch layer of sand to keep there feet dry. The one with dead leafs needs a hair cut, I think??? What's yalls recommendation? I could leave them in pots or put them in the ground. I'm in south Houston tx zone 9a/b where the 2 zones meet.

This is the brown select. It looks horrible!!!

{{gwi:575661}}

{{gwi:625442}}

This is the Mr Mac

{{gwi:625444}}

{{gwi:575658}}

And the worm composted. Not planning on using this for the citrus but for sure on the vegetables!

{{gwi:625447}}

Comments (8)

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    11 years ago

Oh boy. First off, pick off all fruit to give those poor trees an opportunity to survive. Then, be sure you fertilize WELL with something decent and formulated for citrus. Dyna Grow Foliage Pro is a great option. Be sure they get some shade in the afternoon until they are more acclimated to getting more sun. A little more at a time, over a few week's period. My gosh. Poor little trees! I know MeyerMike has saved many a citrus from the brink of death's door. I would definitely contact Mike for some advice. These are both very nice cultivars, and citrus is amazingly resilient. Hoping you have success!!

Patty S.

• blueboy1977
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Patty, I have some fertilome citrus fert but is it too late in the season to apply it?

11 years ago

No, not too late, but you MUST repot these poor trees in some decent potting soil, or better yet, in the ground. They are dry as a bone and fertilizing at this point will burn the heck out of them. Here in California, we fertilize from about February through October, every 2 to 3 months for in-ground citrus. I would think in Texas that your satsumas would be fine in the ground, as they are one of the most frost-tolerant of all citrus. Just plant near a wall of your home so they get some radiant heat. Hopefully some of our Texas forum members will speak up. If you're going to leave them in pots, then fertilizing year round is fine if they are being brought inside during cold snaps.

Patty S.

• noss
    11 years ago

Hello Patty,

I have a question. I live in zone 9a in South Louisiana and if I were to plant a citrus tree near a wall of my house, I'm thinking they would burn up in the summer from the radiated heat coming off the bricks/walls. Would you still recommend I put them near a wall in my climate?

Thank you,

Vivian

11 years ago

Well, I guess you would need to decide which would be better - getting too hot in the summer next to a protected wall, or suffering frost during the winter in an open area. Since I am not from your area, I will defer to those on the forum who live in Louisiana and are growing citrus in your area. Or, you can certainly refer to your local county extension office or extension web site for best planting site recommendations for your area.

Patty S.

• noss
    11 years ago

Thank you, Patty. I would rather have someone say as you did than give me wrong advice.

Vivian

• blueboy1977
    Original Author
    11 years ago

So I pruned all the dead branches off the Brown Select Satsuma last week after my post on here and just noticed a bunch of new sprouts coming out on the branches. I haven't repotted them yet or fertilized them. With new growth pushing the way it is should I still repot??? I know I should go ahead and fertilize but I was going to wait untill I switched out the soil.

Before pruning
    {{gwi:575661}}

After pruning
    {{gwi:625448}}

New growth
    {{gwi:625449}}

{{gwi:625450}}

• houstontexas123
    11 years ago

it looks so much better now.