Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Orange tree not healthy

Posted by cjalbertson none (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 22, 12 at 17:10

I have an orange tree that is unhealthy. Two others are doing very well so the climate is good. (I'm in So. Calif. near the beach) I'm using fertilizer that says "Citrus" on the bag and it seems t work on the other trees as they have a dark green almost blueish color and grow well. This tree does not grow well, the leaves fall off and are Yellow. It looks like lack of water but you see on the photos the grass around the tree is doing OK. I fill the basin around the tree with water a few times a week. The soil drains well here as it is mostly sand. A few years ago when I planted it I used a bag soil mulch-like stuff that was sold as being for citrus and cactus plants. The area gets some sun and some indirect sun. You can see in the photos that I have so many twiggs and not enough leaves. It did resently flower but I dout there will be any fruit I put some photos on "dropbox" here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/6dqfhmdv5mla3hj/Ns-V-DMMJY

It was worse but I started an aggressive watering and fertile program half a year ago and now it is better, gom of the leaves are green now.

You likely need more information. Just ask.

Here is a link that might be useful: Photos

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Orange tree not healthy

hmm, you could try and clear out the grass, about a 2' radius, and add some mulch.

how often do you fertilize?

o

What's the thing around the trunk at the base of the tree?

Could be hiding some serious damage. And if it's a rigid material, your tree will eventually be girdled.

If it's there to avoid damage to the trunk, do as previously posted. Clear a two-foot diameter area around the base of the tree. Ideal would be out to the drip line.

Frankly, if that were my plant,I'd replace it. If you keep it, it will be a long, long road back to health, if it ever gets there.

Jean
who gardened for 30-some years in SoCal including lemon, limes and oranges.

o
RE: Orange tree not healthy - more

And if you re-plant, make certain you allow much more room between the tree and the structure. (A house, right?)

o

Since the others are healthy, I would suspect Phytophera in the root zone; if it is, another tree planted in the same place will have the same problem. In any case, I would take out this tree; it doesn't seem worth saving.
Do you know what the rootstock is? Some rootstocks are more susceptible to phytophera than others.

o

I am in agreement with John, here. Your tree to me has classic signs of Phytophthora Root Rot. Same thing I believe I'm dealing with at my place (I'm about 6 miles from the beach). I would remove the tree. You can try to pot it up or replant it, and treat the new area by using treatment options listed in the link I provided you. It's an issue for us in S. Calif, especially in Orange County and San Diego County, where our weather by the beach is ideal for many kinds of fungal infections to proliferate, especially in the late winter/early spring when temps and environmental conditions are ideal (rainy season plus idea temps.)

Patty S.

Here is a link that might be useful: UCIPM: Phytophthora Root Rot in Citrus

o

Thanks, Patty. It is not a problem with Macrophylla; but when I was growing on Carrizo, I had a lot of problems.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here