Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
telling the difference between a lemon and grapefruit seedling?

Posted by gwendolyn8 none (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 4, 12 at 17:14

Hello,

I have two seedlings (well, several months old, at this point) that I had labeled as both being grapefruit, but they sprouted totally differently and one of them looks exactly like what I got when I planted a lemon seed a while back.

The one I suspect might be a might be a mislabeled lemon tree sprouted with five leaves, whereas the other one that I am fairly confident is a grapefruit sprouted with four leaves.

I am including a photo of both of them, now, and the one that I suspect is a lemon tree is on the left. They actually look more similar now that they've grown out a bit.

Anyway, do I have two grapefruits is the one on the left a lemon? I would appreciate any feedback.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: telling the difference between a lemon and grapefruit seedlin

Maybe if you actually posted the foto??

o

That's odd, it showed the photo in my preview- I'll try again!

o

Neither one is a lemon; look at the winged petiole, no lemon has that. Beyond that, I don't know what you have.

I would assume if your planted a grapefruit seed, you have a grapefruit.

o

Firstly, thanks very much for your insight.

If it's not a lemon then they'd probably have to both be grapefruits, but why would they sprout so differently from each other, with one having five leaves and the other having four?

o

They both look like grapefruit. You can tell by the leaf shape, as the poster above mentioned. Other citrus doesn't have that. As for 4 or 5 leaves, it's not that unusual.

If you planted the seeds yourself from fruit you saved, you can end up with a weaker tree than if you purchased a tree at the nursery. Flavorful budwood is grafted onto hardy but not so flavorful rootstock.

Here is a link that might be useful: What's Growing On?

o

• Posted by mksmth oklahoma 7a (My Page) on
    Wed, Sep 5, 12 at 11:34

the oils inside a lemon leaf smell strongly like a lemon. Grapefruit, at least my grapfruit seedling, doesnt have that smell. Limes smell like limes also.

break open a leaf and smell.

mike

o

Thanks for the relies, everyone!

o

And, lemons are almost across the board not true to seed. John is correct - that winged petiole is also not found on lemons, but mainly on grapefruits and pummelos. And Mike also gave you great advice - lemon tree leaves smell strongly like lemons. Very nice seedlings, though! It will be interesting to see what you end up with!

Patty S.

o

Patty, it is my understanding that most citrus seeds are polyembryonic. The first sprout from a polyembryonic seed almost always grow true to the parent fruit since they are not pollinated.

John

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here