Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
puggylover75_gw

Citrus Hedge Along Chicken Run....

Good Afternoon All,

I have an area in back of our chicken run that I would like to cover as it gets the blazing sun from dawn to dusk. Chickens maaaaay want some shade, just sayin :). The area is 24' wide by lets say 4' deep (might be able to do 5') and would not want taller than the run at 7'.

Question is will citrus do well as a hedge kept to those measurements. Was thinking 3 trees spaced 8' apart (Allowing 4' of growth on each side and maybe 2 to 3' front and back depending on placement (Maybe less on the fenced side again depends on placement)).

I have a grapefruit (Rio Red), lime (Bearss) and an orange (Washington navel) that are planted in the grouond but can be moved as they are small. Would those work or should I get something better suited?

Thank you for help in advance!

Jennifer

Comments (7)

• johnmerr
    9 years ago

If it were my project, I would plant 4 Meyer lemons (5 if they are on dwarfing rootstock); they will fill the space you have in short order and produce a mountain of fruit... especially being at the side of a chicken pen. Last year my wife asked me to buy some plants to make a fence/screen to "hide" the solar dryer (clothesline); I put in 3 Meyers on standard rootstock; and in one year the job is done... and it produces fruit.

• silica
    9 years ago

Mandarins and Satsuma are small size trees, especially when grown on dwarfing rootstock such as Flying Dragon. The trees would mature out aboout 6 - 7 feet. There are many varieties of mandarins and Satsumas, therefore you could plant varieties that mature their fruit early, mid, and late in the season, pluse the bonus of the fantastic aroma during bloom. - S-

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    9 years ago

Well, not sure I'd plant 4 Meyer lemons, unless you want about 500 gazillion lemons :-) They are VERY prolific producers. But, they do have a very good growth habit for what you're after. And as Silica has mentioned, so do Satsumas - low and a little weeping. They are very pretty, actually. Another nice option is Seedless Kishu, and my Rio Red's both are rather bush like in their growth habit. Kumquats, especially Meiwa, and Calamondins are also naturally compact trees. C35 rootstock will keep the tree robust and a little more compact as well. You will most likely not find anything here in California on 'Flying Dragon' rootstock. C35 is easily available, and of course, Four Winds uses Cuban Shaddock, which is also pretty dwarfing, so that's another option.

Patty S.

• Puggylover Zone 9B Norco, CA
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you everyone!

Even though I love the meyer lemon tree I in no way need anywhere near that amount of lemons. haha. My neighbor has one and it feeds 3 houses. :). Their blooms are beautiful.

My main concern was not having lower branches so I will research the dwarfing rootstocks a bit.

Thanks again!

Jennifer

9 years ago

Don't worry about having lower branches - just prune them off if they're too low. If you WANT lower branches, pick a tree that has a bush like form in the pot. You can prune up a little, if you need to. I would have some lower branches for shade. Pick your favorite cultivars. You should have enough room for four trees on C35 or Cuban Shaddock. Very nice chicken coop, btw.

Patty S.

• johnmerr
    9 years ago

The calamondin in particular tends to be a rather columnar tree and will have few if any lower branches; so if that is what you want for screen, I would not pick the calamondin. A Cara Cara orange on standard rootstock adapts well to screening.

9 years ago

Cara Cara here on standard rootstock will be too big. Much better on C35. My Cara Cara on C35 has lots of lower branches and is about 6' tall after 3 seasons going on 4 in the ground. And, it is a excellent choice as a cultivar besides having a good growth habit, as it is delicious :-) If I were choosing, and had to pick 4 trees, I would probably pick a Seedless Kishu, a Meyer lemon, a Cara Cara and a Cocktail pummelo hybrid. And, if you could squeeze in another, a Bearss lime. All have the right growth habit, and you get one of every cultivar, all excellent choices.

Patty S.