Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
leaves dont look like a Clementine

Posted by Tcamp30144 none (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 22, 13 at 17:45

I grew this tree from a Clementine seed its a little over a month old look to be hybrid. Was wondering if anyone had a clue what kind it could be by looking. At leaves.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: leaves dont look like a Clementine

Clementines are monoembryonic, so any seedling will be a hybrid of whatever other citrus pollen pollinated the flower. You would have zero idea of knowing just based on leaf shape. You'd have to wait to see what kind of fruit it produces, and how it tastes. And, that could take a bit.

Patty S.

o

Thank u I thought that would be the case that u couldn't tell by the leafs. its cute and healthy lol. So 5 to 16 years we will see what it is I guess lol. Its fun to grow just the same The clementine it came from was sweet it was like eating pure sugar. So maybe it got some sweetness from its mama lol.

o

Even more strange I got polyembryonic seedlings from same bag of Clementines. And the seed sprouted different the seed is still in dirt and shoots came up two. The first one I ask about pushed seed out of dirt and opened out of soil. Hybrid citrus is crazy lol I cross pollinated my libson lemon and mewei kumquat to see what it seeds grow. Getting into my new hobby I guess lol.

o

Very interesting. The stronger of the two might be a clone seedling. Or, it could even be two clone seedlings. Worth growing and labeling, to see what they eventually become and produce.

Patty S.

o

Of course I will grow them to seed I love citrus tree learned so much growing them over the years.

o

Update on sprouts

o

Update on sprouts

This post was edited by Tcamp30144 on Wed, Oct 9, 13 at 21:05

o

Clementine seedling will be 2mo on the 13th :-)

o

Crushed one leaf from it smelled like orange blossoms when it grows up should be a good tree.

o

3 more old now

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here