Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
citrus to create privacy?

Posted by DocHollywood 9b (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 11, 12 at 17:46

We have a 7 foot stucco wall on the east side of our backyard that I would like to plant a couple of citrus next to that would create some privacy from a two story home next to us. Rapid growth would be good and being able to maintain at about 20 feet. Type of fruit is not that important. Fullness and visual appeal is of most importance, but thought something edible would be a plus. Or, if anyone has ideas for some other kind of tree, I would appreciate that advice also. Vertical height more than spread is better. Horizontal planting area about 20 feet. The backyard is fairly small and I already have a mesquite tree at the west wall.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: citrus to create privacy?

it would take a couple years or more for most citrus to get that tall. tallest i've seen a grapefruit tree close to my home that is around 25-30' tall, the trunk is pretty thick, so i would guess its atleast 20 years old. it has a lot of big yellow grapefruits every year.

o
RE: citrus to create privacy?

I believe lemons are among the fastest growing. Look for a Lisbon lemon on macrophylla rootstock for your purpose. As for taller versus wider, that is a matter of pruning; they can be pruned to be a hedge if you like, or to any other shape you desire. Just be careful not to prune up the limbs to expose the trunk; it can sunburn the trunk and kill the tree.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here