Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
incunable1453

New Babies? Let's see them!

incunable1453
11 years ago

Dear All,

Have you gotten any new additions recently? Anything that has changed a lot since you posted pictures last? And, if yes, can we see them?

I have yet again been a recipient of MeyerMike's incredible generosity, this time in the form of a cutting from his stunning Ponderosa lemon. So, may I introduce my new tree, Plucky Ponderosa (he's young and spunky, as opposed to the older, more elegant Lovely Lemon). There's lots of new growth, and it's very healthy, so I expect it will be full and lush in no time. I'm terribly excited, and will be posting decent pictures next week when the good camera returns.

I am considering pruning the bottom branch to create a more tree-like shape. I don't want to waste energy on growth I'll want to prune later. Thoughts, anyone? Josh, perhaps?

Thanks for letting me share, and I'm looking forward to see other people's new trees!

Rebecca

Comments (10)

• incunable1453
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ah, apologies. I thought the picture was attached, but I guess not.

Plucky Ponderosa:

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    11 years ago

What a nice cutting!

I'm a big fan of low branching, and I generally prune in order to encourage back-budding
    lower down the trunk....so my advice is to keep that branch, which should help to thicken
    the trunk at the base. You can always prune it off later.

Josh

• incunable1453
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks so much for the advice, Josh. I will keep the bottom branch. It might not be visible in the picture since it's so lousy, but there's also new growth starting on the "trunk." Should I keep that from growing or will that help, too?

• meyermike_1micha
    11 years ago

Hey Rebecca! How are you this morning? I have been away from my e-mail but not this forum..
    I think I owe you one:-)

Now, you have two choices, you could either listen to Josh, or me and I say..Do what Josh says. His plants are amazing, the shapes he keeps his in. In fact, I am always asking him the same questions about oruning since I hate cutting anything off, although a part of me says I should.

I am going to assume he will tell you to let it all fill in at the bottom to keep in nice a full, symetrically perfect, but we'll see.

Now, if you just want a straight up tall tree, and full at the top like a canopy, then discount what we are saying..lol

Hope you have a wonderful day and hope to see you soon again!

Hey Josh! Hope you have a nice fallish day today. Mine will be here by Monday. High 60's and 40's by night.Brrr for all my plants!

Mike

• Ryan
    11 years ago

All of these are one year except for the Australian Sunrise, which is 8 months from seed.

Australian Sunrise
    {{gwi:626487}}

Kishu
    {{gwi:626488}}

Fukushu
    {{gwi:626489}}

Valentine
    {{gwi:626490}}

• johnmerr
    11 years ago

Mike,
    I tried, with my somewhat limited skills, to answer your question on "Another yellow leaf problem" as to why it is important to focus on the new growth versus the whole tree.

Hi, Josh... getting ready for Winter? To paraphrase a line from Jeremiah Johnson, Winter comes early here in the high country.

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    11 years ago

Howdy!
    Thanks, Mike! It's been back up in the low 90F's this week, and today the humidity
    is higher (due to some light rains and high Sierra storms earlier this week). No relief!
    I finished up a side-project for a neighbor this morning...and boy am I glad to be done
    calling gravel...for a while at least ;-)

Rebecca, I see that little sprout emerging right at the point where the larger branch is growing.
    In this case, I would rub off that sprout *because* it is growing from the same general point on the
    trunk. I would encourage new sprouts, if they should appear, to grow at different heights and
    sides of the tree for a full, even distribution of foliage up and down the trunk. Normally, I would
    say just let the whole thing shag out, but if you let the branches get too big, it may make for an
    ugly cut once you choose to remove it.

Hey, John! Although the oak leaves are falling, it sure feels like Winter's a long way off.
    In November, I'll start getting ready...but I am certainly thinking about how I'm going to keep
    my cold-frame warmer during bloom-time in late Winter.

Josh

• incunable1453
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ooooo, RyanLo, they're lovely! And only a year old? Nicely done, indeed.

Hi, Mike! It was very nice seeing you, too (and your mother, of course). I'm doing pretty well, though keeping an eye on the weather for this up-coming week. I love the cool weather, but I expect my trees will not.

I do really like the look of a tree with a nice canopy, but I'm willing to wait and do as suggested. Both you and Josh have lovely trees and I trust your advice implicitly.

I'm looking forward to seeing you again, too. I'd love to have you and your mother over for dinner, but want to get into my job and my new schedule first. Sometime soon, I hope. My email can wait until whenever you have time. She's only not growing, not dying, so time is not of the essence.

Josh, thanks so much! That's just what I'll do. It seems that there are little starts of growth up and down the trunk, so I'll leave those to grow as they will.

• incunable1453
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ooooo, RyanLo, they're lovely! And only a year old? Nicely done, indeed.

Hi, Mike! It was very nice seeing you, too (and your mother, of course). I'm doing pretty well, though keeping an eye on the weather for this up-coming week. I love the cool weather, but I expect my trees will not.

I do really like the look of a tree with a nice canopy, but I'm willing to wait and do as suggested. Both you and Josh have lovely trees and I trust your advice implicitly.

I'm looking forward to seeing you again, too. I'd love to have you and your mother over for dinner, but want to get into my job and my new schedule first. Sometime soon, I hope. My email can wait until whenever you have time. She's only not growing, not dying, so time is not of the essence.

Josh, thanks so much! That's just what I'll do. It seems that there are little starts of growth up and down the trunk, so I'll leave those to grow as they will.

• krismast
    11 years ago

Here's a picture of my Kaffir limes second growth flush for me. It seems like a nice bunch of new delicious leaves! On the last flush you can see some leaves got a few bites taken out. I'm assuming from some sort of grasshopper or other leaf eater.

{{gwi:626491}}

Kristopher

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus