Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tonyb416

Meyer Lemon Tree is flowering

tonyb416
18 years ago

Well, somehow, in zone 6 New Jersey, my first-year Meyer lemon tree is flowering. It's been kept outside in our backyard where the morning sun can warm it, sheltered from the wind by our wooden fence.

The evening temps here in rural Hunterdon County have reached the upper 50s so I am anticipating moving the tree indoors within 3-5 weeks.

But I'm just so happy this has flowered. My efforts to produce this effect -- I might have fertilized it twice and watered it once a week regularly (even left it alone for a week while we vacationed -- it seems that was the best thing to do!

It's like what everyone posts -- trees were here long before humans -- and they don't really need our help to do their thing. :-)

Comments (40)

• citruscrazed
    18 years ago

Congrats on yoru Lemons! Hopefully your young tree will be able to hold at least one lemon!! All of my meyer's are flowering right now too. Good luck and keep us updated!
    Matt

• tonyb416
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Here are some photos on photobucket...

{{gwi:626557}}

{{gwi:626558}}

{{gwi:626559}}

• AnotherAlterEgo
    18 years ago

Tony - Congrats on your Meyer Lemon blooming the first season you had it -- and in the Northeast, no less.

...And to think that some of the "experts" here claim Meyer Lemons are the most difficult containerized citrus to grow. When you bring it indoors this winter MAKE CERTAIN that you don't place the container directly atop the drainage receptacle. Instead, place pebbles in the tray, and set the container on top of it. -- You'll also need to eventually consider some new soil. You can go with coconut chips, which are discussed throughout the forum. You can also go with an easy-to-find mix of bark and peat-based potting soil (what most commercial nurseries use).

Once again, congrats.

• Millet
    18 years ago

Again congratulations, I know this make you very happy. Citrus trees flower mostly because of some type of stress. In sub-tropical areas it is from the cool of the winter months. In tropical areas where it never get cold, it is due to the dry season where water is, of course, witheld from the tree for a time. Your vacation from watering the tree turned out to be a blessing. Take care and continued good luck. Millet

• birdsnblooms
    18 years ago

Congrats..Meyer's will flower/fruit throughout the year. Hopefully, you'll soon see little balls which are the fruit.
    AAE, I think Meyer's is one of the most easiet citrus to grow..It's Calamondin's that give me problems..In fact, mine is dead..all thats' growing is rootstock.

Tony, you say you'll keep the tree outside for 3-5 wks? If it drops below 40 I'd bring it indoors..If the days are nice, you can do so gradually..take outside during the say, then bring in at night..Toni

• Millet
    18 years ago

Toni, I think Calamondins are the very easiest citrus tree to grow. They grow like weeds. You teach me how to grow Varagated Meyers, with out all the problems they seem to have, and I'll teach you how to grow Calimondins. - Millet

• AnotherAlterEgo
    18 years ago

Toni - Congratulations. The resident "expert" has asked for your help. You should save the post (like I have). Speaking of Calamondins, they've always given me a headache. They are among my favorites, mainly for sentimental reasons. But, I have a Calamondin placed in my front entryway which is currently in its 5th or 6th bloom cycle for the summer. It's the most gorgeous specimen at my home right now. However, something will ultimately happen that will cause me to go into "rescue mode" with it. Calamondins were th first citrus I ever grew in a container, yet it never fails that I have troubles with them.

Congrats again, Toni. I've always liked people from Illinois. You're the wo-man!

• Millet
    18 years ago

Giant EGO/Wordsmith, try being nice some time. Actually, I have two Meyers,(a varigated and standard) and they are doing well. I was just trying to extend a small hand of goodwill towards Toni, as my part of a begining to help people on this form to start getting along better, and you RUINED it as always. - Millet

• suzannesks
    18 years ago

DOWN BOYS...back to your corners! If we don't screw up ,we don't learn from it.I just lost a KUMQUAT,a KUMQUAT! And just ordered another so I can learn from it.Now shake hands and start again.....the FULL MOON was last night! :)***Suzanne

• AnotherAlterEgo
    18 years ago

Ahh, the life of someone who's misunderstood... Suzanne, first, I'm sorry to hear you lost your Kumquat. Do you know why? Feel free to post the problems here. I'm sure you'll get a few useful opinions. Secondly, there are no harsh words coming from this keyboard (not in this thread, at least). Through the months, I've seen so much condescending negativity aimed at Toni -- specifically through Millet. Truthfully, I think the (above) request for assistance is an ironic twist--and a pleasant one. It's a shame my words were accepted in such poor spirit. It's par for the course, I suppose.

• suzannesks
    18 years ago

AAE...yes,thank you for your concern about my Kumquat AAE, I appreciate it.But I would'nt give certain people the benifit of trying to analyze what went wrong.And I do apologize to you,you had every right to spank Millet.
    Millet,you are a bad boy! Back off...! Yes I do agree that Toni is preyed apon alott when she is trying to help,and it's nice that someone comes to her rescue.Thank you AAE,for looking out for us girls:)**Suzanne

• Millet
    18 years ago

EGO, there was certainly no misunderstanding of the intent of your thread. Nonetheless, this morning, I have already received a dozen or so private e-mails from some of my citrus forum friends who again are upset. Thank you all for your concern, but it's way past time to just start taking it easy and overlook the small stuff. Better that all of us try to show a modicum of respect to all members on this form. Life is to short. Regards to all. - Millet

• suzannesks
    18 years ago

Millet...well spoken.I knew deep down in there somewhere you are a good boy.LOL!(Arrogant at times but very Gracious).Now can we all get back to citrus? :)***Suzanne

• kybasche
    18 years ago

"Modicum" -- good word Millet!!! Now I've just got to find some place to use it to impress the heck out of people... or make them look at me with some sort of pained and confused look on their face; either way, what bliss :-D !!

~Derek

• AnotherAlterEgo
    18 years ago

Millet - I too am impressed by your use of the word "modicum". I am aware of at least one email that you received. I received a basket-load myself, likely with the same sentiments. Be that as it may, I will try to keep your "modicum" level of understanding (of my written words) in mind during future postings. Peace to you and to all who come calling.

• Millet
    18 years ago

SuzanneSKS- You sound like my Grandmother, and I really liked my Grandmother. - Millet

• tonyb416
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Geez, well... at least my tree is flowering ;-)

Thanks folks. Always a lively bunch and discussion in the Citrus thread...not like some others.

• suzannesks
    18 years ago

tonyb, yes your tree is flowering and it's going to be a lovely tree. And it will bless you with abundnt fruits.And by the way tony, you also take nice pictures.It's just another day at the ZOO! :)LOL! ***Suzanne

• suzannesks
    18 years ago

Or should I say "A RUMBLE IN the JUNGLE" of personalities.I have been looking at this thread all day long,trying to figure out why I'm even concerned with whats going to be said next? I guess it's because this forum is filled with the most Unique and colorful cast of characters that keep me very amused when I'm bored.So to All of you that have contributed to this thread,Please stand and take a bough.I truely admire all of you:) ***Suzanne

• JAGreen
    18 years ago

AnotherAlterEgo, you mention using coconut chips or a mix of bark and peat-based potting soil. I currently have my trees in good potting soil (I think miracle grow). I want the best for my trees. Can you tell me where I can find these soils?

Jessica

• AnotherAlterEgo
    18 years ago

Jessica - Millet was the first person to use coconut husk chips, as he will tell you. I think he can probably fill you in on where to buy them retail and how to go about preparing them for use in your containers. I only know about their availability via wholesale, and I doubt you want a truckload. Meanwhile, most premixed soils (such as MiracleGro or MetroMix) do not promote adequate drainage for containers more than 1-2 gallons. Such mixes are great for hanging baskets and vegetable starts, but I only use these mixes for propagating cuttings, starting seeds and growing out rootstock in cones. For the larger trees, I basically mix three parts pine bark nuggets to one part standard potting mix. I was suggested this mix by someone in the nursery industry several years ago and it has always served me well. -- It seems that many folks are sold on the coconut husk chips in this forum. And I'm certain they have many attributes. It's just that I have zero experience with them. How about it, Millet?

• birdsnblooms
    18 years ago

Calamondins, growing like weeds??? WEll, not my Cal.
    Meyer's are one of the easiest to grow. But, Millet, to be honest, I don't do anything different than I do with other citrus...You already know my soil mix..All purpose/sand/peat/and a couple hanfuls of Perlite. Drainage is more than sufficient..I used to feed with Azalia fertilizer but now use Citrus. I think I like the Azalia food better though and after the citrus fertilzier is gone I'm going to go back to Azalia food. Direct sun, outdoors in summer in the strongest light. In winter, daily misting, weekly inspections for bugs, No feeding and cooler temps in winter. The last year before I stupidly put my Meyer's in the gh when the heater went out it had 22 lemons. Most were fully mature..I'm talking a 5-5 1/2' tree. I have a photo of this tree just before it died.
    The problem with my last Cal I believe was the soil..I got the plant at a local nursery last summer..Evidently, the soil was too heavy, but I thought I'd leave it be till next spring..Big mistake..It died fast..no pests, but rotted roots..I'm happy to say, all my citrus are now in new soil and long, narrow plastic growing pots. I don't care about decorative pots when it comes to citrus or plants that dote on high humidity.
    Now, what about Calamondins? Toni

• westwood_2006
    18 years ago

hey guys i tried the Miracle grow with my Meyers i had for 6 yrs the tree roots Decayed so be carefull.. Beautiful tree now im jealous .. I need anotehr Meyers .. Any one wanna Eat a couple and send me some seeds ?
    Ill pay shipping and for the seeds grins (IM really serious .. i have my lisbon doing awesome here in oregon but i miss baking with the meyers there is nothing like that lemon to bake with .. ive had friends ask me to bake a lemon pie for work they have done then they sold Pieces to there kids LOL Tammy

• bencelest
    18 years ago

Hey, Tammy I think I know you!!! I am not sure but I think I know now your reason.

• Christine Horan
    7 years ago

birdsnblooms, where do you get a grafted meyer lemon tree for $20.? Oh, look at the date of post! 2008 ! In 2016 I get a grafter Meyer lemon tree for $45. Plus S&H. If I can get one now for $20. Please let me know??

• Christine Horan
    7 years ago

Can I get a reply? 4 yr. old Meyer lemon tree grafted potted just flowered after repot in coir.CAN I FERTILIZE WITH FLOWERS & hopfully fruit? CANT GET AN ANSWER ? In doors about high 70s under 250 cfl watt -4600 K bulb? I'm flowering & don't want to lose all my fruit or flowers BUT MY LEAVES NEAR 8 buds at top of almost no leaves limb are in vein turning yellow & last I'm losing leaves & don't want to lose flowers & leaves? PLEASE HELP????

• Christine Horan
    7 years ago

Tonyb416- in NJ you said you posted photos but I can't get then to come up.Im close to NJ , Meyer is potted 4yrs. Old & flowered 1 st. Time & leaves left near flowers are turning yellow in vein & turning yellow & falling off. Can I fertilize with flowers on ? All my leaves will be gone what can I do to keep leaves & flowers? Your outdoor temps are close mine are indoors? Please help me ?

• Vladimir (Zone 5b Massachusetts)
    7 years ago

Can you post a photo?

It is normal for leaves near fruit to show nutrient deficiency, which is what your tree is doing. However, I would male sure to fertilize with Foliage Pro 9-3-6.

A poor soil mix may contribute to the problem. What is it planted in?

• Christine Horan
    7 years ago

Vladimir,it's potted ,my 4 yr.old Meyer lemon.under 125 watt CFL,4600K bulb.I don't want to over fertilize lose any chance of fruit.so put foliage pro in soil or (spray on leaves? )? 1st flowering.Thank you so much 4a replyI've asked so many times & cant get a reply Even fr.ppl.with great big citrus & long experience ❤️Thank you !

• Christine Horan
    7 years ago

My meter lemon4yr.potted 1st. Flowering is potted in (1/4 coir 1/4(well rotted( store bought bagged) manure& 1/2 pearlite for drainage. How do I apply foliage pro? Spray on leaves or at watering in soil? How often ? I hate to lose More leaves & Anymore flowers or Possible fruit? Please advise me how to apply Foliage Pro? Vladimir?

• Christine Horan
    7 years ago

You asked mix & potted ,now you know all.its in warm rm,upper 70s day & I told you lighting b4.Need too know where to apply & how often? Praying for a speedy response?

• myermike_1micha
    7 years ago

I have already told you that mix you are using is useless and so anything you do for it will not help..Your trees will attract spider mites if it has not already and fertilizing at this time of the year with stressed roots won't help either..You will just make things worst...Is that speedy enough for you?)))

If you are keeping your tree heated above 70, you can expect dropped leaves and fruit unless you provide at least 12 hours of sunlight and light, it is going to suffer...

7 years ago

Christine, Mike is correct in telling you that the mix you use is not a good one. It probably holds too much water, so you have to be very careful about overwatering it. But it may not be a good idea to repot now because citrus do not do well when repotted this late in the fall. You either have to give it more light or drop the temperature down to 50 F. The poor mix and warm temp + not enough light will cause leaves to drop.

Fertilizing now is not a good idea and will make things worse.

• Christine Horan
    7 years ago

It gets 12 sometimes 20 hrs of sun( if I fall asleep with my 126 watt CFL 4600K bulb .what about adding more pearlite ? The Room is very warm ,heater is set on79 & I put a heating pad on the pot in high for a1/2 hr..I just felt the roots & there a lot deeper than when I repotted it,ALOT DEEPER.I think root ball had doubled since I repotted it 2 MO. Ago! Any ideas

• myermike_1micha
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

There is NO such thing as 20 hours of 'sun' unless you live on Mars...Or at the North or South Poles..Lights are no way as good as the 'sun'...... If you are talking about leaving your 'lights' on 20 hours, that's not healthy either..Maybe your roots are focused too much on growing and not enough of top growth, which is not good either...All I can tell you is that pics speak a thousand words and the leaves look terrible..I'd like to see the roots..Can you take a pic of those?

You are doing something wrong because if you were getting that much root growth, the top should be doing wonder too...

• Christine Horan
    7 years ago

I don't get any sun in our windows & just to get 1/2 hr.here & there I'd have to move the tree a few times for 20 minutes each. The best I can do is cfl bulb .that wasn't cheap,I'm on SSI & don't get enough to live on .to buy another set up .when I get my other phone going I'll try to take it out of pot to show you the. Roots ,if you don't believe me .

• myermike_1micha
    7 years ago

Christine..I believe you, don't get me wrong...I just want to make sure that what you think is healthy is what we can all agree on..Then from there, with healthy roots we can make that tree much better! )

7 years ago

Christine, Mike is just trying to help you. He knows what he is talking about.

• Laura LaRosa (7b)
    7 years ago

Christine, one of the many things I've learned on this board is that citrus need rest - meaning darkness. If I understand it correctly, they produce starches throughout the day and then use 95% of those starches during the night. I would make sure you turn off those lights every night. I turn on my lights around 6:30am and off around 9:30pm.

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner