Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
dwarf citrus care

Posted by surewhynot85 (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 22, 10 at 18:16

i have a relatively young tree that i have a few questions about. The tree of subject is a dwarf grafted Valencia orange tree. I ordered it off line in February from larry's orchid. It looks fairly healthy dark shiny green leaves. i have it in a 32qt. pot i think, and i displaced some soil with water bottles on the bottom i was advise to not put it in too large a pot. I feed the tree with holly tone fertilizer for acid loving pllants. It has stopped making new branches, but is grow out the old ones very slowly, i was wondering if i should be doing anything to it, pincing, or anything like that, or just leave it alone. also is that pot the right size, or should i go larger or smaller any suggestions would be nice. dimensions mainly. and hello by the way, i am a new user

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: dwarf citrus care

I can't say anything about the size of the pot without knowing how big the tree is. I don't think that filling the bottom with water bottles is a very good idea, though. It's bad for drainage. If you need it in a smaller container, you should really use a smaller container and not try to modify a big one.

Citrus love nitrogen, and Holly Tone (actually all those "tones") doesn't have enough. I wouldn't modify anything now, though. It's pretty late in the year and getting to be time to give our plants a last dose of fertilizer before winter. If your tree looks healthy, I wouldn't fiddle with fertilizer changes until spring.

Even a dwarfed citrus tree can get to be 20 feet tall if you don't prune it, so you should definitely prune it sooner or later. The easiest way to prune is just pinch off the green sprouts as they come out, but there's nothing wrong with using clippers. The best time to prune (if you need to use clippers) is also the spring. You should definitely plan to clear out any in-growing branches and any branches that cross each other, and if you have more than 2 branches growing from any one spot you should trim them down until there is only 1 or 2. You can prune for height at the same time, to keep the tree a manageable size.

If I may ask, what zone are you in? And what kind of potting mix are you using?

o
RE: dwarf citrus care

its almost 2ft tall and very bush andthick

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here